Turkmen (Türkmençe)

Moderator:eskandar

księżycowy
Re: Turkmen (Türkmençe)

Postby księżycowy » 2011-02-19, 11:31

I just noticed yesterday that Dunwoody Press FINALLY released the audio for their textbook (in DVD format). A very reasonable price too, considering you get 16 dvds!
Here's the link:
http://www.dunwoodypress.com/products/-/318
Yeah, now I can restart my Turkmen studies soon! :D

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2012-02-02, 12:04

Not available

Türkmeni söýýän

Postby Türkmeni söýýän » 2012-04-07, 9:51

Have to say Turkmen has been a pain to learn; not enough information, the best I can find is the Turkmen reference grammar, and IT'S NOT EVEN FREE. That's just wrong. The one free grammar I was able to find, was free but was sorely lacking in info. There's not enough information as it is. I plan on getting the word out. As a matter of fact, with all rare languages, the information needs to be free so that as many learners as possible have a chance. I was tenacious enough and I found the GRAMMAIRE DESCRIPTIVE DE TURKMENE À L'USAGE DES FRANCOPHONES. Luckily being bilingual in English and Castilian gives me a two-fold advantage: 1) I'm a native speaker of modern English larded with french words, so I can make out a fair amount already. 2) Speaking Castilian, I know a romance language. The other advantages, I know the differences, and i have many translation services at my disposal. Also I hope my tenacity pays off, I'll be making youtube videos in the future hopefully. I found la grammaire from the Persian version. So by using the two, I can fill in the symbols that didn't show in the word version from the pdf. And hopefully I'll have the french translated. I'll be posting in the future. And it's not a language spoken with a lisp, that would be like saying English is spoken with a lisp. First of all, a lisp is when you don't pronounce according to the norm or pronounce an s (unvoiced alveolar fricative) with a th (unvoiced interdental fricative). Instead I have termed Turkmen as the apex theta language. since it uses the voice and unvoiced interdental fricatives, whereas most languages with them usually feature the alveolar fricatives as well (s, z). But seeing as so-called lispers I've heard don't exhibit this, then I conclude a lisp don't exist, just so it's clear.

Türkmeni söýýän

Re: Bahasa Turkmen

Postby Türkmeni söýýän » 2012-04-07, 9:55

zhiguli wrote:
eskandar wrote:
0stsee wrote:I've listened to the Youtube clips a couple of times, and somehow I didn't perceive any particular lisping.

I think Zhiguli was referring to the presence of [θ] and [ð] (th and dh) instead of [s] and [z] in Turkmen, which may sound like lisping to some.

this is indeed what i meant, and i can't think of any other language where s/z has been completely replaced by θ/ð.
if you listen to the first lesson on the indiana university website you'll hear them very clearly say "thalam", "eththalawmu aleyküm", "türkmeniththan", etc.

I've heard people that supposedly lisp, but they've never used the interdentals in place of the alveolars. (th/dh for s/z) Turkmen simply has the interdental sounds. There's no alveolars one's present. In natural Turkmen that is. So that would be like saying we lisp in English.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-04-07, 14:07

