Romani

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
ILuvEire
Re: Romani language

Postby ILuvEire » 2012-04-29, 2:31

This is really, really interesting! I might start following these lessons. Nais tuke, Romaninet!
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

הענט

Re: View on Romani and About Them

Postby הענט » 2015-12-14, 14:45

Can anyone tell me what palalate means. It's in this earworm of a song. Palalate palalate te merav. Te merav means Die!!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-14, 17:42

I've never been completely sure, but I think it means something like 'for her'. Literally pala late means 'behind/after her', and te merav literally means 'that I die'; here, I think it means 'may I die'. So pala late te merav! = may I die for(?) her!

הענט

Postby הענט » 2015-12-14, 18:19

Nice. :) thx

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-14, 18:21

Np :)

cHr0mChIk

Re: Romani

Postby cHr0mChIk » 2017-10-02, 21:53

I am a speaker of Romani language and I can make new lessons if people are still interested in it.

I can also link some more resources for learning Romani. :D
Speaks: English (en) Bosnian (bs) Serbian (sr) Romani (rom)

Learns: Arabic (ar) Urdu (ur) Pashto (ps)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-10-03, 16:53

Which variety?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

cHr0mChIk

Postby cHr0mChIk » 2017-10-05, 15:39

I would try to include as many as I can, and make comparisons :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-10-06, 14:33

I believe he was asking which you speak.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-10-06, 14:44

Yeah, there are a lot of learning materials available (particularly for Vlax) but finding a willing speaker to explain the intricacies of their variety is a much taller order.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-06, 15:25

I'm most familiar with Vlax and particularly with Romani as spoken in Romania. I'm sort of familiar with Angloromani as well but (at least going off the top of my head) only have little tidbits of information to contribute regarding Sinti, Manush, and the differences between the major groups of varieties (peripheral vs. Balkan vs. Vlax). I guess I could also help contribute something.

My knowledge of Serbian Romani (for example :silly:) could definitely use some work; I can't understand it for the life of me when it's spoken naturally (even though Romanian Roma don't seem to have much of a problem with understanding it), and native speakers have trouble understanding me because I don't know how to water down my variety when I'm talking to them like they know how to do that with theirs.

There are also a few books on a bunch of varieties I'm not so familiar with at our university library, and I can access them by just hopping on over there. I can also list them if anybody's interested in those.

Znex

Postby Znex » 2017-10-28, 3:14

In my bachelor paper that I'll finish near December, I'll be studying and quantifying the theoretical linguistic distance (and so by extension, mutual intelligibility) between six different Romani varieties, so I'll share the link to it in this thread when I'm done, if people like?

Also in my free time, I'm learning Sinte; though I can't guarantee it's accurate. :o

Znex

Postby Znex » 2017-12-03, 23:29

Here's the link to my paper if people are interested. I compare six different dialects, basically selected to represent the main dialect groups (eg. Vlax, NW, NE) as are usually described.

cHr0mChIk

Postby cHr0mChIk » 2017-12-06, 20:46

I was actually writing a paper myself on Romani language some months ago, but never finished it... Kind of wasn't motivated enough and eventually stopped working on it.. but I plan to finish it one day... It was just an idea I had and wasn't structured enough, and it's far from finish.

It actually started with scribbles I was making while learning Gypsy long time ago... sort of the little notes I was taking in my small notebook... then, as I wrote more and more and more to it, it started looking quite messy and unstructured.. however, it had a great deal of information in there in a very small scale, so I decided to perhaps take all which is written in there, and structuralize it a little, retyping it and structuring it nicely on computer...

It started like this, and then as time passed I started adding things which weren't in the notebook, and instead of just being a random text it started taking a form of a scientific article... as I expanded it more and more... However, there are still a lot of things I haven't touched upon and it still is far from finishing.

Though I did cover a lot of topics, such as greetings, common vocabulary, verbs, conjugations, tenses, nouns, pronouns, declension, etc etc... it still isn't finished... I, kind of, have bigger priorities at the moment, but one day I might get back to it hopefully...

When I was thinking of posting lessons in this thread, I was thinking of using some of the material I had written in there...

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-28, 12:13

cHr0mChIk wrote:I was actually writing a paper myself on Romani language some months ago, but never finished it... Kind of wasn't motivated enough and eventually stopped working on it.. but I plan to finish it one day... It was just an idea I had and wasn't structured enough, and it's far from finish.

Are you still working on it?
No matter what, don't give up! What you're doing may spark people's interest towards Romani. :wink:
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

cHr0mChIk

Postby cHr0mChIk » 2018-02-28, 12:20

atalarikt wrote:Are you still working on it?
No matter what, don't give up! What you're doing may spark people's interest towards Romani. :wink:

I'm not, however I'm planning to get back to it soon inshaallah. When it's finished - I'd surely share it here in this thread :)

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-28, 12:31

cHr0mChIk wrote:I'm not, however I'm planning to get back to it soon inshaallah. When it's finished - I'd surely share it here in this thread :)

Glad to know that. Keep the good work up!
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-28, 13:27

vijayjohn wrote:I've never been completely sure, but I think it means something like 'for her'. Literally pala late means 'behind/after her', and te merav literally means 'that I die'; here, I think it means 'may I die'. So pala late te merav! = may I die for(?) her!

Interesting. Kurds use the same expression "to die after someone":
li pey te ez mirim

(see for example in this poem
https://hunerakurdi.com/gotin/diyar/tîn ... 01/esmerê/ )

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-04-23, 0:47

It's an expression common to the Persianate Sprachbund - you can find it as well from Persian to Punjabi and from Armenian to Azerbaijani. :D
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-04-23, 18:41

That's interesting, too. Do people also die "after" someone in Hindi/Urdu?

In Romani, prepositions are often borrowed from Greek; pàla is related to Modern Greek πάλι (páli), which among other things could mean 'back' in Greek and means both 'behind' and 'after' in Romani. In Romani, when it immediately precedes and modifies a noun, the noun must be in oblique case and then -te 'in/at' has to be added to it.

Return to “Other Languages”