American Sign Language

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
ILuvEire
Re: American Sign Language

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-03-29, 4:42

I was sent this video today, by someone asking me to confirm the signs. THEY ARE WRONG.

I then looked further around their site, and noticed that Expert Village posted tons of these ASL videos, which were wrong most of the time.

Do not watch Expert Village's ASL resources. They are wrong.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Tukkumminnguaq

Postby Tukkumminnguaq » 2009-03-31, 7:10

I can teaching you in ASL cause im fluently ASL 100% =]

I might put video in youtube....OR other easily video (like not freeze etc)

But i too shy put video of myself haha! Kidding
[flag]en-ca[/flag][flag]sgn[/flag][flag]iu[/flag][flag]kl[/flag][flag]ale[/flag]
[flag]qu[/flag][flag]tr[/flag][flag]yrk[/flag][flag]evn[/flag][flag]ckt[/flag][flag]itl[/flag]

[̲̅̅N̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅b̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅d̲̅][̲̅̅y̲̅] [̲̅̅K̲̅][̲̅̅n̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅w̲̅][̲̅̅s̲̅][̲̅̅.̲̅] [̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅i̲̅][̲̅̅f̲̅][̲̅̅e̲̅] [̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅s̲̅] [̲̅̅T̲̅][̲̅̅h̲̅][̲̅̅e̲̅][̲̅̅y̲̅] [̲̅̅K̲̅][̲̅̅n̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅w̲̅] [̲̅̅I̲̅][̲̅̅t̲̅][̲̅̅.̲̅]

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2009-04-01, 23:34

Amaqqut, do you really speak ASL in Nunavut? I thought you had been taught some sort of Canadian Sign language... :hmm: :)

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-04-02, 4:01

Neqitan wrote:Amaqqut, do you really speak ASL in Nunavut? I thought you had been taught some sort of Canadian Sign language... :hmm: :)

Quebec has its own sign language, but other than that most Canadians speak a variant of ASL.

Amaqquk (sorry if I butchered your name).

Do you guys up there sign like this? All of those signs were wrong from around here.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Tukkumminnguaq

Postby Tukkumminnguaq » 2009-04-02, 10:38

Neqitan wrote:Amaqqut, do you really speak ASL in Nunavut? I thought you had been taught some sort of Canadian Sign language... :hmm: :)

LOL Canadian deafies speak ASL as well but kinda different Canadian ASL dialect and USA ASL dialect lol

my native sign is Inuit sign language and ASL (Canadian ASL) and i knows some all signs LSQ, LSE, BSL, NZSL, BANZSL JSL etc lol

ILuvEire wrote:Quebec has its own sign language, but other than that most Canadians speak a variant of ASL.

Do you guys up there sign like this? All of those signs were wrong from around here.

Hehe Quebec sign call is "LSQ" Langues des signes de Quebecios" more similar ASL than other signs

Eh? This video seems more baby signs but kinda like SSE moreover....yea sometimes i seen this video familiar. but our ASL more new stuff unlike old ASL or SSE

This video signs "Pretty" and "Chair" is different to us
and Dance same sign us, but funny Table/Flower kinda same
[flag]en-ca[/flag][flag]sgn[/flag][flag]iu[/flag][flag]kl[/flag][flag]ale[/flag]
[flag]qu[/flag][flag]tr[/flag][flag]yrk[/flag][flag]evn[/flag][flag]ckt[/flag][flag]itl[/flag]

[̲̅̅N̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅b̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅d̲̅][̲̅̅y̲̅] [̲̅̅K̲̅][̲̅̅n̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅w̲̅][̲̅̅s̲̅][̲̅̅.̲̅] [̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅i̲̅][̲̅̅f̲̅][̲̅̅e̲̅] [̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅s̲̅] [̲̅̅T̲̅][̲̅̅h̲̅][̲̅̅e̲̅][̲̅̅y̲̅] [̲̅̅K̲̅][̲̅̅n̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅w̲̅] [̲̅̅I̲̅][̲̅̅t̲̅][̲̅̅.̲̅]

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-04-03, 4:21

Amaqqut wrote:my native sign is Inuit sign language and ASL (Canadian ASL) and i knows some all signs LSQ, LSE, BSL, NZSL, BANZSL JSL etc lol

I'm learning Swedish SL (STS I guess?), NTS (Norwegian Sign), BSL and a wee bit of JSL. Can you fingerspell in JSL? It's hard!

