Central Maluku languages

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Central Maluku languages

Postby aaakknu » 2019-09-22, 22:52

This is a thread for the Maluku languages. I don't know much about them yet, but I will post whatever I learn here.
Firstly, I will copy here what I have in my TAC, and then add something new.
If you are also interested, join the discussion or add some resources if you have them.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Central Maluku languages

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-29, 22:57

Is it for all languages spoken in Maluku or just Central Maluku? What about North Maluku?

Since no one has said anything on this thread in years, I guess I'll take the opportunity to say something about languages spoken in Maluku and North Maluku more generally. Most of the languages of North Maluku are not Austronesian; neither is Oirata, (a language I like to study!) spoken in southwestern Maluku very close to East Nusa Tenggara and East Timor. Oirata is closely related to Fataluku, spoken just across the sea in East Timor (far northeastern Timor), whereas the languages of North Maluku generally seem to be classified as West Papuan. However, most languages of Maluku are at least classified as Austronesian, though it doesn't always seem to be clear where exactly they fit into the family/how exactly some of them are related to each other.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to add a link! Here's one I use for Oirata: https://web.archive.org/web/20111224113 ... recording/.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Central Maluku languages

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-02, 15:58

Central Maluku is also apparently the name of a proposed subgroup of Austronesian languages that are all endangered if not already extinct.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”