Azeri question

Moderator: eskandar

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Azeri question

Postby eskandar » 2007-12-28, 22:01

I have a question about Azeri, but the Azeri thread seems pretty dead, so I thought I would ask it here and hopefully someone can help me. I have been puzzling over this sentence, taken directly from the Polyglot English/Azeri dictionary:

Mən dostum üçün çox darıxıram

(I think in Turkish it would be something like Ben dostumu çok özlüyorum, but I'm not sure; I welcome any corrections).

The dictionary gives "I miss my friend very much" as its translation. I understand every word in the sentence except üçün. What does üçün mean? I can't find it in any dictionary, and I can't imagine it has anything to do with üçüncü. Also, why is dostum not in the accusative case? Would it be acceptable in Turkish to just say Dostum çok özlüyorum?

I apologize if I've worded my question confusingly, and I don't know if anyone here is familiar enough with Azeri to help, but I appreciate any help you can give!

User avatar
Mert
Posts: 2569
Joined: 2006-04-04, 6:23
Real Name: Mert
Gender: male
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

Postby Mert » 2007-12-28, 22:24

Mən dostum üçün çox darıxıram


üçün means ''for''. we use it as ''için'' in Turkish.

i suppose ''darıxmak'' verb takes ''for'' preposition.

dostum is neither accusative nor dativ. it is a part of ''for'' preposition; dostum üçün: ''for my friend''

ok? :wink:
ه ه
ل
پ

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Postby eskandar » 2007-12-29, 2:25

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I wonder why I couldn't find "üçün" in either of the two Azeri dictionarys I consulted. Sağ olun!

chrysalis
Posts: 33
Joined: 2007-12-24, 15:14
Real Name: Baran Turkmen
Gender: male
Location: Adana
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

darıxmaq

Postby chrysalis » 2007-12-29, 7:32

Salam,

Since Farsi and Azeri have many idiomatic expressions in common, we can have a look at the Farsi equivalent.

"Mən dostum üçün çox darıxıram"
"Delam baraaye doostam tang shode"

You probably have a knowledge of Farsi, right? Tang means "tight, narrow", so "Delam baraaye doostam tang shode" could literally be translated like this: My heart has got tight (or narrow) for my friend. Both in Farsi and Azeri, it also gives the feeling of "worrying for someone".

Darıxmaq relates to the word "dar" which in Turkish, Azeri and Turkmen means "narrow".

Hələlik!

User avatar
Mert
Posts: 2569
Joined: 2006-04-04, 6:23
Real Name: Mert
Gender: male
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

Re: darıxmaq

Postby Mert » 2007-12-29, 8:52

chrysalis wrote:Salam,

Since Farsi and Azeri have many idiomatic expressions in common, we can have a look at the Farsi equivalent.

"Mən dostum üçün çox darıxıram"
"Delam baraaye doostam tang shode"

You probably have a knowledge of Farsi, right? Tang means "tight, narrow", so "Delam baraaye doostam tang shode" could literally be translated like this: My heart has got tight (or narrow) for my friend. Both in Farsi and Azeri, it also gives the feeling of "worrying for someone".

Darıxmaq relates to the word "dar" which in Turkish, Azeri and Turkmen means "narrow".

Hələlik!


do you live in Turkey?
ه ه
ل
پ

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Postby eskandar » 2007-12-29, 9:04

Salam chrysalis,

Çox sağ olun, məni kömək ettiniz! (Did I say that right? I've just started studying Azeri :) ).

I do indeed have knowledge of Persian. Your explanation is very helpful, thank you. I had wondered if it might be a similar idiom. So would the literal meaning of "mən dostum üçün çox darıxıram" be "I become very narrow for my friend" ?

Is there any chance you (or anyone else fluent in Azeri!) would be willing to moderate an Azeri forum? I know there are a few other posters who are interested in learning Azeri. I'm very interested myself, and would really appreciate it :D Of course, I understand if you don't have the time or interest to do it.

Görüşənədək!

