Uzbek (Ўзбек тили)

Moderator:eskandar

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-04-10, 5:29

Drochfhuaimniú wrote:
zhiguli wrote:celcar has podcasts for their uzbek course online:

http://www.indiana.edu/~celcar/media/uz ... poduz.html

hear other foreigners butcher the uzbek language!

The teacher keeps saying something that sounds like "yaksha'. Do you know what this means?

may be yahxi (is it written like this?) from azeri.
It means "nice,good" :wink:

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-04-10, 8:21

yaxshi/яхши, and this is indeed what it means.

uzbekscholar

Uzbek Wikibook

Postby uzbekscholar » 2007-04-10, 18:52

I've started a Wikibook, based on the public domain Peace Corps manual.

If you guys want to use it, expand it, correct it, or even type in some from the PC book that would be great.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Uzbek

Drochfhuaimniú

Re: Uzbek Wikibook

Postby Drochfhuaimniú » 2007-04-11, 1:54

uzbekscholar wrote:I've started a Wikibook, based on the public domain Peace Corps manual.

If you guys want to use it, expand it, correct it, or even type in some from the PC book that would be great.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Uzbek

I'm thinking of taking study courses in Central Asia when I go to university, so I might study some Uzbek! This will be really useful, thanks!

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-04-12, 11:40

uzbekscholar, хуш келибсиз форумга. i'm just curious, are you a native speaker of uzbek or what is your connection to this language?

the peace corps manual mentioned above can also be downloaded here:

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Ho ... nfls=false

and here are a couple more textbooks for uzbek (in russian; registration required):

http://www.natahaus.ru/user/paveleon/

0stsee

Re: Uzbek (Ўзбек тили)

Postby 0stsee » 2007-09-18, 2:16

zhiguli wrote:-Both languages have a very heavy Persian/Tajik influence, which is reflected not only in the vocabulary but also in some elements of grammar. Tajik has also (allegedly) influenced the phonology of the language - Uzbek lacks the "umlaut" vowels and vowel harmony that exist in nearly all other Turkic languages (though there are some dialects that do have these features). Nevertheless in its grammatical structure it's very much a Turkic language and knowledge of Oghuz languages like Turkish and Azeri can go a long way to understanding the ins and outs of Uzbek grammar.

I watched some clips in Uzbek, and the phonological similarity to Persian, especially Tajik, is striking indeed.

Thanks for creating this thread, Zhiguli.
It is short, but very informative and helpful.
Ini tandatanganku.

0stsee

Turkmen

Postby 0stsee » 2007-09-18, 2:51

Alcadras wrote:All among Turkic languages, Turks can understand only Azeri.

They also understand Turkmen. As discussed in another thread.

Nurzat wrote:I live in Kyrgyzstan where once long ago Turkistan was located. I would not say that Turkic languages are identical. There are a lot of similarities in them.

It is true that Turkic languages once used Arabic alphabet. In China, there are some Kyrgyz groups who still use Arabic letters. They fled the Soviets at the start of 20th century and were not under the Russian influence. However, today most use Cyrrilic except Turkish and Uzbek.

I speak Kyrgyz and I can understand Turkish, Uzbek and Kazakh, but the first 2 hours I have to strain my ears to get used to the sounds. I think it would take me from 2 to 6 months to learn and speak them as well as native speakers.
Ini tandatanganku.

zhiguli

Re: Turkmen

Postby zhiguli » 2007-09-26, 6:12

Thanks for your comments. I may add some grammar info to the wiki sometime in the future, but barring a sudden increase in interest in this language, I will not be posting any more material here.

0stsee wrote:
Alcadras wrote:All among Turkic languages, Turks can understand only Azeri.

They also understand Turkmen. As discussed in another thread.

I wouldn't be so categorical. Different people have different levels of exposure to different languages, knowledge of grammar, education, etc. So it's not a given that Turks will understand even *Azeri* and some I have spoken to affirm that they don't.

0stsee

Turkish

Postby 0stsee » 2007-09-26, 10:08

Yes, some Indonesians claim they don't understand Malaysian. I do have some difficulties understanding them sometimes. I agree with you. The intelligibility depends on the degree of exposure.

I am really interested in Turkish. It's just that I'm focusing on Persian right now, which is foreign enough for me.
Ini tandatanganku.

zhiguli

Re: Turkish

Postby zhiguli » 2007-09-26, 12:16

0stsee wrote:Yes, some Indonesians claim they don't understand Malaysian. I do have some difficulties understanding them sometimes. I agree with you. The intelligibility depends on the degree of exposure.

And it's also because it's often the most common words that differ the most, words like mother, father, greetings, etc...

0stsee wrote:I am really interested in Turkish. It's just that I'm focusing on Persian right now, which is foreign enough for me.

Then Persian will a good base to start from, as you know, most of the major Turkic languages contain a fair number of Persian loans (and Arabic words laundered through Persian). This is especially true of Uzbek (and Azeri).
And yes, it's probably not a good idea to study many Turkic languages at once.

0stsee

Re: Turkish

Postby 0stsee » 2007-09-26, 22:40

zhiguli wrote:
0stsee wrote:Yes, some Indonesians claim they don't understand Malaysian. I do have some difficulties understanding them sometimes. I agree with you. The intelligibility depends on the degree of exposure.

And it's also because it's often the most common words that differ the most, words like mother, father, greetings, etc...

You're right again.
We even have different words for pronouns. Although the difference between Malaysian and Indonesian is not bigger than the variations within Indonesia itself.

zhiguli wrote:
0stsee wrote:I am really interested in Turkish. It's just that I'm focusing on Persian right now, which is foreign enough for me.

