Amazigh languages (especially Tachelhit, Tarifit and Kabyle)

n8an
Posts: 641
Joined: 2010-09-01, 6:56
Gender: male
Location: Melbourne
Country: AU Australia (Australia)

Amazigh languages (especially Tachelhit, Tarifit and Kabyle)

Postby n8an » 2020-10-11, 6:23

Does anybody have any good resources?

I'm especially looking for Tachelhit, and there's very little. I've found a few in French but since my French is so bad I'm not having much look.

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 13193
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Amazigh languages (especially Tachelhit, Tarifit and Kabyle)

Postby księżycowy » 2020-10-13, 16:58

I know a few (in English) for Tuareg and Tamazight, but that's about it. I can post them if you're interested.

n8an
Posts: 641
Joined: 2010-09-01, 6:56
Gender: male
Location: Melbourne
Country: AU Australia (Australia)

Re: Amazigh languages (especially Tachelhit, Tarifit and Kabyle)

Postby n8an » 2020-10-14, 12:24

księżycowy wrote:I know a few (in English) for Tuareg and Tamazight, but that's about it. I can post them if you're interested.


That would be really great! Thanks!

I'm mostly interested in Tachelhit, but I've only really found one resource for that and I'm not having a ton of luck with it.

Luckily, I do have a friend who's a native speaker and I'm posting bits and pieces of it on HelloTalk and it seems like a huge amount of people in Morocco do actually speak Amazigh languages (more than what Wikipedia claims, anyway).

n8an
Posts: 641
Joined: 2010-09-01, 6:56
Gender: male
Location: Melbourne
Country: AU Australia (Australia)

Re: Amazigh languages (especially Tachelhit, Tarifit and Kabyle)

Postby n8an » 2020-10-14, 14:21

https://friendsofmorocco.org/Docs/Tashl ... ok2011.pdf

This is the textbook I've just opened up

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 13193
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Amazigh languages (especially Tachelhit, Tarifit and Kabyle)

Postby księżycowy » 2020-10-16, 9:54

n8an wrote:That would be really great! Thanks!

I'm mostly interested in Tachelhit, but I've only really found one resource for that and I'm not having a ton of luck with it.

I mostly know of similar resources for Tamazight.
https://www.livelingua.com/course/peace ... ge_Lessons

But then there is also this: http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/94555 (Which you can get the audio for if you go here: https://lsa.umich.edu/lrc)
https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/94551
http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/94550

For Tuareg I'm very interested in Tuareg Elementary Course (Tahaggart) by Prasse. There are other resources (potentially for other Berber languages/dialects as well) here: https://www.koeppe.de/hierarchy.php?mode=S

n8an
Posts: 641
Joined: 2010-09-01, 6:56
Gender: male
Location: Melbourne
Country: AU Australia (Australia)

Re: Amazigh languages (especially Tachelhit, Tarifit and Kabyle)

Postby n8an » 2020-10-16, 10:21

księżycowy wrote:I mostly know of similar resources for Tamazight.
https://www.livelingua.com/course/peace ... ge_Lessons

But then there is also this: http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/94555 (Which you can get the audio for if you go here: https://lsa.umich.edu/lrc)
https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/94551
http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/94550

For Tuareg I'm very interested in Tuareg Elementary Course (Tahaggart) by Prasse. There are other resources (potentially for other Berber languages/dialects as well) here: https://www.koeppe.de/hierarchy.php?mode=S


Thanks so much!

That Tamazight one is basically the same textbook as for Tachelhit, which is super awesome - now I can see how different they are :D

How did you get interested in these languages? And how did you decide which to focus on?

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 13193
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Amazigh languages (especially Tachelhit, Tarifit and Kabyle)

Postby księżycowy » 2020-10-16, 13:36

I mostly became interested in them because of my interest in Arabic, and North African/Middle Eastern history. As for which ones I decided to focus on, it basically came down to what resources I could find.

n8an
Posts: 641
Joined: 2010-09-01, 6:56
Gender: male
Location: Melbourne
Country: AU Australia (Australia)

Re: Amazigh languages (especially Tachelhit, Tarifit and Kabyle)

Postby n8an » 2020-10-16, 14:08

księżycowy wrote:I mostly became interested in them because of my interest in Arabic, and North African/Middle Eastern history. As for which ones I decided to focus on, it basically came down to what resources I could find.


Awesome!

I always knew Darija was heavily influenced by Tamazight phonetically, but this brief introduction has made that theory come to life for me.

I went for Tachelhit because one of my close friends speaks it natively, and I thought there would be a lot of resources for it as the most spoken Amazigh language...though it seems like Riff, Kabyle and Central Atlas Tamazight may have that honour. Maybe those groups have emigrated more and thus never had an Arabic education, and as a result been more involved in efforts to preserve the language?


Return to “African Indigenous Languages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest