Pashto

Moderator: vijayjohn

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Pashto

Postby Meera » 2010-03-06, 1:36

księżycowy wrote:Well I got my textbook, and I must say it's top notch (like all textbooks from CeLCAR, not that this is a sales pitch or anything :twisted: )

It seems like they use Kandahari as the base dialect, but they also introduce some Kabuli Pashto as well. Unfortunately I have more resources for Kabuli anyway, but at least now I have some for Kandahari!

Though it occurs to me, it's finally time to learn the Arabic (based) script, this should prove interesting. (Don't know why I put if off for so long.) :?

arabic-perso script isnt really that bad, its quite easy to read
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: Pashto

Postby eskandar » 2010-03-06, 9:08

księżycowy wrote:Though it occurs to me, it's finally time to learn the Arabic (based) script, this should prove interesting. (Don't know why I put if off for so long.) :?

Learning the Arabic(-based) script will make things much easier. In my experience, the many, many different transliteration schemes for Pashto make it very difficult to learn in transliteration; using the Arabic-based orthography is much more consistent.
Currently away from Unilang.

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 13132
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Pashto

Postby księżycowy » 2010-03-06, 14:24

I wasn't trying to imply it was hard, it's no harder then learning any other alphabetic script. I actually used to be able to read Persian quite well, alas I can't any more.

I'm a little dubious on the writing part, as my cursive skills are very lacking [hell, I don't even write in English in cursive!], but I'm sure I'll get it with some practice.

Actually Arabic script is one of my favorite scripts [along with Devanagari, Chinese based scripts, and Cyrillic] because of the how it looks and functions.

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Pashto

Postby Meera » 2010-03-07, 0:11

księżycowy wrote:I wasn't trying to imply it was hard, it's no harder then learning any other alphabetic script. I actually used to be able to read Persian quite well, alas I can't any more.

I'm a little dubious on the writing part, as my cursive skills are very lacking [hell, I don't even write in English in cursive!], but I'm sure I'll get it with some practice.

Actually Arabic script is one of my favorite scripts [along with Devanagari, Chinese based scripts, and Cyrillic] because of the how it looks and functions.


I cant even read english cursive!
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 13132
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Pashto

Postby księżycowy » 2010-03-08, 15:13

I can't blame you, I can't read my fathers cursive handwriting most of the time!

Getting back to Pashto, I'm curious, how is it written. The textbooks I have are in printed Pashto, and don't have any samples of Pashto handwriting. Is it similar to Arabic hand writing?
I only ask because I have a textbook for Arabic that does a great job teaching the Arabic alphabet and how to write it, so I was thinking of adapting the lessons to learn the Pashto alphabet.

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: Pashto

Postby eskandar » 2010-03-08, 22:12

Arabic handwriting is generally done in Ruq`ah script, whereas Pashto is usually written in Nasta'liq. If I'm not mistaken, Pashto (like Persian and other languages) uses "shekaste" or "broken" Nasta'liq for handwriting. There are some good resources for learning it at the Persian forum here.
Currently away from Unilang.

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 13132
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Pashto

Postby księżycowy » 2010-03-08, 22:23

Both my textbook and Wikipedia say that naskh handwriting is used, which to me looks quite a bit like ruq'ah handwriting . . .

Thanks for the links!

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: Pashto

Postby eskandar » 2010-03-08, 22:46

Ah, I see that on Wikipedia. I know I've seen Pashto written in Nasta'liq before, but maybe that's not common.
Currently away from Unilang.

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Pashto

Postby Meera » 2010-03-09, 5:12

księżycowy wrote:I can't blame you, I can't read my fathers cursive handwriting most of the time!

