Pashto

Moderator: vijayjohn

księżycowy

Re: Pashto

Postby księżycowy » 2010-06-17, 22:52

Rémy LeBeau wrote:My textbook from CeLCAR should be coming any day now!

There is also a Newspaper Reader from Dunwoody Press which I'm considering getting. One thing at a time though.

Great to hear, I'm glad you were able to get a hold of the folks over at CeLCAR!

Interesting, I most not have seen the reader last time I was checking out the books at Dunwoody . . . :? I imagine the reader comes with audio, right?

Rémy LeBeau

Postby Rémy LeBeau » 2010-06-18, 16:51

It's quite an old one, from the 80s. The have audio for it as well, but I'm guessing that the quality will be that of cassettes transferred to CD. In any case, Grima Santry (the veritable queen of all things Pashto-related) gave it a pretty good review when it came out.

For guided reading practice you can also make use of the free lessons over at http://gloss.dliflc.edu/

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-06-18, 22:30

Rémy LeBeau wrote:It's quite an old one, from the 80s. The have audio for it as well, but I'm guessing that the quality will be that of cassettes transferred to CD. In any case, Grima Santry (the veritable queen of all things Pashto-related) gave it a pretty good review when it came out.

For guided reading practice you can also make use of the free lessons over at http://gloss.dliflc.edu/

Figures it's from the 80's as well. But at least it's something useful!

Rémy LeBeau

Postby Rémy LeBeau » 2010-06-25, 12:08

So I got the CeLCAR book yesterday and it looks pretty good. The audio/video selections are great as well because the main two actors give the dialogues/vocab in both the Kandahari and Pekhawari dialects and the random kids and people who are on the videos talk quite naturally/colloquially in their own dialects. The book itself is definitely geared more towards class learning than it is to self-study, but the information is all definitely there if you're willing to sift through all the class-specific stuff.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-06-26, 0:22

Rémy LeBeau wrote:The book itself is definitely geared more towards class learning than it is to self-study, but the information is all definitely there if you're willing to sift through all the class-specific stuff.

That's one of the things that I didn't exactly like about the book, though I have a very similar opinion of the book. It's very good so long as your willing to work around the 'workbook' feel it has.

Rémy LeBeau

Postby Rémy LeBeau » 2010-07-06, 15:59

Pimsleur hasn't even brought out their first set of Pashto CDs, but already the website is showing that next August they will be bringing out a level 2 course for Pashto! That is quite surprising considering that most languages besides major European languages never get any material developed past the usual comprehensive level 1!

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2010-07-06, 16:09

Rémy LeBeau wrote:Pimsleur hasn't even brought out their first set of Pashto CDs, but already the website is showing that next August they will be bringing out a level 2 course for Pashto! That is quite surprising considering that most languages besides major European languages never get any material developed past the usual comprehensive level 1!

I think it has to do with the fact that intelligence services of many country need Pashto-speakers to fight the war of Afghanistan.
Not available

Return to “South Asian Languages”