Languages of Micronesia

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Languages of Micronesia

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-21, 15:45

I figured I'd start a thread for these languages as well. I did mention the idea of creating one years ago, as well as creating other threads for other groups of languages spoken in South Pacific.

All Micronesian languages are not only Austronesian but apparently also are more closely related to each other than to other Austronesian languages. They are also all spoken in Micronesia, though of course there are other languages spoken there, too (e.g. English, Tagalog, Palauan, and Chamorro). The largest country in Micronesia in terms of land area is Kiribati. However, Guam has a much higher population, and the highest number of Micronesian languages appears to be concentrated in the Federated States of Micronesia.

Wikipedia says, "Micronesian languages are known for their lack of plain labial consonants; they have instead two series, palatalized and labio-velarized labials." Some Micronesian languages (all spoken in the Federated States of Micronesia, if I remember correctly) also have base-60 numeral systems.

Massimiliano B

Re: Languages of Micronesia

Postby Massimiliano B » 2021-06-25, 20:19

You can download here Practical Marshallese:

http://www.peterrg.com/academic.html

And here is a Kosraean reference grammar:

https://www.omniglot.com/pdfs/KusaieanR ... rammar.pdf

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-29, 18:48

Thanks for sharing! I'm sure księżycowy would be willing to share more resources for Marshallese with anyone who asks, at least. For all I know, he may also have access to some resources for other Micronesian languages as well. This also includes both of those resources and others for Micronesian languages (among many, many other languages).

If I understand Wikipedia correctly, it claims that people from northern Vanuatu settled Kosrae and that other islands in Micronesia were settled by migrating west from there. It's not clear to me whether Wikipedia has a citation for this claim. Marshallese seems to be the closest (living) relative to most of the languages of the Federated States of Micronesia except for Kosraean, which is apparently only distantly related to other Micronesian languages (I could be completely wrong about this). Phonemically velarized (oral and nasal) stops seem to be common among Micronesian languages.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-06-30, 12:32

If I understand what Micronesian languages are well enough, I only have shit for Marshallese.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”