Foreign influence on Azeri

Moderator: eskandar

Utopist

Re: Foreign influence on Azerbaijani

Postby Utopist » 2011-12-10, 8:29

I do hesitate that they have more media, press or literature produced there in comparison with Azerbaijan to consider this variety prestigious. By the way, we have already had a sort of superdialectal coine including features of different dialects.

Məsələn, bir az koynemizdə yazım ki, fərqini görəsiz. Gördüyüvüz kimi o, əsasən ədəbi dilə arxalanır. Ancax bəzi xsusiyəttəriynən hazırkı danışıx dilimiz şivələrimizə oxşuyur. Sumqayıtta bu versiya artıx çox adamın ana dili olup, get-gedə də onnarın sayı artacax.
My languages : [flag=]az[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] || [flag=]en[/flag] (C1) [flag=]tr[/flag] (~B2) [flag=]ar[/flag](B2) || [flag=]de[/flag](A2) [flag=]fr[/flag](A1)
Interested in: Arabic, German, French, Persian, Hebrew

Utopist

Postby Utopist » 2011-12-10, 8:32

Arabic script isn't suitable for Azerbaijani at all. It doesn't represent the real pronounciation and has too many odd letters. Latin version is far better.
My languages : [flag=]az[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] || [flag=]en[/flag] (C1) [flag=]tr[/flag] (~B2) [flag=]ar[/flag](B2) || [flag=]de[/flag](A2) [flag=]fr[/flag](A1)

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2011-12-10, 9:15

Utopist wrote:Arabic script isn't suitable for Azerbaijani at all. It doesn't represent the real pronounciation and has too many odd letters. Latin version is far better.

I totally agree with this statement, but still it is far from being widespread in Iranian Azerbaijan, which is what I wanted to say.

I do hesitate that they have more media, press or literature produced there in comparison with Azerbaijan to consider this variety prestigious. By the way, we have already had a sort of superdialectal coine including features of different dialects.

Unfortunately the current situation in Iran does not favor Azerbaijani language, publications are opened and closed down more often than not, and still there aren't many books published in Azerbaijani, if compared to Persian. Still, it has some online presence and TRT has opened a news portal in Azerbaijani written in an arabic-based script, which you can visit here :): http://www.trtturki.com/trtworld/azt/news.aspx
Not available

Utopist

Postby Utopist » 2011-12-10, 14:34

That's why they should get closer to Azerbaijan which is the only country in the world that regards Azərbaycan dili as the sole official language and maintain it in all areas. :)

I have looked through that site but failed to understand it completely. (I haven't read anything in Arabic script for a long)

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2011-12-10, 14:54

Utopist wrote:That's why they should get closer to Azerbaijan which is the only country in the world that regards Azərbaycan dili as the sole official language and maintain it in all areas. :)

I have looked through that site but failed to understand it completely. (I haven't read anything in Arabic script for a long)

From what I have seen, people is divided when it comes to feel closer to the Republic of Azerbaijan. Obviously I haven't made any survey or serious research on this topic, but based on my personal experience most people prefer being a part of Iran, while other prefer Azerbaijan to be reunited, but still there is a group preferring an independent Southern Azerbaijan.

There is a strong movement, that is growing stronger everyday, that wants Turkish to be taught at schools, even if only as a subject. It is their constitutional right, but unfortunately up to this day Persian is still the sole language of education.

In Tabriz, and most probably in other cities, there are books available in some bookstores sold to teach yourself the script and how to write in formal Turkish - which is different from the spoken dialects -, I own a couple of them.
Not available

Utopist

Postby Utopist » 2011-12-10, 15:46

Upset to hear that. :( Why do they prefer Turkish to Azerbaijani?

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2011-12-10, 21:54

Utopist wrote:Upset to hear that. :( Why do they prefer Turkish to Azerbaijani?

Where I said Turkish I meant Azerbaijani.
Not available

Return to “Turkic Languages”