ILuvEire wrote:Quebec has its own sign language, but other than that most Canadians speak a variant of ASL.

Hehe Quebec sign call is "LSQ" Langues des signes de Quebecios" more similar ASL than other signs

So is it more like a really divergent dialect of ASL? Those darn Quebeckies, trying to start their own sign language! :P

Eh? This video seems more baby signs but kinda like SSE moreover....yea sometimes i seen this video familiar. but our ASL more new stuff unlike old ASL or SSE

This video signs "Pretty" and "Chair" is different to us
and Dance same sign us, but funny Table/Flower kinda same

I wonder if she is using baby sign? I sign 'SPRING' sometimes for flower, one of my deaf friends (deafies :P) started me doing that.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2009-04-03, 15:02

You're probably right, since all courses I've seen offered to learn Sign Language over here are about ASL actually.

ILuvEire wrote:
Amaqqut wrote:

LOL Canadian deafies speak ASL as well but kinda different Canadian ASL dialect and USA ASL dialect lol

my native sign is Inuit sign language and ASL (Canadian ASL) and i knows some all signs LSQ, LSE, BSL, NZSL, BANZSL JSL etc lol

So is it more like a really divergent dialect of ASL? Those darn Quebeckies, trying to start their own sign language! :P

You know, they always love to think they're a "distinct society". :)

Tukkumminnguaq

Postby Tukkumminnguaq » 2009-04-04, 11:41

ILuvEire wrote:I wonder if she is using baby sign? I sign 'SPRING' sometimes for flower, one of my deaf friends (deafies :P) started me doing that.

our signs "spring" like "plant" or "growing" lol

and here LSQ I am more understandable what he say and more similar ASL/LSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96kjcy-5ZnU

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-12-05, 6:09

Does anyone know of like a user on Youtube or a site that has videos and transcriptions, like the one titled "Story 1" on this page. I believe things like that would be the best way, for me, if I were to learn ASL from online materials. It's a lot easier to see the signs and emotions in context rather than just from a dictionary. :wink:
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-12-12, 5:06

Sean of the Dead wrote:Does anyone know of like a user on Youtube or a site that has videos and transcriptions, like the one titled "Story 1" on this page. I believe things like that would be the best way, for me, if I were to learn ASL from online materials. It's a lot easier to see the signs and emotions in context rather than just from a dictionary. :wink:

Any college textbook on ASL would have something like this, just with pictures instead of a video. I can personally recommend this. Also, there are some users on Youtube who make how-to videos on how to interpret a song into ASL, this is a good example.

Keep in mind that the context you're talking about it really part of grammar. ASL expresses mood in many ways, one of which is facial expressions. The dictionary is not going to do this for you, just as a spoken language dictionary wont decline a noun for you or anything. A book that would be a wonderful investment would be A Prosodic Model of Sign Language Phonology. It delves deeply into ASL's rich morphophonology (if you'd consider the parts of a sign phonology; I do) Look around a used bookstore, I got it brand-new at a used bookstore for $15.

Just in general, try to find some Deaf people to talk to. They've got a lot of learner's groups around the US, try to find one. True ASL (the fun stuff ;) ) is woefully underrepresented.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2012-06-29, 5:40

So, I've just started Lesson 8 on Lifeprint, and am having a ton of fun! I can't get enough of ASL. I'm learning very fast, and have a great teacher. :mrgreen: Is there anyone here that might like to practice over video chat?
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2012-07-09, 3:16

Today I started Lesson 14. This unit is about weather and seasons. Is it sad that already, after only 2 or so weeks, I can form sentences better in ASL than Basque, which I've been studying for almost 2 years? I guess it helps having someone to practice with. ASL just feels very natural to me. I struggle a bit with using facial expressions, but I'm getting better. :)
Trans woman  Image

