Bambara

klonesy
Bambara

Postby klonesy » 2009-04-09, 21:18

Hey people, I am looking to see if anyone here is interested in getting together and building resources for learning Bambara. For those who do not about the language, it is the largest natively spoken language in Mali and is also spoken in several countries nearby it. It is also mutually intelligible with a number of other languages in the Manding family.

I personally do not speak it, but am very interested in learning and would like to gather as many people as possible to work together on it.
"Quid superest de corporibus?" Juv.Sat.3.259
http://www.quidsuperestdecorporibus.blogspot.com
Fluent: English (native)
Advanced: Latin, Ancient Greek
Basic: German, Mandarin, Esperanto

peterlin

Re: Bambara

Postby peterlin » 2009-04-10, 13:06

Knowing Unilang a bit, I wouldn't count on any sustained interest on the part of general public, but who knows? Myself, I won't be committing much to learning, but I plan to include a short outline of Bambara as a part of my project "African Languages from Z to A".

Resources - do you have any not linked to over there ? (scroll down a little bit for Bambara-specific ones).

Why do you want to learn it? Planning to spend some time in Mali?

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2009-04-12, 4:19

I know a little about African languages. I speak a little Yoruba and Wolof.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

klonesy

Postby klonesy » 2009-04-13, 1:19

I plan on studying because I have a deep interest in the culture of Mali. I am also a religion/cultural anthropology major in my college and would want to learn the native language of the country (alongside French of course). I have begun to study Swahili a bit also to cover some of Eastern Africa as well.
"Quid superest de corporibus?" Juv.Sat.3.259
http://www.quidsuperestdecorporibus.blogspot.com
Fluent: English (native)
Advanced: Latin, Ancient Greek
Basic: German, Mandarin, Esperanto

entrentity

Postby entrentity » 2009-05-01, 21:22

peterlin wrote:Knowing Unilang a bit, I wouldn't count on any sustained interest on the part of general public, but who knows? Myself, I won't be committing much to learning, but I plan to include a short outline of Bambara as a part of my project "African Languages from Z to A".

What is this project? It sounds intriguing.
I put some effort into researching the demolinguistics of Africa and I produced this map, which very roughly shows the linguistic situation of the continent. Jula/Dioula is a mutually intelligible form of Bambara, apparently, which is understood in western Burkina Faso and northern Côte d'Ivoire. I've got too much on my plate to be learning Bambara, but I definitely want to try out at least one Niger-Congo language in the future, and this might be the one.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2009-05-01, 23:34

Bambara is such an interesting language!! I don't speak a word of it, so I wouldn't be interested in OR qualified :P to make resources for it. One of my favorite singers, Oumou Sangare sings in Bambara though. Take a listen!
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

peterlin

Postby peterlin » 2009-05-02, 19:45

entrentity wrote:
peterlin wrote:Knowing Unilang a bit, I wouldn't count on any sustained interest on the part of general public, but who knows? Myself, I won't be commiting much to learning, but I plan to include a short outline of Bambara as a part of my project "African Languages from Z to A".

What is this project? It sounds intriguing.

Since 9 months or so I've been writing down short grammar outlines/bits of trivia/basic phrases for various African languages. I plan to have at least one language for each letter of the alphabet. I decided to go backwards from Z to A because Zulu and Xhosa were the languages I knew a bit about. The last language I did (not posted yet) was Nama. The entries were originally posted at Polish Africa-themed portal but recently I've moved some to my website.

Anyway, this is just an exercise in futility. As the interest in African languages in Poland is generally low (we have no colonial history and practically no migrants from that part of the world), I'm writing mainly for myself and at a leisurely pace.

Forgot to say. Those maps are really neat.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-11-12, 13:03

How similar are Bambara and Mandinka or Malinke?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-02-01, 12:36

I heard Bambara in one French movie about a diverse class and its problems.

AwenikMwitchti

Postby AwenikMwitchti » 2017-07-05, 13:10

I am obsessed with Bambara, or as it is really called, Bamananka

This dictionary is pretty good. It includes sentences in it which is the best part!!!!!!!!
http://www.bambara.org/lexique/index-english/main.htm

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-02, 7:14

Irusia wrote:How similar are Bambara and Mandinka or Malinke?

Mandinka and Malinke are different, but I believe all three of them are supposed to be mutually intelligible along with all the other Manding languages. However, Mandinka is influenced by other neighboring languages like Wolof and is developing pitch accent in Senegal and Gambia as a result.

Return to “African Indigenous Languages”