Somali

hindupridemn
Somali

Postby hindupridemn » 2020-02-23, 3:35

Cann anyone here read Somali?

hindupridemn

Re: Somali

Postby hindupridemn » 2020-02-25, 18:29

among other books I collect, I collect books written in foreign languages and now I'm trying to sort all my books by Dewey Decimal System (because I'm such a nerd). I have a book in Somali that I can't find out what the subject is in order to classify it

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-02-26, 3:16

hindupridemn wrote:among other books I collect, I collect books written in foreign languages and now I'm trying to sort all my books by Dewey Decimal System (because I'm such a nerd). I have a book in Somali that I can't find out what the subject is in order to classify it

If you can post the title, I can probably help.
Also, for many books, you can go worldcat.org and type in the title or ISBN number or other information that you have, and it will (usually) provide the subject and other information about the book. It's meant to help with finding libraries that have the books you're looking for, but from what you've described I think it would serve your purpose well too.
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

hindupridemn

Postby hindupridemn » 2020-02-27, 1:43

Jidkii Nabaddoonka

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-02-27, 2:24

hindupridemn wrote:Jidkii Nabaddoonka

Does it have this secondary title: "Qiso-nololeedkaygii anigoo ergay nabadeed ka ah adduunka Islaamka dhexdiisa" and/or is the author either Axmed Cali Xayle (Somali spelling) or Ahmed Ali Haile (same name in English spelling)?

If so, it appears to be an autobiography of a Somali-American Mennonite Christian's life in Somalia. The title appears to mean "The Road to Peace" or "The Way of Peace" with the subheading "the story of my life as a messenger of peace in the Islamic world". Worldcat has the subject listed as "Christian converts from Islam - Somalia - Biography" as well as "Christian converts from Islam - United States - Biography" and "Peace-building - Religious aspects - Mennonites."

The same author also has another book called Teatime in Mogadishu: My Journey as a Peace Ambassador in the World of Islam which seems likely to be an English version of the same book, or something quite similar. Amazon's page for the book in English says that the author is originally from Somalia, has been a "peacemaker" among Somalis in Somalia, Kenya, Europe and the U.S., and lost his leg in a grenade attack.

Probably more info than you need since by Dewey classification all you need is to know that it's a biography. :D
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

hindupridemn

Postby hindupridemn » 2020-02-29, 0:01

Thank you very much linguaphile!

hindupridemn

Postby hindupridemn » 2020-03-03, 1:51

and thanks for the WorldCat tip... I'll be using it a lot lol

Return to “African Indigenous Languages”