Amharic አማርኛ

księżycowy
Re: Amharic አማርኛ

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-26, 17:50

And just for clarity:
Eibhlín wrote:I can convert the texts in the first volume (FSI Amharic Basic Course) into Ge'ez script ;)

The readings in Volume 2 are the dialogues and narratives in Amharic script, so there's hardly any need.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-06-27, 13:54

Eibhlín wrote:ጥሩ የሰዋሰው መጽሐፍ ያውቃሉ?

I'm curious, is there a reason you wrote ያውቃሉ, i.e. "he knows"? Why 3rd person?
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2014-06-27, 15:08

Babelfish wrote:
Eibhlín wrote:ጥሩ የሰዋሰው መጽሐፍ ያውቃሉ?

I'm curious, is there a reason you wrote ያውቃሉ, i.e. "he knows"? Why 3rd person?

You must be confusing it with ያውቃል (yawqal). What I wrote was "yawqallu".
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-06-27, 20:37

Indeed I was confusing it. I think that being used to unvocalized Hebrew and Arabic, I tend to miss the Ethiopic vowel marks... so, ያውቃሉ as in 3rd person plural OR 2nd person respectful?

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2014-06-27, 22:41

Babelfish wrote:Indeed I was confusing it. I think that being used to unvocalized Hebrew and Arabic, I tend to miss the Ethiopic vowel marks... so, ያውቃሉ as in 3rd person plural OR 2nd person respectful?

Both. But I used it as 2nd person respectful.

amarina

Postby amarina » 2015-03-01, 22:08

For anyone wanting to learn Amharic, I'm working on a website which you can try out if you'd like: http://adamyoung1997.wix.com/learnamharic

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-03-06, 21:51

Nice! I probably already know what it includes currently, but it's nice to see it in Fidel as well (I originally learnt from a bunch of lessons I had found on the Internet, which only had transliteration). It would also be useful for me as a reference. Looking forward to more lessons!
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

ethiolove

Amharic

Postby ethiolove » 2015-08-25, 23:28

Is there anyone who is willing to help teach me Amharic maybe a native speaker

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Amharic

Postby Multiturquoise » 2015-08-26, 11:39

I know little Amharic, and I don't think there is any active native speaker or even advanced speaker at the moment. No one replied on most threads which I have opened about Amharic.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-07, 4:16

Tadiyass everyone! I've decided to finally start posting on the Amharic-related threads on this forum and learning Amharic beyond a few words/phrases. For anyone who didn't already know, one of my parents' friends is Ethiopian (though married to a Malayalee), and all her kids know Amharic (including reading and writing) and have been to Amharic school on top of the usual schools people here go to. I'm also learning fidel, but it's taking some time. I keep testing how much I can read by just looking at the Lonely Planet phrasebook for Amharic and covering up the Romanization while reading phrases written out in fidel. There are some characters I never fail to recognize but also a bunch of others I can't figure out or remember. Does anybody have any tips about learning fidel? If you can read it, how did you go about learning it?

Amësëginallō and I look forward to learning more! :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-09, 5:59

OK, learning the Amharic alphabet seems to be getting easier than I thought it would be! I seem to be getting better by the day at reading things in it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-29, 6:24

My dad had bought me Colloquial Amharic as a birthday present, so I've started working through Chapter 1. The audio files are all available from Colloquial's website these days. :) God I hope they don't ever take those down I just read through the second dialog. Fidel is still hard for me to read, though!

Also, I'm starting to wonder about what some specific examples of influence from neighboring languages might be. Even the ejectives: where did those come from exactly?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-09-29, 15:45

vijayjohn wrote:God I hope they don't ever take those down

You and me both, brother.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-29, 16:20

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:God I hope they don't ever take those down

You and me both, brother.

Right? Where would all our listening practice for Amharic go?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-09-29, 16:23

I meant in general, but yes. Definately for Amharic!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-29, 16:33

Oh, that's true, in general as well. (I say that while studying Amharic from that book even though I haven't actually used it in a while, though :P).

semiticlearner

Postby semiticlearner » 2018-01-27, 21:19

vijayjohn wrote:Oh, that's true, in general as well. (I say that while studying Amharic from that book even though I haven't actually used it in a while, though :P).

Still learning Amharic, if so how is it going? Some users earlier in the thread said some parts are very difficult, but I can recommend some resources :)

semiticlearner

Postby semiticlearner » 2018-01-28, 15:51

vijayjohn wrote:My dad had bought me Colloquial Amharic as a birthday present, so I've started working through Chapter 1. The audio files are all available from Colloquial's website these days. :) God I hope they don't ever take those down I just read through the second dialog. Fidel is still hard for me to read, though!

Also, I'm starting to wonder about what some specific examples of influence from neighboring languages might be. Even the ejectives: where did those come from exactly?

From the research I've done in the past ጰ is found in words of Greek origin, and ፐ from words of Italian/English/(and I think Greek) origin.

I don't think the other ejectives were from the influence of neighbouring languages apart from ጨ (i think)? There's confusion as to how q, ṣ, ṭ, ẓ and ḑ were pronounced in Sabaean too, whether they were ejectives like Amharic, Tigrinya etc. or pharyngealised.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-01, 1:43

Yep, I'm still learning it! It's going pretty slowly but steadily enough IMO, especially given that I'm studying about 24 other languages at the same time. :whistle: I think there must be some reason why only the Ethiopic languages seem to have ejectives whereas all the other Semitic languages apparently have pharyngeals.

semiticlearner

Postby semiticlearner » 2018-02-10, 17:29

vijayjohn wrote:Yep, I'm still learning it! It's going pretty slowly but steadily enough IMO, especially given that I'm studying about 24 other languages at the same time. :whistle: I think there must be some reason why only the Ethiopic languages seem to have ejectives whereas all the other Semitic languages apparently have pharyngeals.

May be neighbouring language influences or it could have developed in that area (and possibly South Arabia too).

What are you finding easy and hard in Amharic so far? Most say ejectives are hard although I don't think that's the case :lol:

Return to “African Indigenous Languages”