Ladakhi

Moderator: vijayjohn

User avatar
tflath
Posts: 24
Joined: 2002-08-22, 3:20
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Ladakhi

Postby tflath » 2007-01-05, 22:33

Jule! (Hi)

Does anyone here know much about the Ladakhi language (spoken in the Ladakh region of Jammu & Kashmir in Northern India)? I have a "Getting started" language book, but I was wondering if there was anyone who might be able to answer any questions I have about it. Thanks,

Trav


Jule! (Hallo)
Weißt jemand hier sogar ein bisschen über die Ladakhi-Sprache (im Ladakh-Region von Jammu & Kashmir im Norden von Indien gesprochen)? Ich habe schon ein Buch, Ladakhi für Anfänger, gekauft, aber ich wollte mal wissen, ob es jemand hier gibt, der, wenn ich auf eine Frage vorbeikomme, sie antworten könnten. Vielen Dank,

Trav

User avatar
pastorant
Posts: 2627
Joined: 2005-05-31, 19:36
Real Name: Anthony Witherspoon
Gender: male
Location: ન્યૂ યોર્ક્
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Postby pastorant » 2007-01-06, 2:14

Yes, Ladakhi is a dialect of Tibetan. I was a missionary in Tibet fora few years, so I can possibly help you.
PastorAnt
ᏱᎦᏊ ᎣᏌᏂᏳ ᎠᏓᏅᏙ ᎠᏓᏙᎵᎩ ᏂᎪᎯᎸᎢ ᎾᏍᏋ ᎤᏠᏯᏍᏗ ᏂᎯ
yigaquu osaniyu adanvto adadoligi nigohilvi nasquv utloyasdi nihi
May God's blessings always be with you.
(Use Code2000 font to see)
Image

Cherokee, Yoruba, Esperanto, Spanish, Burmese, Amharic

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2924
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: Ladakhi

Postby eskandar » 2009-03-27, 20:22

I'm reviving this old thread because I'm interested in learning Ladakhi. I'm particularly interested in the Balti or Burig dialects, but so far the only material I've found is the "Getting Started" book which is based on the Leh dialect. Does anyone know of other resources for Ladakhi? I'm trying to track down a copy of the Ladakhi Phonetic Reader and Ladakhi Grammar by Samyukta Koshal, and the Ladakhi-English-Urdu Dictionary that's out there somewhere.

Pastorant/Formiko, were you in Tibet proper (in China)? If so, I don't know how much you could help because Central Tibetan is a completely separate language from Ladakhi, but any help you could offer would be appreciated nonetheless!
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

User avatar
Formiko
Posts: 13388
Joined: 2008-01-25, 10:21
Real Name: Dosvdali
Gender: male
Location: Ashghabat
Country: TM Turkmenistan (Türkmenistan)

Re: Ladakhi

Postby Formiko » 2009-03-27, 21:13

eskandar wrote:I'm reviving this old thread because I'm interested in learning Ladakhi. I'm particularly interested in the Balti or Burig dialects, but so far the only material I've found is the "Getting Started" book which is based on the Leh dialect. Does anyone know of other resources for Ladakhi? I'm trying to track down a copy of the Ladakhi Phonetic Reader and Ladakhi Grammar by Samyukta Koshal, and the Ladakhi-English-Urdu Dictionary that's out there somewhere.

Pastorant/Formiko, were you in Tibet proper (in China)? If so, I don't know how much you could help because Central Tibetan is a completely separate language from Ladakhi, but any help you could offer would be appreciated nonetheless!


I was in China, Lhasa to be exact. I have a PDF of Ladakhi if you want that. The vocab between the two is quite different, but the grammar is pretty much the same. I never learned the Tibetan writing system, so you're on your own there. It's been quite a few years (I was there twice for 4 months at a time) so I've lost much of it. I can probably rattle my brain and pull out a few nuggets.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Ladakhi

Postby Meera » 2009-03-28, 20:52

one of my really good freinds speaks ladakhi. I don't know hardley anything of the lanaguge though. :para:

Although I did find some resources for anyone interested:
http://www.xenotypetech.com/samplepdfs/LD_Sample.pdf

http://www.baylanguagebooks.co.uk/searc ... Field.y=24


http://www.ethnologue.com/14/show_language.asp?code=LBJ


If I find anything else I will post it.

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2924
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: Ladakhi

Postby eskandar » 2009-03-30, 1:12

Thanks for the links Meera, and try to get your friend to join Unilang! It would be so great if she would give lessons here, or at least answer questions!

