Plautdietsch

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Oachkatzlschwoaf

Plautdietsch

Postby Oachkatzlschwoaf » 2007-05-24, 22:55

Has anybody heard of Plautdietsch or Mennonite Low Saxon?

It's a language/dialect related to Low Saxon, spoken by the Mennonites in Canada and Latin America.

I'm just wondering, because my stepfather is Mennonite, and he whenever he's really mad he'll start rambling in Plautdietsch. It's funny actually.

Plautdietsch: Wua es mient Rüm?
Low Saxon: Woneem is mien Ruum?
German: Wo ist mein Zimmer?
English: Where is my room?

I suppose I'm just raising awareness here, and curious to see if anyone knew of it.

I even found this dictionary:
http://www.mennolink.org/doc/lg/index.html
Native: Castilian (Castellano)
Fluent: English (English), Galician (Galego)
Proficient: German (Deutsch)
Learning: Chinese (中文), French (Français)
Basic: Russian (Русский), Romanian (Română), Italian (Italiano), Czech (Čeština), Arabic (العربية), Japanese (日本語)

MySpace

A nevem Jégeső Móric! Szeretnél táncolni velem? :]

foram

Re: Plautdietsch

Postby foram » 2008-10-11, 6:45

Yes I live in a mennonite/anabaptist town. Those ladies with covered hair and their husbands are everywhere. They are good at cooking. Their language, Plautdietsch, sounds like German, but with plainer consonants. It's pretty cool, I sometimes gather one or two words of theirs.

But the resources for learning it are abysmal; I hear that their spelling is not standardized. It's too bad, they must not mind that others can't learn it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Boes

Re: Plautdietsch

Postby Boes » 2008-10-11, 9:36

foram wrote:Yes I live in a mennonite/anabaptist town. Those ladies with covered hair and their husbands are everywhere. They are good at cooking. Their language, Plautdietsch, sounds like German, but with plainer consonants. It's pretty cool, I sometimes gather one or two words of theirs.

Mennonite Saxon is a kind of a mixed language. Most of the Mennonite were native speakers of various Low Saxon dialects, whereas their leader (Menno Simonszoon, which is why they're called Mennonites) and the initial "hard core followers" were Dutch, and spoke Dutch. So Mennonite Saxon is a Low Saxon dialect, but with a large Dutch influences, which especially comes forward in their church rites. (Of course there's been a growing English influence since they arrived in North America)

Return to “Other Languages”