User avatar
Mert
Posts: 2569
Joined: 2006-04-04, 6:23
Real Name: Mert
Gender: male
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

Postby Mert » 2007-12-29, 9:32

eskandar, why are you interested in Azeri Turkish? do you speak Turkish?

by the way, Azeri Turkish sounds so comical to us. :)
ه ه
ل
پ

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Postby eskandar » 2007-12-29, 10:21

Mert, my yenge is Iranian Azeri (from Tabriz) and she and her family members speak Azeri. In addition, my girlfriend is half Persian, half Iranian Azeri, and so half of her family speaks Azeri too. I've studied some Turkish, but never got very far with it; you can probably tell from my attempts here that I'm not very good! Azeri is easier for me because my relatives can help me, and there are so many loans from Persian that sometimes it feels like putting Persian vocabulary into Turkish syntax and grammar :lol:

I'm still interested in learning Turkish, but Azeri is more intriguing to me for now. Plus, Azeri will help more when I go seek söz kesimi :wink:

User avatar
Mert
Posts: 2569
Joined: 2006-04-04, 6:23
Real Name: Mert
Gender: male
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

Postby Mert » 2007-12-29, 10:43

eskandar wrote: Plus, Azeri will help more when I go seek söz kesimi :wink:


:lol:


cool! 8)
ه ه
ل
پ

chrysalis
Posts: 33
Joined: 2007-12-24, 15:14
Real Name: Baran Turkmen
Gender: male
Location: Adana
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

Re: darıxmaq

Postby chrysalis » 2007-12-29, 12:19

Mert wrote:
chrysalis wrote:Salam,

Since Farsi and Azeri have many idiomatic expressions in common, we can have a look at the Farsi equivalent.

"Mən dostum üçün çox darıxıram"
"Delam baraaye doostam tang shode"

You probably have a knowledge of Farsi, right? Tang means "tight, narrow", so "Delam baraaye doostam tang shode" could literally be translated like this: My heart has got tight (or narrow) for my friend. Both in Farsi and Azeri, it also gives the feeling of "worrying for someone".

Darıxmaq relates to the word "dar" which in Turkish, Azeri and Turkmen means "narrow".

Hələlik!


do you live in Turkey?


Evet, Türküm ve Türkiye'de yaşıyorum. :wink:

User avatar
Mert
Posts: 2569
Joined: 2006-04-04, 6:23
Real Name: Mert
Gender: male
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

Re: darıxmaq

Postby Mert » 2007-12-29, 12:30

chrysalis wrote:

Evet, Türküm ve Türkiye'de yaşıyorum. :wink:


Güzel. Profilinde Adana yazıyor; ben de Mersin'deyim. :)
ه ه
ل
پ

chrysalis
Posts: 33
Joined: 2007-12-24, 15:14
Real Name: Baran Turkmen
Gender: male
Location: Adana
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

Postby chrysalis » 2007-12-29, 12:38

eskandar wrote:Salam chrysalis,

Çox sağ olun, məni kömək ettiniz! (Did I say that right? I've just started studying Azeri :) ).

I do indeed have knowledge of Persian. Your explanation is very helpful, thank you. I had wondered if it might be a similar idiom. So would the literal meaning of "mən dostum üçün çox darıxıram" be "I become very narrow for my friend" ?

Is there any chance you (or anyone else fluent in Azeri!) would be willing to moderate an Azeri forum? I know there are a few other posters who are interested in learning Azeri. I'm very interested myself, and would really appreciate it :D Of course, I understand if you don't have the time or interest to do it.

Görüşənədək!


Salam Eskandar Agha,

Khahesh mi konam. It would be better to say " mənə kömək etdiniz", since "to help someone" takes the dative in Azeri. And yes, as you wrote, the literal meaning of "Mən dostum üçün çox darıxıram" would be "I become very narrow for my friend", I guess.

Unfortunately I am not a native Azeri speaker and I do not know the language well enough to moderate a forum. It is just that I speak both Turkish and Farsi and such I can understand Azeri easily. If you have any questions about Turkish or Azeri, I would be glad to help.