Then Persian will a good base to start from, as you know, most of the major Turkic languages contain a fair number of Persian loans (and Arabic words laundered through Persian). This is especially true of Uzbek (and Azeri).
And yes, it's probably not a good idea to study many Turkic languages at once.

I don't intend to learn many Turkic languages at once. I'd like to concentrate on Turkish, but as I said, I am focusing a bit more upon Persian. It's grammar is not that hard. It's just that I have to get used to the script. In this case Turkish certainly has an advantage over Persian. But thank God that Persian is also written with Cyrillic alphabet, so with vowels. :)
Ini tandatanganku.

jerantutferry

Postby jerantutferry » 2009-03-12, 0:16

Hello, is this thread active? Anybody can help me with Uzbek?
Жерантутферрй

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2009-03-15, 23:50

Unfortunately I don't think anyone is studying this language, and I can't find my notes, so can't help you here. I suggest you take a look at the arbuz.com forum linked upthread, you should be able to find someone to help you there.

jerantutferry

Postby jerantutferry » 2009-03-16, 0:25

Well thanks for Lessons 1 -10. Really useful to me. Meanwhile I have found other resources on the Net. I can't learn a language in a week like some of the hard core unilangers in here. You guys pick up languages like Neo can download martial arts skill in the Matrix. "I know jujitsu!", "I know Irish!".

Who's Neo in here?
Жерантутферрй

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2009-04-11, 14:03

good news - i've found my notes. i'll get around to posting them, sometime or other.

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2009-04-30, 7:16

Before continuing with the lessons I should make note of something. Earlier I said:

zhiguli wrote:the Latin alphabet is pretty much a one-to-one transliteration of its Cyrillic counterpart and one alphabet can be easily "auto-converted" into the other.

Well, I lied. It isn't an exact one-to-one match. For one thing, Uzbek Latin has introduced some digraphs and gotten rid of some single Russian letters that aren't really suited to a Turkic language.
In addition, the new Latin alphabet, which was obviously put together with English in mind, has introduced some new problems that didn't exist in the older script.

The biggest of these is the confusion over apostrophes, there are 3 different kinds in Uzbek:
1. single opening (or "6") quote ‘ - as a diacritic for the letters o‘ (ў) and g‘ (ғ)
2. straight quote ' - to separate letters that would otherwise be pronounced as a digraph: s'h (сҳ) instead of sh (ш)
3. single closing (or "9") quote ’ - to mark orthographic 'ayn/hamza (ъ in Cyrillic)

There is also some confusion with letters like ц which gets transliterated either as "ts" or "s" depending on its position in a word, but in actual practice the rules are routinely ignored. So the Russian word цех ("workshop) will often be transcribed "tsex" or even "cex" (even though independent "c" does not exist in Uzbek Latin) instead of the correct form, "sex".
Likewise, when transliterating numerous other Russian loan words into Latin you get gems like this:

Lessons 10-13

The present-future tense is formed with the suffixes а/й, а for roots ending in consonants, й for vowels.
ёзмоқ - ёзаман
сўрамоқ - сўрайман

This tense is used for habitual actions. Compare:

У хат ёзяпти He is writing a letter У чап қўлда ёзади He writes with his left hand
Бемор стулдан туряпти The patient is getting up from the chair Мен соат еттида тураман I get up at 7

Negative is formed with the negative particle ма+й
ёзмайман
сўрамайман etc

The postposition билан "with" is just placed after the word without any change:

ким билан with whom
нима билан with what
гўшт билан with the meat

In speech it is sometimes pronounced минан - ким минан

Сиз эшикни нима билан очасиз? What do you open the door with? Мен эшикни калит билан очаман. I open the door with a key.

Past tense with -ган эди indicates a short period of time in the past (where a person remembers a particular action and tells someone about it)

Котиб хат олиб келган эди The secretary brought a letter.

The suffix гача "up to a point"

қаердан қаергача from where to where?
уйдан мактабгача from home to school
соат нечадан нечагача? from when (what hour) till when? соат иккидан учгача from 2 to 3

моқчи "want/intend to" (with verbs)

бормоқчиман i want/intend to go
negative: бормоқчи эмасман
it can also be written as one word: бормоқчимасман

моқда, (а)ётир is a present tense form normally used in bookish language. There is no negative form.

Мен ўрганмоқдаман I am studying ("I am in the process of studying")
Мен санаётирман I am counting

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-12-01, 22:08

I like Uzbek, it's the easiest Turkic language.
I have found a new book, legal and free, at soyouwanttolearnalanguage website.
I cannot post a link, because the website does not open in google chrome.
but you can find it easily by the search engine.
the title is familiarization course.
quite a new book for Uzbek.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-12-02, 1:48

N/A
Last edited by Unknown on 2019-08-05, 17:08, edited 2 times in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-12-02, 15:58

Cesare M. wrote:Aссалому алайкум, мен ўзбекчада силлиқ билман, ва агар сиз комак бирорта мажбур бўлмсиз (ё моқчисиз) ва/ё агар сиз саволар бирорта борсиз, мен сизга ёрдам бераман. Раҳмат. :)

I notice you're using the Cyrillic alphabet, you know they (officially) switched over to the Latin script, yes?

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-12-02, 20:27

księżycowy wrote:
Cesare M. wrote:Aссалому алайкум, мен ўзбекча силлиқ билман, ва агар сиз комак бирорта мажбур бўлмсиз (ё моқчисиз) ва/ё агар сиз саволар бирорта борсиз, мен сизга ёрдам бераман. Раҳмат. :)

I notice you're using the Cyrillic alphabet, you know they (officially) switched over to the Latin script, yes?

Yes however I think that in some countries, the Cyrillic is still used. Also I love the Cyrillic alphabet. :)
Last edited by Unknown on 2011-12-04, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Turkic Languages”