Azeri (Azərbaycan dili)

Moderator:eskandar

ati
Re: Azeri (Azərbaycan dili)

Postby ati » 2010-05-30, 23:51

It is too funny that Iranian Azaris have a great struggle to preserve their culture. For me I don't care races (because scientifically there is no pure race) and don't care cultures (although some cultural things are enjoyable for taking a good time such as Norouz).

Temûm-e efrad-e insan azad be dunyo miyayend. Ve ez lihaz-e heysiyyet ve hoquq ba hem berâberend.
esimow milastin kâr diyamow

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-05-31, 2:54

Quick question, how do you pronounce "Azerbaijan"? I've been pronouncing it [æzəɹbɑɪːʒɑn], but my World Geography teacher pronounces it [æzəbeɪːn].
Yours is closer. I have no idea where your teacher got that from, but apparently he speaks a non-rhotic accent. I've always said [ˌæzɚˈbaɪdʒæn] but apparently the stress is usually on the last syllable. I don't know what the stress rules are in Azeri or anything.
It is too funny that Iranian Azaris have a great struggle to preserve their culture. For me I don't care races (because scientifically there is no pure race) and don't care cultures (although some cultural things are enjoyable for taking a good time such as Norouz).
Why shouldn't Azeris value their heritage? The world would be a very boring place indeed if everyone simply assimilated into the dominant culture.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

ati

Postby ati » 2010-06-03, 11:07

More languages,more problems,less unity

ati

Postby ati » 2010-07-07, 4:26

http://www.4shared.com/video/rSbi4zsz/Slideshow_1.html

This is my Azeri speaking . If I have a fault , tell the advices

Utopist

Re:

Postby Utopist » 2011-12-10, 16:33

Alcadras wrote:Azeri is more common than Azerbaycanlı imho. :roll:

Who has told you that?

Azərbaycanlı (or Azərbaycan Türkü) and Azərbaycan dili (azərbaycanca is rather adverb)
My languages : [flag=]az[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] || [flag=]en[/flag] (C1) [flag=]tr[/flag] (~B2) [flag=]ar[/flag](B2) || [flag=]de[/flag](A2) [flag=]fr[/flag](A1)
Interested in: Arabic, German, French, Persian, Hebrew

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-03-17, 16:30

I've just seen they opened an Azerbaijani university course in Paris on AZTV :partyhat:

zaur

Re:

Postby zaur » 2013-07-30, 16:00

peterlin wrote:
Alcadras wrote:Azeri is more common than Azerbaycanlı imho. :roll:

In Turkish - sure. But in Azerbaijani?
Hello first of all. Azərbaycanlı is more polite than Azeri. There is only in İran and in Russia you can meet the word Azeri. There are a lot of disputes about this word. I know why but it is very long story to explain.If you want i can help you with Azerbaijani.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Re:

Postby voron » 2013-07-30, 16:19

zaur: Xoş gəldiniz!

zaur wrote:There is only in İran and in Russia you can meet the word Azeri.

And in Turkey apparently?

If I talk to an Azerbaijani person in Turkish (it happened a few times), is it rude to use the word "Azerice" when refering to his/her language?

zaur

Re: Re:

Postby zaur » 2013-07-30, 17:38

voron wrote:zaur: Xoş gəldiniz!

If I talk to an Azerbaijani person in Turkish (it happened a few times), is it rude to use the word "Azerice" when refering to his/her language?

Çox saol dostum.
It is not rude . However if you gonna talk to an Azerbaijani person in his language you should use Azərbaycanca but if you talk to a Turkish speaker obviously it is correct.Do you know Russian?
If you talk to an Azerbaijani person in Turkish It is correct

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-07-31, 10:57

Yes I know Russian. However I meet many young people from Baku online who don't speak Russian or speak it poorly, and some of them know Turkish much better, so we can talk in Turkish.