If you have a knowledge of Russian, you will probably have a better access to the sources on the internet about Azeri.

Khodafez

User avatar
kalemiye
Posts: 4227
Joined: 2007-01-12, 19:24
Gender: female
Country: ES Spain (España)

Re: darıxmaq

Postby kalemiye » 2007-12-29, 13:41

Mert wrote:
chrysalis wrote:

Evet, Türküm ve Türkiye'de yaşıyorum. :wink:


Güzel. Profilinde Adana yazıyor; ben de Mersin'deyim. :)


Adana Mesin yakinda mi?
Not available

chrysalis
Posts: 33
Joined: 2007-12-24, 15:14
Real Name: Baran Turkmen
Gender: male
Location: Adana
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

Re: darıxmaq

Postby chrysalis » 2007-12-29, 17:29

Mert wrote:
chrysalis wrote:

Evet, Türküm ve Türkiye'de yaşıyorum. :wink:


Güzel. Profilinde Adana yazıyor; ben de Mersin'deyim. :)


İyi, komşuymuşuz demek :)

chrysalis
Posts: 33
Joined: 2007-12-24, 15:14
Real Name: Baran Turkmen
Gender: male
Location: Adana
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

Re: darıxmaq

Postby chrysalis » 2007-12-29, 17:30

renata wrote:
Mert wrote:
chrysalis wrote:

Evet, Türküm ve Türkiye'de yaşıyorum. :wink:


Güzel. Profilinde Adana yazıyor; ben de Mersin'deyim. :)


Adana Mesin yakinda mi?


Evet, Adana-Mersin 70 kilometre, gayet yakın.

User avatar
kalemiye
Posts: 4227
Joined: 2007-01-12, 19:24
Gender: female
Country: ES Spain (España)

Re: darıxmaq

Postby kalemiye » 2007-12-29, 17:56

chrysalis wrote:
renata wrote:
Mert wrote:
chrysalis wrote:

Evet, Türküm ve Türkiye'de yaşıyorum. :wink:


Güzel. Profilinde Adana yazıyor; ben de Mersin'deyim. :)


Adana Mesin yakinda mi?


Evet, Adana-Mersin 70 kilometre, gayet yakın.


Ne güzel! :) Cevabin için çok tesekkürler, Türkiye cografyasi okumaliyim! ;)
Not available

alijsh
Posts: 3578
Joined: 2004-10-26, 7:48
Gender: male
Country: IR Iran (ایران)
Contact:

Postby alijsh » 2008-01-18, 18:58

Eskandar: Can you learn in Persian? If so, I think I can find and introduce you some sites teaching Azerbaijani Turkish to Persian speakers. however I think they write Azerbaijani in Perso-Arabic and the same story: you can't get to correct pronunciation :D Anyway, if you can learn this way just tell me and perhaps I can find one with pronunciation.

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Postby eskandar » 2008-01-18, 20:36

Ali jan, I think it would probably be too difficult for me to learn Azerbaijani in Persian. I'm still working on understanding Persian in Persian :lol: I have been learning it from my aunts, who mostly teach me in Persian, but they use simpler language so that I'll understand.
Currently away from Unilang.

User avatar
kalemiye
Posts: 4227
Joined: 2007-01-12, 19:24
Gender: female
Country: ES Spain (España)

Postby kalemiye » 2008-01-18, 21:43

:?: Is there any difference between the azeri spoken in Azerbaijan and the azeri spoken in Iran besides the script?
Not available

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Postby eskandar » 2008-01-18, 22:12

Yes, though the difference is not great. "Northern" Azeri tends to have more Russian loanwords whereas Iranian Azeri has more Persian loans (though both dialects have borrowed extensively from Persian). In general, my impression is that Iranian Azeri is just more thoroughly "Persified" than Northern Azeri, including the use of Persian expressions and idioms. Also, Zhiguli mentioned that the question particle -mi is used less in Iranian Azeri, to the extent that some Iranian Azeri speakers didn't even know it existed.
Currently away from Unilang.


Return to “Turkic Languages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest