Sindhi

Moderator:vijayjohn

Jesus Bhai
Sindhi

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-04-03, 18:58

Any Sindhi speakers here? Been doing a bit of reading as of late into the Siraiki (Multani) or Southwestern Punjabi language and have been finding more and more similarities between the two languages. I've also been exploring the sufi music of sindh and drawing comparisons to the similar Punjabi material.

I'd be very interested in picking up some learning materials for Sindhi (And Siraiki/Multani for that matter) if anyone here knows of any. I'm comfortable with both the Devanagari script and the Perso Arabic script, so materials of either script will work.

I'll begin the topic with some lessons. I'll write them in Devanagari and in Roman script, english translations will be provided as well. Sindhi is also written in a form of perso arabic script, but my understanding of these types of scripts isn't very good yet, so I'll avoid using that script for the time being.

Unit 1:

शागिर्द: साई, नमस्ते

Shaagird: Saai Namaste

Good Morning, sir.

मास्तरू: नमस्ते. ही सिंधी कलासु आहे. ही बोर्दु आहे. हीअ मैज़ आहे. हीअ कुर्सी आहे. हू पंखो आहे. राजू, हू छा आहे?

Maastr: Namaste. Hee Sindhi Klaasu aahe. Hee bordu aahe. Heea maiz aahe. Heea kursi aahe. Hoo pankho aahe. Raajoo, hoo chaa aahe?

Good Morning. This is a Sindhi Class. This is a Blackboard. This is a Table. This is a chair. That is a chair. Raju, what is that?

राजू: साई, ही पंखो आहे.

Raajoo: Saii, hee pankho aahe.

Sir, this is a fan.

More at a later update. Stay tuned :D
Last edited by Jesus Bhai on 2012-04-27, 0:29, edited 1 time in total.
Interested in practicing urdu over IM services, check my profile for contact info. Big interest in Old Hindustani and Punjabi music, always uploading songs to my youtube channel.

Meera

Re: Sindhi

Postby Meera » 2012-04-03, 19:16

My moms family is orginally Sindhi but lived in Afghanistan a long time before she was born so she doesn't know much Sindhi :P

I would love to learn some Sindhi but I really don't know where to start.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-04-03, 19:18

Heres the best website I found so far for learning:
http://www.sindhisangat.com/learnsindhi.asp
अहिंसा/เจ

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-04-03, 22:37

Oh neat. I take it that they were muslim sindhis? I know quite a few Hindu Sindhi people which is also partly why I'm interested in the language.

Looking around a bit, a lot of the books for sindhi language learning are written in Hindi or Arabic. If anyone is interested I'll post some links.
Interested in practicing urdu over IM services, check my profile for contact info. Big interest in Old Hindustani and Punjabi music, always uploading songs to my youtube channel.

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-04-27, 0:33

I'll continue to edit the opening post of this thread with various lessons and vocabulary/grammar notes now, as i have a few resources at my disposal. Any input is welcome.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-04-27, 18:52

Jesus Bhai wrote:Oh neat. I take it that they were muslim sindhis? I know quite a few Hindu Sindhi people which is also partly why I'm interested in the language.

Looking around a bit, a lot of the books for sindhi language learning are written in Hindi or Arabic. If anyone is interested I'll post some links.

Yes they were Muslim, Im guessing they were living in present day Pakistan. My mom doesn't even know Sindhi or Urdu though :P

Kareena Kapoor's mom Babita is a Hindu Sindhi :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-05-05, 19:19

Hello everyone! I found some really great sites for Sindhi.

http://www.sindhilanguage.com/index.html
This site is absoutly awesome. It has the alphabet with audio and sample words. Also has tons of information on Sindhi and Sindhi culture.

http://www.sindhtvnews.net/main.htm
A site that has news.

http://www.sanalist.org/sana/newsite/
Sindhi Association of North America! Really great site, a lot of Information on Sindhi.

http://www.sindhiassociation.org.uk/
This doesnt really have any langauge lessons but has tons of cultural things about Sindhi.
Also if you live in the UK, it hosts many events that you can go too.

I will post more as I find it :D I'm really surprised, for such a forgotton about langauge there are REALLY good resources for it :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-05-05, 19:26

अहिंसा/เจ

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2020-07-07, 17:28

Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Return to “South Asian Languages”