Learning an Aboriginal Language

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

LinguistWolf
Learning an Aboriginal Language

Postby LinguistWolf » 2017-09-17, 4:26

Hello. Recently, I've been fascinated with the idea of learning an Aboriginal Australian language. However, I can't find any resources for them. What Australian language has the best resources for someone who lives in America and can't buy expensive textbooks? Thank you.

Karavinka

Re: Learning an Aboriginal Language

Postby Karavinka » 2017-09-18, 3:57

I'm assuming Warlpiri? Take a look at the language resources here:

https://anthroyogini.wordpress.com/abor ... resources/

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-06, 14:30

I'm not sure if you found the answer already, and I'm equally not sure if the link already has the information I'm about to give (I've seen the link before, but I can't remember what specifically is on it).

Anyway, IAD Press has put out some good materials on several AALs (Australian Aboriginal languages). It seems their stock in store is a bit lower than I remember, so you may want to snatch up what you can.
Most textbooks run for somewhere between 20-35$ and most dictionaries are around 60$. The textbooks aren't the most expensive. You can still find many of their publications online (whether second hand or not). I have quite a few of their textbooks and am currently learning Arrernte.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-09, 12:05

Which of Australian languages has the most audio resources (recordings, songs, videos, audio/video lessons, films) available on the internet?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-09, 12:11

That's a good question. :hmm:

My first thought would be Pitjantjatjara, but I'm not really sure.

From what I have searched, that aren't a lot of things online for many of them. Though I haven't searched Youtube much, so there might be stuff there. Then again, most of my searched revolve around either Arandic or Wati dialects, so.....

Anyone else have anything?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-10, 1:03

I happened across this today:
http://bininjgunwok.org.au/resources/books/

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”