Azeri (Azərbaycan dili)

Moderator:eskandar

zhiguli
Re: Azeri (Azərbaycan dili)

Postby zhiguli » 2008-11-03, 6:38

xoş gəlmisən, danay xanım! nice to see others interested in this language.

DANAY wrote:Btw, the suffix -liq is writen without the letter ya, just lam/ kaf(qaf) according the vowel harmony.

In Ottoman Turkish yes, but in modern Azeri as written in Iran they usually write the vowels in.

DANAY wrote:Çox gözel bir şarqı!! :)

mahnı (şarkı is turkish) ;-)

here's another version by the great rəşid behbudov:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKQbx1bm2-Q

and "sənə də qalmaz"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHLYvG-D ... re=related

DANAY

Postby DANAY » 2008-11-04, 11:15

zhiguli wrote:xoş gəlmisən, danay xanım! nice to see others interested in this language.

DANAY wrote:Btw, the suffix -liq is writen without the letter ya, just lam/ kaf(qaf) according the vowel harmony.

In Ottoman Turkish yes, but in modern Azeri as written in Iran they usually write the vowels in.

DANAY wrote:Çox gözel bir şarqı!! :)

mahnı (şarkı is turkish) ;-)

here's another version by the great rəşid behbudov:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKQbx1bm2-Q

and "sənə də qalmaz"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHLYvG-D ... re=related

Yes, in osmanlica they used to write the suffix -lik only whith the consonants, thanx anyway. say, do they use in Iran also the kaf-i nun letter, like in ottoman? It looks like the normal kaf whith 3 points
on it, like in words like deniz/yeni or the genitive suffix -in, or the possesive suffix -in of the second pers/singular...etc...?

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2008-11-04, 13:18

They don't. Azeris in Iran don't have an official spelling and just write things as they hear them. (Though there are attempts to create a standard, which you can read about here:
http://www.azeri.org/Azeri/az_arabic/arabic_index.html )

So, a word like "tanrının"
Ottoman = طاڭرینڭ
Azeri = تانرینین

Do you know Ottoman Turkish? There is a thread about it here as well.

DANAY

Postby DANAY » 2008-11-06, 16:57

zhiguli wrote:They don't. Azeris in Iran don't have an official spelling and just write things as they hear them. (Though there are attempts to create a standard, which you can read about here:
http://www.azeri.org/Azeri/az_arabic/arabic_index.html )

So, a word like "tanrının"
Ottoman = طاڭرینڭ
Azeri = تانرینین

Do you know Ottoman Turkish? There is a thread about it here as well.

Well, I wouldn't dare to say I know, If I read a firman of the 17.s. I probably wouldn't understand, It is just that I visited the medrese when I was little to learn the qor'an. so I know the old skript, en all my personal writings in turkish are in the old scribt & I prefere the variant whith less vowels... I would say it is modern turkish,as we speak it here on the island ,( it is like cypriot turkish, but also the greek dialekt we speak here sounds cypriot greek (coincident? ),which I write in the elifbe...BUt I understand texts of this senctury,before 1929.
But ok, I've learned some arabic & persian,so I understand more than people who just speak turkish & know the old script...
I am impressed of your knowledge, and not only in turkish... :!:

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2008-11-08, 5:33

zhiguli wrote:They don't. Azeris in Iran don't have an official spelling and just write things as they hear them.

It's not as irregular as you think. There are certainly some varieties but it is probably because Azerbaijani Turkish has many dialects in Iran and they have not still decided to choose which one as the Standard dialect. Especially that Ardabili and Tabrizi people have some competitive sense towards each other. So, they may write slightly different.

Shahriyar has written his poetry this way (the left column is the Persian translation). Since he is a Tabrizi, the spelling must reflect the Tabrizi dialect.

By the way, thanks for the e-book. Although it has been converted badly and there are irrelevant Latin characters but anyway, it's a useful book because it has been written in the Latin alphabet.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2008-11-08, 10:33

This is what I said in the other forum about this issue :):

By the way, today I asked my friends about script for Tabrizi Azeri. They told me that most Azeri-speakers don't know how to write it, so they either write in Persian or write Azeri just the way it sounds for them, without following any specific rules. They also told me that there are people that do know how to write it properly, being people that has done Turkic studies or that their ideology is panturkism, and that some pages in local newspapers are written in Azeri. It could be really awesome if somebody here knew a Tabrizi that could scan some pages :).
Not available

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2008-11-09, 8:05

I found some Iranian Azeris online who are helping me learn the Tabrizi dialect. I'd like to prepare some learning materials, and I had an idea that I'd like everyone's input on.