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2012-07-11, 0:53

Hildakojon wrote:Today I started Lesson 14. This unit is about weather and seasons. Is it sad that already, after only 2 or so weeks, I can form sentences better in ASL than Basque, which I've been studying for almost 2 years? I guess it helps having someone to practice with. ASL just feels very natural to me. I struggle a bit with using facial expressions, but I'm getting better. :)
I think that the facial expressions are easiest to learn by interacting with other signers. Try finding a real-life signing community--for one, you haven't had any luck finding Unilangers (and I don't have any sort of video capabilities) and for two, ASL is highly regionalized so the signs you learned from me (as an example) would probably be relatively different from the signs used up your way. I mean, I haven't had trouble communicating with Deaf people outside of Austin, but I can definitely tell that they have an accent that's different from mine.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2012-07-11, 1:02

Damn, I've got the ASL bug now! :( I must learn this! It is an indisputable obligation of mine as an American language buff!
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2012-07-11, 5:04

ILuvEire wrote:
Hildakojon wrote:Today I started Lesson 14. This unit is about weather and seasons. Is it sad that already, after only 2 or so weeks, I can form sentences better in ASL than Basque, which I've been studying for almost 2 years? I guess it helps having someone to practice with. ASL just feels very natural to me. I struggle a bit with using facial expressions, but I'm getting better. :)
I think that the facial expressions are easiest to learn by interacting with other signers. Try finding a real-life signing community--for one, you haven't had any luck finding Unilangers (and I don't have any sort of video capabilities) and for two, ASL is highly regionalized so the signs you learned from me (as an example) would probably be relatively different from the signs used up your way. I mean, I haven't had trouble communicating with Deaf people outside of Austin, but I can definitely tell that they have an accent that's different from mine.

You might not have seen it, but my girlfriend is a second year student of ASL at our high school, so I have her. Her teacher uses the book A Basic Course in American Sign Language, replacing outdated and other regional signs with our region. The teacher herself is hearing, but is more than fluent in ASL.

If anyone wants to seriously study ASL, I'm still open to chatting with some. :)
Trans woman  Image

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2012-07-14, 4:52

Hi, I'm going through that ASL University course linked to on the first page, and I want to learn to fingerspell my name. My name though has an acute accent in it - 'Ciarán', and it doesn't say how to show accents like that in the fingerspelling alphabet. Do you guys know how to fingerspell 'á'?

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2012-07-21, 2:24

Ignore the accents, the alphabet is based on English which contains no accents.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2012-10-30, 14:06

I finally found an ASL partner! We practiced for about half an hour, and it was fun. We had to resort to English a couple times, but it was mostly ASL, with some fingerspelling.
Trans woman  Image

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-07-13, 21:29

One-and-three-fourths-of-a-year bump! :lol: I'd like to finally start learning at least one sign language instead of just limiting myself to spoken languages. (Not starting to learn any conlangs yet, though. It'll probably happen someday. And I'll probably start with Esperanto).

I think I'll start with just learning the alphabet. I figure if I don't learn anything else in ASL, I should at least learn enough to fingerspell using more letters than just V, I, J, A, and Y! :lol:

I'm just using this, and...ow! It hurts to say 'I love you' in this language. :para: I can't stretch my pinky finger as far back as they show in that picture. I hope that isn't seen as a disfluency or something. :lol:

So I remember A, B, and C pretty well...But God, some of the letters feel so hard to remember, like G. And P! I have to remember to lower my middle finger. :P

OK, now I think I remember all of them. For now at least. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-08-15, 4:27

OK, by now, I seem to have pretty much learned the alphabet and also the words for 'hello', 'how', and 'you'. I also learned how to say "how are you," which pretty much means making the sign for 'how' and then pointing to the addressee, but there's the additional detail that you have to raise your eyebrows at least a little or at least look friendly when asking that question to show that you're just trying to greet them.

Facial expressions are pretty important in ASL. This is another aspect of ASL that reminds me of Kathakali. In Kathakali and other classical Indian dance styles, it's not enough to use hand gestures; you have to also use very exaggerated (and very rigidly defined) facial expressions in order to convey meaning in addition to the gestures. The facial expressions indicate your (character's) mood. In this particular case, at least, I think it's a bit like that in ASL, too.

Return to “Other Languages”