Getting back to Pashto, I'm curious, how is it written. The textbooks I have are in printed Pashto, and don't have any samples of Pashto handwriting. Is it similar to Arabic hand writing?
I only ask because I have a textbook for Arabic that does a great job teaching the Arabic alphabet and how to write it, so I was thinking of adapting the lessons to learn the Pashto alphabet.


hmm u could do this but the sounds r different. it wont hurt to do that. But there is different sounds in pashto thats not in arabic
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Pashto

Postby Meera » 2010-03-09, 6:01

eskandar wrote:Ah, I see that on Wikipedia. I know I've seen Pashto written in Nasta'liq before, but maybe that's not common.


its written in both, in pakistan u will probably only see it in nasta'liq.
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Pashto

Postby Meera » 2010-03-09, 6:06

अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 13132
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Pashto

Postby księżycowy » 2010-03-09, 12:18

Meera wrote:hmm u could do this but the sounds r different. it wont hurt to do that. But there is different sounds in pashto thats not in arabic

I intend to learn the alphabet, not necessarily the sounds of Pashto this way, as all of the letters of Pashto are either the same as, or based on Arabic letters (with slight modification). I want to try to learn the alphabet (and hopefully get to a good spot with writing as well) before actually learning the sounds, words, grammar, ect.

Plus I have my Pashto textbooks that can help with the additional letters and sounds!

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Pashto

Postby Meera » 2010-03-10, 5:08

księżycowy wrote:
Meera wrote:hmm u could do this but the sounds r different. it wont hurt to do that. But there is different sounds in pashto thats not in arabic

I intend to learn the alphabet, not necessarily the sounds of Pashto this way, as all of the letters of Pashto are either the same as, or based on Arabic letters (with slight modification). I want to try to learn the alphabet (and hopefully get to a good spot with writing as well) before actually learning the sounds, words, grammar, ect.

Plus I have my Pashto textbooks that can help with the additional letters and sounds!


This is a good idea but while learning the alphabet you should do it with Pashto words and not arabic words.
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 13132
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Pashto

Postby księżycowy » 2010-03-10, 15:24

Meera wrote:This is a good idea but while learning the alphabet you should do it with Pashto words and not arabic words.

Naturally. All I've been using the Arabic textbook for is learning the shapes and how to write the letters that are the same (shape, not necessarily same usage) in both. I'm not really writing any Arabic words or anything. As my goal is Pashto, that would not make too much sense. For I understand that phonetically speaking Arabic and Pashto are written completely different, especially when it comes to the vowels.

Actually it's interesting to me; Arabic does not normally write any of the 'short' vowels, and Uyghur (a Turkic language that uses Arabic script) writes all of the vowels (the Uyghur script is highly phonetic!). Pashto on the other hand is a middle ground.

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Pashto

Postby Meera » 2010-03-11, 3:09

księżycowy wrote:
Meera wrote:This is a good idea but while learning the alphabet you should do it with Pashto words and not arabic words.

Naturally. All I've been using the Arabic textbook for is learning the shapes and how to write the letters that are the same (shape, not necessarily same usage) in both. I'm not really writing any Arabic words or anything. As my goal is Pashto, that would not make too much sense. For I understand that phonetically speaking Arabic and Pashto are written completely different, especially when it comes to the vowels.

Actually it's interesting to me; Arabic does not normally write any of the 'short' vowels, and Uyghur (a Turkic language that uses Arabic script) writes all of the vowels (the Uyghur script is highly phonetic!). Pashto on the other hand is a middle ground.


Yeah thats good idea! If you need any help u can post here.
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Pashto

Postby Meera » 2010-03-11, 5:23

this is an awesome song by farhad darya
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdeYwcLIrY
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Pashto

Postby Meera » 2010-03-11, 5:41

अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Pashto

Postby Meera » 2010-03-11, 5:48

अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: Pashto

Postby eskandar » 2010-03-11, 5:56

Some good lessons here.
Currently away from Unilang.

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Pashto

Postby Meera » 2010-03-11, 6:04

eskandar wrote:Some good lessons here.



thanks for sharing.. dera manana =)
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)


Return to “South Asian Languages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest