Bugis (Basa Ugi / ᨅᨔ ᨕᨘᨁᨗ )

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

atalarikt
Bugis (Basa Ugi / ᨅᨔ ᨕᨘᨁᨗ )

Postby atalarikt » 2018-04-01, 2:59

Bugis/Bugi/Buginese (native name Basa Ugi / ᨅᨔ ᨕᨘᨁᨗ (in Lontara script), Indonesian name Bahasa Bugis) is an Austronesian language of the South Sulawesi group, Malayo-Polynesian branch. It is spoken by the eponymous ethnic group in the southern part of Sulawesi, along with other languages such as Makassarese (closely related but not mutually intelligible), as well as the Bugis diaspora in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.

Bugis has various regional dialects, each having different vocabulary for certain words. There is no standardized dialect, and I don't know which dialect is the most predominant (maybe the one spoken in and around Makassar?).

My aim is to provide as many Bugis resources as possible in this thread. I will also upload songs and videos in Bugis as well. If possible, I may make simple lessons in this thread.

I'll start with this website first.
https://werekkada.wordpress.com (in Indonesian)
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

syric

Re: Bugis (Basa Ugi / ᨅᨔ ᨕᨘᨁᨗ )

Postby syric » 2020-11-13, 5:19

I am learning Buginese with a tutor online. I find the language very interesting yet complicated and I can share more when I am a bit more familiarised with it.

Glottal coda stop is very common in Buginese. The coda consonants -p -t -k and -h from Malay/Indonesian loanwords are often replaced by ʔ, e.g. selamat (ind) salamaʔ (bug)

Buginese also has double consonants in which the sound is lengthened, similar to Italian. E.g. waktu (ind) wattu (bug).

I believe there is no standard Buginese. The most predominant one might be the Soppeng dialect, as many linguistic papers focus on this dialect. I am learning the Barru dialect. In Makassar, there is another language called Makassarese (Basa Mangkasa) which is not mutually intelligible with Buginese.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”