Türkmeni söýýän wrote:Have to say Turkmen has been a pain to learn; not enough information, the best I can find is the Turkmen reference grammar, and IT'S NOT EVEN FREE. That's just wrong. The one free grammar I was able to find, was free but was sorely lacking in info. There's not enough information as it is. I plan on getting the word out. As a matter of fact, with all rare languages, the information needs to be free so that as many learners as possible have a chance. I was tenacious enough and I found the GRAMMAIRE DESCRIPTIVE DE TURKMENE À L'USAGE DES FRANCOPHONES. Luckily being bilingual in English and Castilian gives me a two-fold advantage: 1) I'm a native speaker of modern English larded with french words, so I can make out a fair amount already. 2) Speaking Castilian, I know a romance language. The other advantages, I know the differences, and i have many translation services at my disposal. Also I hope my tenacity pays off, I'll be making youtube videos in the future hopefully. I found la grammaire from the Persian version. So by using the two, I can fill in the symbols that didn't show in the word version from the pdf. And hopefully I'll have the french translated. I'll be posting in the future. And it's not a language spoken with a lisp, that would be like saying English is spoken with a lisp. First of all, a lisp is when you don't pronounce according to the norm or pronounce an s (unvoiced alveolar fricative) with a th (unvoiced interdental fricative). Instead I have termed Turkmen as the apex theta language. since it uses the voice and unvoiced interdental fricatives, whereas most languages with them usually feature the alveolar fricatives as well (s, z). But seeing as so-called lispers I've heard don't exhibit this, then I conclude a lisp don't exist, just so it's clear.

I best textbook I've found is the one I linked too above (though I haven't looked into non-English textbooks).
I really like Dunwoody Press because they put out a ton of good textbooks for lesser-know languages. I also have their Uzbek and Kazakh textbook, and both are great, especially the Uzbek.
But you have to expect to pay a good buck to get them, and you seem like you're looking for free stuff. Good luck!

Türkmeni söýýän

Postby Türkmeni söýýän » 2012-04-12, 10:50

księżycowy wrote:
Türkmeni söýýän wrote:Have to say Turkmen has been a pain to learn; not enough information, the best I can find is the Turkmen reference grammar, and IT'S NOT EVEN FREE. That's just wrong. The one free grammar I was able to find, was free but was sorely lacking in info. There's not enough information as it is. I plan on getting the word out. As a matter of fact, with all rare languages, the information needs to be free so that as many learners as possible have a chance. I was tenacious enough and I found the GRAMMAIRE DESCRIPTIVE DE TURKMENE À L'USAGE DES FRANCOPHONES. Luckily being bilingual in English and Castilian gives me a two-fold advantage: 1) I'm a native speaker of modern English larded with french words, so I can make out a fair amount already. 2) Speaking Castilian, I know a romance language. The other advantages, I know the differences, and i have many translation services at my disposal. Also I hope my tenacity pays off, I'll be making youtube videos in the future hopefully. I found la grammaire from the Persian version. So by using the two, I can fill in the symbols that didn't show in the word version from the pdf. And hopefully I'll have the french translated. I'll be posting in the future. And it's not a language spoken with a lisp, that would be like saying English is spoken with a lisp. First of all, a lisp is when you don't pronounce according to the norm or pronounce an s (unvoiced alveolar fricative) with a th (unvoiced interdental fricative). Instead I have termed Turkmen as the apex theta language. since it uses the voice and unvoiced interdental fricatives, whereas most languages with them usually feature the alveolar fricatives as well (s, z). But seeing as so-called lispers I've heard don't exhibit this, then I conclude a lisp don't exist, just so it's clear.

I best textbook I've found is the one I linked too above (though I haven't looked into non-English textbooks).
I really like Dunwoody Press because they put out a ton of good textbooks for lesser-know languages. I also have their Uzbek and Kazakh textbook, and both are great, especially the Uzbek.
But you have to expect to pay a good buck to get them, and you seem like you're looking for free stuff. Good luck!

Unfortunately for me, I don't have a lot of money to by the Reference grammar, because I would if I did. So I'm translating from French, which I barely know. It's proving more challenging than I thought, French has way too many ways to express one concept, I believe I counted around 10 different way's to say in, 3 to say to be and it depends on environment in the sentence apparently, not to mention some of the backwardsness compared with English and Castilian to Fench, oh and 3 different ways to say there is/are, not to mention ne... que which apparently means only and not not ... that, things like that are throwing me off, so this will take a while but it will be worth the effort. Luckily where the grammar and pronunciation are concerned, the sentences are simple and pretty straight foreward. Making translating an almost seemless 1 to 1 word correspondance. But hey, I'm doing it more for those that want to learn it not myself. I would like to promote turkmen, it's one of those rare interesting languages. So when I'm done I'll put it up, anywhere, hell, I'll make videos and post them on youtube for people to learn. etc, etc, etc.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-04-12, 16:43

I'm talking about Basic Turkmen, not a reference grammar. :?
Though that's pretty expensive . . . .

