Malinke/Mandinka language

Massimiliano B
Malinke/Mandinka language

Postby Massimiliano B » 2018-03-06, 22:13

Linguaphile

Re: Malinke/Mandinka language

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-07-04, 15:56

Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-10, 0:23

Thanks for these resources (as well as all the others for various other African languages)! Am I right in thinking I've read somewhere that there are several varieties of Mandinka but they're mutually intelligible?

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-11-10, 1:00

vijayjohn wrote:Thanks for these resources (as well as all the others for various other African languages)! Am I right in thinking I've read somewhere that there are several varieties of Mandinka but they're mutually intelligible?

That's true of Manding languages, but they aren't all called Mandinka. There's Mandinka, Maninka (Malinke, Malinka), and Maninkakan at least. Maninkakan and Maninka have several varieties. I'm not sure about different varieties of Mandinka itself, but probably some people call Maninka "Mandinka" so in that case there would be. The names can get a bit complicated.
Bambara and Dyula are in the Manding language group, too. So is the language called Xaasongaxango (aka Khassonké).
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-13, 4:12

Oh, OK, yeah, I was thinking of the Manding languages and easily get them confused with Mandinka. Thanks again!

Return to “African Indigenous Languages”