It's interesting that when I ask them how they learnt Turkish, some people say "just by watching TV". I don't really get it how one can learn to speak by watching TV. I've been watching Ukranian TV regurlarly since a few years, and even though my understanding is 100%, I still can't say much in it in a correct way besides the basic things.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2013-08-03, 14:34

voron wrote:Yes I know Russian. However I meet many young people from Baku online who don't speak Russian or speak it poorly, and some of them know Turkish much better, so we can talk in Turkish.

It's interesting that when I ask them how they learnt Turkish, some people say "just by watching TV". I don't really get it how one can learn to speak by watching TV. I've been watching Ukranian TV regurlarly since a few years, and even though my understanding is 100%, I still can't say much in it in a correct way besides the basic things.

Most Azerbaijanis that claim to have learnt Turkish "just by watching TV" are not able to speak Turkish correctly :)
Not available

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2013-09-05, 22:05

kalemiye wrote:Most Azerbaijanis that claim to have learnt Turkish "just by watching TV" are not able to speak Turkish correctly :)

And why do you say that, if I may ask? Is it because the Turkish channels don't have any native speakers?

Aryaqk

Postby Aryaqk » 2013-09-06, 6:49

Cesare M. wrote:
kalemiye wrote:Most Azerbaijanis that claim to have learnt Turkish "just by watching TV" are not able to speak Turkish correctly :)

And why do you say that, if I may ask? Is it because the Turkish channels don't have any native speakers?

He's right dear Cesar M. I'm Azeri from mother side and they have learnt turkish by watching turkish channels but they can't speak like them! just understand turkish!!
First language:[flag]fa[/flag] - Native language:[flag]ku[/flag]
Intermediate level:[flag]en[/flag]
Beginner's level:[flag]tr[/flag][flag]az[/flag] - Interested in learning:[flag]ps[/flag]

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2013-09-08, 12:43

Aryaqk wrote:He's right dear Cesar M. I'm Azeri from mother side and they have learnt turkish by watching turkish channels but they can't speak like them! just understand turkish!!

I see, thanks for the clarification. :)

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-07-17, 11:26

Numbers in Azerbaijani:

0 = sıfır
1 = bir
2 = iki
3 = üç
4 = dörd
5 = beş
6 = altı
7 = yeddi
8 = səkkiz
9 = doqquz

10 = on

11 = on bir
12 = on iki
13 = on üç

20 = iyirmi
21 = iyirmi bir
22 = iyirmi iki

30 = otuz
31 = otuz bir
32 = otuz iki

40 = qırx
50 = əlli
60 = altmış
70 = yetmiş
80 = səksən
90 = doxsan

100 = yüz
200 = iki yüz
300 = üç yüz

1000 = min
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

chung

Postby chung » 2018-11-11, 1:17

I've run into something in Azeri but ain't getting much insight on usage from Öztopçu's "Elementary Azerbaijani" or the internet. I've posted a similar question in the Turkish subforum because of how similar are the verbs in question.

As in Turkish, Azeri has a few verbs that can be translated as "to like". Something tells me that they're not perfect synonyms despite the semantic overlap, and I suspect that there are some elements from pragmatics and/or considerations for style and register that differentiate the variants. A couple trains of thought are
wondering if one verb occur more frequently with infinitives (e.g. "I like to do sg") whereas the others are more often complemented by nominals (e.g. "I like you") or if there's a difference in register that native speakers recognize? (It's as in English when I don't think of "to be fond of" and "to like" as perfect synonyms but there are instances when I could use either one and they give the same meaning without sounding unidiomatic or too strange (e.g. "Chung, how do you feel about your former boss?" - "I liked her" / "I was fond of her").

What are some differences between each of:

1) bəyənmək
2) xoşlamaq
3) xoşlanmaq
4) xoşu gəlmək
5) xoşuna gəlmək
6) sevmək

For the record, the Turkish verbs that I'm thinking of are: beğenmek, hoşlanmak, hoşuna gitmek and sevmek

Return to “Turkic Languages”