I want to base my lessons on the Elementary Azerbaijani textbook. I will completely rewrite the explanations and change the examples so that there's no issue of copyright infringement. I will write everything in both the Latin- and Persian-based scripts, and ultimately I'd like to translate my explanations into Persian and Spanish too. I was thinking of starting a blog to post the lessons on, so that people can comment on them and add material, correct my errors, etc. What does everyone think of this idea? Can anyone recommend a good website/blog service where I could do this?
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2008-11-10, 4:27

I don't know much about weblog services but I think blogger of Google is good. Here you can see a list of other developer-hosted services.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2008-11-10, 5:25

I was thinking Blogger or Wordpress would be good. Are they blocked in Iran? I want to use a site that Iranians will be able to access inside Iran without having to bypass the filter.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2008-11-10, 8:16

Wordpress is one of my favorites as a CMS but as far as I have researched, it's not good as a blog host. It's not customizable. Blogger is a better service and yes, it's accesible in Iran. RTL support of Blogger is also good. Here is one of my favorite blogs, which is hosted by Blogger.

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2008-11-12, 20:34

DANAY wrote:Well, I wouldn't dare to say I know, If I read a firman of the 17.s. I probably wouldn't understand, It is just that I visited the medrese when I was little to learn the qor'an. so I know the old skript, en all my personal writings in turkish are in the old scribt & I prefere the variant whith less vowels... I would say it is modern turkish,as we speak it here on the island ,( it is like cypriot turkish, but also the greek dialekt we speak here sounds cypriot greek (coincident? ),which I write in the elifbe...BUt I understand texts of this senctury,before 1929.
But ok, I've learned some arabic & persian,so I understand more than people who just speak turkish & know the old script...

it's still impressive, especially given that many (most?) turks cannot even read books that are *50* years old and written in the latin alphabet.
i also prefer the ottoman spelling, it looks neater and is more connected to the history of the language.

DANAY wrote:I am impressed of your knowledge, and not only in turkish... :!:

thanks, but my knowledge is not so impressive. i stopped studying these languages (turkish, persian, arabic, etc) a long time ago and haven't had the time to get back to them...

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-02-03, 5:47

Quick question, how do you pronounce "Azerbaijan"? I've been pronouncing it [æzəɹbɑɪːʒɑn], but my World Geography teacher pronounces it [æzəbeɪːn].
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

hashi

Postby hashi » 2009-02-03, 9:49

ILuvEire wrote:Quick question, how do you pronounce "Azerbaijan"? I've been pronouncing it [æzəɹbɑɪːʒɑn], but my World Geography teacher pronounces it [æzəbeɪːn].

I always use the former. I've never actually heard anyone say it so I don't know for sure...
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2009-02-03, 16:23

I pronounce it as it's properly pronounced in Azeri, something like /azæɾbajdʒan/. Dictionary.com gives either /ˌɑzərbaɪˈdʒɑn/ or /ˌæzərbaɪˈdʒæn/ as acceptable in English.

ati

Postby ati » 2010-05-29, 8:38

If you want to pronounce Azerbaijan,read this English writing "Ah tzar bay john" It may be an easy way to pronounce
esimow milastin kâr diyamow

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2010-05-29, 17:45

That's not a valid pronunciation in English. Using your spelling, it should be something like "Ah zer bay john."

ati

Postby ati » 2010-05-29, 20:13

As I know it is better way to learn how to say "Azerbaycan" in native dialect.

Ah= â
tzar=zær
bay=bay
john= cân

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2010-05-29, 21:31

But there's no reason to represent zær as 'tzar'. There's no 't'. Just write zær, or at least zar or zer.

ati

Postby ati » 2010-05-29, 21:46

Actually zær is also same HOWEVER some speakers can pronounce is as "sær". The similar example is "dj" letter. You can say "jaan".However saying "djaan" makes the pronounciation stable. Because "j" letter is pronounced differently by other speakers.

So "tz" makes pronouncation better (in my opinion)

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2010-05-29, 22:57

Or you can just imitate the way Resid Behbudov says Azerbaijan in this song 8-)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4500094959168437328#

Ozun kimi vuqarlidir uca daglarin,
Husnune bir yarashiqdir yashil baglarin,
Bizimle bir bashlamishdir gozel chaglarin,
Yurdum yuvam meskenimsen Azerbaycanim,
Anam dogma Vetenimsen Azerbaycanim,
Anam dogma Vetenimsen Azerbaycanim,

El bilir ki, tukenmeyen servetin vardir,
Sinen ustu ag pambiqli, gen tarlalrdir,
Buludlarin goy Xezerde qatar-qatardir,