Languages of Melanesia

Moderators: Salajane, atalarikt

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Languages of Melanesia

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-13, 5:29

Hi, everyone! I've been thinking of making a thread like this as an alternative to a Papuan study group or something like that, but also, I was inspired by Salajane's idea of making a thread for exploring the languages of Indonesia and thought we could use this one to explore the languages of Papua New Guinea and the other countries that are located in Melanesia!

Papua New Guinea, of course, has the largest number of languages of any country in the world, and as far as I can tell, they're extremely diverse, too! There seems to be more linguistic diversity in the northwestern corner of Papua New Guinea, near the border with Indonesia. The island of New Guinea in general is in Melanesia, as are Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Fiji, and New Caledonia. There are a few Papuan languages spoken in the Solomon Islands as well as in Papua New Guinea and some parts of Indonesia (including some parts that are not in Melanesia at all). All the other indigenous languages of Melanesia are Austronesian (as in Indonesia).

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”