Turkmen Study Group

Moderator:eskandar

księżycowy
Turkmen Study Group

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 23:09

Ok, this is a study group for the wonderful language of Turkmenistan! I'll be going through the textbook Basic Turkmen by Oezel and Saparova. As I believe this text is now OOP, I will be providing scans and audio-visual materials to the group, if anyone wants to use this resource as well. Please PM me if you're interested in getting the materials. :)

Anyone of any skill level is welcome at anytime.

As this is more or less just an exploratory investigation of a Turkic language by me, I do not think we will go at great speed, and there may be breaks as things come up, but I do intend to at least finish the textbook, and to learn some, well, basic Turkmen.

Group 1 (Started 11/16/18)

Materials:
Whatever you want!

Check-ins
Whenever you want!
Last edited by księżycowy on 2018-11-29, 13:29, edited 7 times in total.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Turkmen Study Group

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-11-16, 23:37

I hope I'm going to be in for the study group. I also have some materials in Anatolian Turkish about the Turkmen language (generally grammars).
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 23:40

Sure, the more the merrier!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-17, 1:44

I'm in, of course. :)

chung

Postby chung » 2018-11-17, 18:13

If I weren't studying Azeri right now, I would join. Oh well.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-17, 18:14

Why not do both? :P

chung

Postby chung » 2018-11-17, 21:14

Starting Turkmen now would screw up my emerging abilities in Azeri. Even my long dormant abilities in Turkish sometimes show up when I misspell Azeri words. Long ago, I started studying BCMS/SC after having reached something like low-intermediate in both Polish and Slovak, but even then got annoyed by the interference. It'd be even worse when dealing with two Oghuz languages at the same time in which I'm still very much a beginner in one, and a false beginner* in the other.

* I did dabble in Turkmen a while ago, and kind of liked it, although the lisping got a little annoying. Incidentally, I feel similarly about Bashkir which comes off like Tatar with more phonemic spelling (yes!), but again that lisp (no!).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-17, 23:25

I was mostly just kidding anyway. :P

Feel free to join in if/when you want. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-18, 23:59

And I got Lesson 1 of Unit 1 done! :partyhat:
Here are my answers! [I'm skipping the map exercises, as without the visual it would be too hard to figure out.]

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-19, 0:07

Also, I was thinking, it might be fun for you guys (Vijay and Multi) to share the similarities and differences with Turkish here.

EDIT: I've also decided that I would like to utilize the materials housed at the Five Colleges language media website. I'm just not exactly sure how much I want to use yet. Or how. :P

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-11-19, 8:32

My answers:

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-19, 10:06

I was curious how much of the reading you'd be able to understand. Seems like a lot.

EDIT: I also added the first Online Guide to the goals for the next week or so. I wasn't sure what type of pacing we'd take, but Unit 1 Lesson 1 in Basic Turkmen was very quick and easy for even me! :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-21, 6:00

OK, I at least tried to do most of what y'all did. Weird how they put the part you need to read first at the end of the lesson. :?

I'm skipping 4.1 because it's way too time-consuming and boring for me. Yeah yeah I get it the Supreme Leader is going to the United States and ooh how much do you know about the United States? Well I live there so kind of a lot actually. :P

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

I have no damn clue which of the people in these pictures are younger than me, so I'll just assume that the ones in #4-5 are and that the one in #1 is also sorta young because why not.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-21, 10:29

I'm so sorry you find my languages and resources so boring, Vijay! :hmpf:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-22, 9:21

So, I think I'm putting Turkmen on an indefinite hiatus.

Sorry guys.

chung

Postby chung » 2018-11-22, 19:26

That's a shame.

I was thinking about getting back on the Turkmen train in the first half of next year as soon as I finish off "Elementary Azerbaijani" (I've got 7 more chapters to go). I'm starting warm up to the Oghuz languages.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much more auxillary material Five Colleges has created. Until I saw your link, I knew only of the CultureTalk videos on Turkmenistan and the syllabi for the self-study course. All of the audio files in that archive at LangMedia were new to me.

I was thinking of using "Colloquial Turkmen" as the main textbook, and complementing it with the audio from DLI Headstart2 and LangMedia. It's also nice to be able to get an English<>Turkmen dictionary and reference material as free downloads. I wish that I had such material for Azeri since I sometimes find the explanations in "Elementary Azerbaijani" and "Azerbaijani for Beginners" a little unclear or lacking.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-22, 19:31

I'm optimisticly hopefully I'll get around to it later this coming year. But naturally I can't be sure.

I have every attention of returning to Turkmen at some point. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-23, 4:34

Multiturquoise and I are also part of this group. I'm fine with participating in this group as long as there is some activity in it besides my own.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-28, 11:30

As Vijay said it was perfectly ok to have more than one fun language, I'm concidering rejoining. :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-28, 13:20

Having a fun language doesn't necessarily mean reviving a study group, though. I mean, what would you do in it?

Return to “Turkic Languages”