There are also these two textbooks (which I though was posted earlier):
http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/de ... o=ED358743
http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/de ... o=ED362052
No audio to go with them, and they are written in Cyrillic, but they're not bad.
(They are basically the same thing, just two different titles)

EDIT: Which were posted in the first post it seems. :oops:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-05-17, 20:19

Found a very decent English->Turkmen/Turkmen->English dictionary in pdf format:
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/turkm ... ionary.pdf

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-06-07, 15:02

There are two textbooks for Turkmen available on the site whose-name-we-should-not-pronounce, both in Russian:
Н.Реджепов, Учебник туркменского языка для взрослых, 1993
Э.Грунина, Туркменский язык, 2005

I'm starting to appreciate being a native speaker of Russian...

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2013-06-08, 10:04

I'm also learning Turkmen, It's a fantastic language to learn! It's one of the seven languages that I'm really focused on.

I also found a good Turkmen dictionary called Ajap Sözlük.
http://www.ajapsozluk.com/index.php
I prefer you not to forget to check there! ;)

Türkmençe öwrenmek isleýärin!
Last edited by Multiturquoise on 2013-07-08, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-06-08, 11:32

voron wrote:There are two textbooks for Turkmen available on the site whose-name-we-should-not-pronounce, both in Russian:
Н.Реджепов, Учебник туркменского языка для взрослых, 1993
Э.Грунина, Туркменский язык, 2005

I'm starting to appreciate being a native speaker of Russian...

If only my Russian where better. :(

Oh well, I still have Basic Turkmen. Not to mention that CeLCAR is coming out with a Turkmen textbook. Not sure when, but I did email them about it (and their plans on a Kazakh textbook too). Hopefully they'll get back to me shortly.

amateur

Postby amateur » 2013-06-10, 19:22

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-06-11, 0:36

Great find, thanks! I had tried to find the specific site the dictionary was on but I couldn't :? . Glad someone could though.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-10, 20:36

Just gonna put this here:
https://tk.oxforddictionaries.com/ :whistle:

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-07-17, 11:21

Numbers in Turkmen:

0 = nol
1 = bir
2 = iki
3 = üç
4 = dört
5 = bäş
6 = alty
7 = ýedi
8 = sekiz
9 = dokuz

10 = on

11 = on bir
12 = on iki
13 = on üç

20 = ýigrimi
21 = ýigrimi bir
22 = ýigrimi iki

30 = otuz
31 = otuz bir
32 = otuz iki

40 = kyrk
50 = elli
60 = altmyş
70 = ýetmiş
80 = segsen
90 = togsan

100 = ýüz
200 = iki ýüz
300 = üç ýüz

1000 = müň
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 13:05

So, I'm thinking of starting a Turkmen study group, anyone interested? :D

Also there are some more resources here: http://langmedia.fivecolleges.edu/resou ... anguage/70
Including the audio to the Turkmen Language Competencies by the Peace Corps.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-16, 19:06

Oh, all right. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 19:12

Noöne's forcing you to participate, Vijay. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-16, 19:18

Oh, I know! But you know me and study groups. :whistle:

EDIT: Besides, Turkmen is kind of intriguing to me. I understand s in Turkmen is pronounced [θ]? And I don't know very much about Turkmenistan, so...good learning opportunity!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 19:24

Yes, <s> is indeed pronounced as [θ].

I'd like to use this course book I bought years ago from Dunwoody, but that's provided I can rip enough of the audio and videos off the CDs. I'm open to suggestions as well.

Return to “Turkic Languages”