Swahili resources

Sarabi
Swahili resources

Postby Sarabi » 2007-01-19, 1:31

So Expug has enlightened me to a new Swahili resource. Therefore I am creating this thread as a list of Swahili resources. We should have a list of on and offline resources.

Alors, Expug m'a appris à une nouvelle ressource de la langue swahili. Donc je crée ce topic comme liste des ressources du swahili. On devrait avoir une liste des ressources en ligne et non-connecté.

Foreign Service Institute Swahili* --- Provided by the U.S. government. Great sound files and a downloadable (free!!) lesson book that has readings toward the end. Erm, the recordings don't exactly match the book, but they go in the same direction from what I've listened to so far.
The Kamusi Project Internet Living Swahili Dictionary --- An excellent and extensive dictionary created by Yale University.
Mwana Simba* --- The Web's ultimate website dedicated to Swahili. En français. And English.

Swahili for Starters: A Practical Introductory Course* by Joan Maw. Oxford University Press. --- Interesting, it's written so that the learner also learns about the cultural context of the language. It's set up in a somewhat effective (but extremely simple) learn-practice fashion, so you get a few words/phrases at a time and then practice them. As for audio, you have to buy that separately, at least in my case... I'd have to order it. :roll: I haven't, so I can't speak on the quality.

*includes audio inclut de l'audio

If you know of any other resources, or if you find a new ones, please post here! Feel free to write your own description. Otherwise, I will write one if I can.

Si tu connais d'autres ressources, ou si tu en trouves des nouvelles, affiche-les ici stp! Ecris ta propre description si tu veux. Autrement, je l'écrirai si je peux.
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

Mikael

Postby Mikael » 2007-02-02, 1:58

Thank you so much! I'm finding these resources very helpful in my study of Swahili.

Valeska

Swahili

Postby Valeska » 2007-02-02, 2:28

Is swahili very hard to learn?

Mikael

Postby Mikael » 2007-02-02, 2:31

So far, I've found it to be a very interesting language, pulling you in and making you want to study it. As you may find in some languages, it's difficult to grasp the concepts based on the fact that the language is just boring. I suggest you take it up, see how you like it, and continue from there. Who knows, maybe the U.N. will need a translator one day!

Valeska

swahili

Postby Valeska » 2007-02-02, 2:36

I suppose you could be right. I think I'll try to learn it, who knows, maybe the U.N. could use a translator some day. :D

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2007-02-02, 13:20

Are you two the same person, or are you just very close friends? :shock:

Glad you found the resources useful, michael... What am I supposed to do with this thread now that the admins have disabled edit? :roll:

Mikael

Postby Mikael » 2007-02-02, 20:51

We are close friends, both very active in studying languages.

Well, since you can't get rid of it. We can have these random conversations on it!

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2007-02-04, 23:49

Cool... Okay, I will post some more links...

Swahili Language and Culture - Has info on Swahili and some lessons with nice, clear (by sometimes too fast) audio files.

and I've discovered some cool vids on youtube, so here are a few!
Kiuno Viuno - the best! belly dancers! a must see!
Jamila - Jose Chameleon - pretty cool... it's a tribute to women who get beat by their men in Uganda. And the guy is hot. :wink:
Msimu kwa msimu - meh... Swahili rap. It's okay, but don't expect to melt with this one. It does have a woman and boy rapping, too, though.

Enjoy!! :D

Mikael

Postby Mikael » 2007-02-05, 2:13

Asante sana!

Tamise

Re: Swahili resources

Postby Tamise » 2007-05-13, 9:33

Queen Ehlana wrote:Online
Foreign Service Institute Swahili* --- Provided by the U.S. government. Great sound files and a downloadable (free!!) lesson book that has readings toward the end.

Do you know what's so incredibly cool? I just picked up a copy of the 1963 edition of the book at a charity book sale yesterday for £2, got home and had a read and thought, damn, I'm never going to be able to get the audio. Then today, I decided to come over here (to Unilang I mean) and what d'you know, the first thing I look at is a link to the sounds files!

Talk about lucky :D

Return to “African Indigenous Languages”