Formiko wrote:I was in China, Lhasa to be exact. I have a PDF of Ladakhi if you want that. The vocab between the two is quite different, but the grammar is pretty much the same. I never learned the Tibetan writing system, so you're on your own there. It's been quite a few years (I was there twice for 4 months at a time) so I've lost much of it. I can probably rattle my brain and pull out a few nuggets.

If the PDF you have is the "Getting Started in Ladakhi" text that's on uz-translations, I already have it. If it's something else, I'd love to have it, PM me please! Maybe when I get a chance to start going over the materials I have, I'll have some grammatical questions that you might be able to help with. :)
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

User avatar
Formiko
Posts: 13388
Joined: 2008-01-25, 10:21
Real Name: Dosvdali
Gender: male
Location: Ashghabat
Country: TM Turkmenistan (Türkmenistan)

Re: Ladakhi

Postby Formiko » 2009-03-30, 1:21

eskandar wrote:If the PDF you have is the "Getting Started in Ladakhi" text that's on uz-translations, I already have it. If it's something else, I'd love to have it, PM me please! Maybe when I get a chance to start going over the materials I have, I'll have some grammatical questions that you might be able to help with. :)


You're way ahead of me :)
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Ladakhi

Postby Meera » 2009-03-30, 4:07

eskandar wrote:Thanks for the links Meera, and try to get your friend to join Unilang! It would be so great if she would give lessons here, or at least answer questions!


I will ask her to join. I was talking to her today and she said that Ladakhi is much like Tibetian. Is that true?

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2924
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: Ladakhi

Postby eskandar » 2009-03-30, 13:06

Yes, Ladakhi is closely related to Tibetan, although they aren't mutually intelligible. As Formiko said, most of the words are different, but the grammar is similar. Much of Ladakhi is preserved from ancient Tibetan words from thousands of years ago, that have changed radically in Tibetan. There are also a number of Persian and Urdu loanwords in Ladakhi.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2924
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: Ladakhi

Postby eskandar » 2009-03-30, 16:57

Petit lexique Ladakhi (short Ladakhi lesson in French) which I have crudely attempted to translate into English here

Christian media in Ladakhi (better than nothing for practice, I suppose!)

"Ladakh: Past and Present" by Prem Singh Jina has a chapter containing a language profile of Ladakhi

Ladakhi vocabulary

Since my real interest is Balti, and they're mutually intelligible, I'll post Balti and Burig resources here too.

Balti-English English-Balti Dictionary
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

User avatar
Vortarulo
Posts: 563
Joined: 2005-12-25, 12:41
Real Name: André Müller
Gender: male
Location: Leipzig
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)
Contact:

Re: Ladakhi

Postby Vortarulo » 2009-03-30, 21:41



Too bad that only the Balti-English part of this dictionary works! I would've liked to compile a 40-words-list from that source for our ASJP project — I just saw we don't have Balti yet. :/

- André
[flag]de[/flag] ← native
[flag]eo[/flag] [flag]us[/flag] [flag]zh[/flag] ← fluent
[flag]nl[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]tlh[/flag] ← intermediate
[flag]fr[/flag] [flag]ddo[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]lo[/flag] ← conversational
...and also a little bit of [flag]la[/flag] [flag]zhc[/flag] [flag]pt[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]tpi[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]bo[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]id[/flag] and [flag]art-tkp[/flag]

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Ladakhi

Postby Meera » 2009-03-30, 22:21

eskander, tashakur baraye "links" :)

User avatar
spriltar
Posts: 5
Joined: 2007-04-08, 18:38
Gender: male
Location: NO
Country: NO Norway (Norge)

Re: Ladakhi

Postby spriltar » 2009-04-27, 21:00

eskandar wrote:I'm reviving this old thread because I'm interested in learning Ladakhi. I'm particularly interested in the Balti or Burig dialects, but so far the only material I've found is the "Getting Started" book which is based on the Leh dialect. Does anyone know of other resources for Ladakhi? I'm trying to track down a copy of the Ladakhi Phonetic Reader and Ladakhi Grammar by Samyukta Koshal, and the Ladakhi-English-Urdu Dictionary that's out there somewhere.

D.D. Sharma's three volume "Tribal languages of Ladakh" (Mittal Publications, New Delhi 2003) contains a 100-page grammar of Balti and a 140-page grammar of Purig/Purki in volume 3. Volume 2 is on Ladakhi proper, while volume 1 is on the non-Tibetan Brokskad language. I have them all, but I've not even started on the Tibetan volumes... Seems OK though.
Correct me if I'm wrong...


Return to “South Asian Languages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron