Formosan/Taiwanese Aboriginal languages (Austronesian)

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

księżycowy
Re: Formosan/Taiwanese Aboriginal languages (Austronesian)

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-26, 18:31

That's what my suspicion was when I looked myself.

Still better than nothing.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-26, 21:01

I'm not sure whether people noticed this yet or not, but I think I might have mixed up Central Amis with Tavalong-Vata'an. I hope that isn't too much of a problem. If it's okay, I might just continue translating the lessons for what I now think is Tavalong-Vata'an since of course I already started on them. Sorry for any confusion!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-26, 21:07

And here I thought you were advanced in Chinese!

Tisk, tisk, tisk! :nono:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-26, 21:41

Well, you can be advanced in Chinese, but it doesn't help that much if you have two language varieties that are called "Coastal Amis" and "Xiuluguan Amis" in Chinese but "Central Amis" and "Tavalong-Vata'an" in English, and you have to figure out which is which! :P

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-04, 11:44

Vocabulary of the Week

Language: Rukai (Drekay)
enay IPA: [ənaj]
Translation: sand

Example: Twalay kadravane kay enay salri. IPA: [twalaj kadravanə kaj ənaj salri]
This sand is carried from the river.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-08, 4:15

Ever since I'm looking for various resources, I've found a lot of them, with their quality differing from each other. However, since they're mostly in Chinese, I'm pretty much lost in navigating them.

Anyway, here are two websites that look good to start learning Formosan language, both in Chinese.
http://pqwasan.org.tw/junior/ (contains lessons in all Formosan languages and their dialects, uses Flash)
http://web.klokah.tw/ (an educational site owned & maintained by Taiwan's Council of Indigenous Peoples, contains abundant resources, reading & listening tests, nursery rhymes, and probably more other stuff)

And one additional web page.
Greetings in Formosan languages (contains audio examples as well)
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-08, 10:10

You're amazing atalarikt! :D

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-08, 11:28

księżycowy wrote:You're amazing atalarikt! :D

The biggest turn-down is that I can't read and don't know much Chinese, which most of the resources are in. :(

Anyway, I found this Hacking Amis Memrise course, which might be useful to grasp the basics of Amis.
...and a Wikipedia-like site containing some random pages in Taiwanese Aboriginal languages (including Yami, which is Malayo-Polynesian). From what I can understand by surfing around the site, it's a project by Taiwan's Ministry of Education and Center for Aboriginal Studies, which would later be placed in the Wikimedia Incubator (all the pages apparently have been in there as well, though I can't exactly confirm it).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-08, 11:51

atalarikt wrote:
księżycowy wrote:You're amazing atalarikt! :D

The biggest turn-down is that I can't read and don't know much Chinese, which most of the resources are in. :(

What do you think we keep Vijay around for? :P

On a side note, I have never been more interested in Chinese before in my life.

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-08, 12:05

księżycowy wrote:What do you think we keep Vijay around for? :P

On a side note, I have never been more interested in Chinese before in my life.

:lol: I'm glad to hear that! Hope you master Chinese with all the resources. :D
Also, I'm still waiting for your translation of the Seediq lessons. Nngi aisu ni?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-08, 12:14

Well, if you're waiting for my translation, that will be a few more weeks out at the least.

I thought Vijay was doing in though? :hmm:

(Also, I should have specified Manadrin Chinese. I've always been interested in Taiwanese Hokkien and Cantonese a lot.)

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-08, 12:36

księżycowy wrote:Well, if you're waiting for my translation, that will be a few more weeks out at the least.

I thought Vijay was doing in though? :hmm:

(Also, I should have specified Mandarin Chinese. I've always been interested in Taiwanese Hokkien and Cantonese a lot.)

Didn't you already tell him not to do it though? :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-08, 13:13

atalarikt wrote:Didn't you already tell him not to do it though? :P

I told him he could hold off until the end of April. I didn't tell him not to do it at all.

And yes, that was a typo, thanks.

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-12, 14:43

Pusu Patas Kari Truku, a Truku dictionary with audio and image examples, as well as other stuff I don't know much. Owned and maintained by the government of the Sioulin/Xiulin Township, Hualien County (in Chinese)

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-14, 2:58

I noticed that this thread needs more songs, so here you go!

This is an old-time Amis love song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRc10A2qrxY
The Amis transliteration in the video is incorrect, as stated by a YouTube user named Kumud Tahciw. Below is the correct one, provided by him.
Lyrics, Mandarin and English translations
► Show Spoiler

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-15, 0:45

I would attempt to translate that Mandarin translation into English as follows:

Wiping away my tears and missing you,
My plentiful tears miss you, older brother.
When you turned (your back on me) and left,
Oh brother, I would miss you.

Well, whatever, you get the idea, and my translation isn't necessarily any better than yours. :P
księżycowy wrote:I thought Vijay was doing in though? :hmm:

Not the Seediq lessons, though. (Not yet, anyway!).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-15, 8:50

vijayjohn wrote:Not the Seediq lessons, though. (Not yet, anyway!).

So, are you going to do them, or not? I don't care when, I just want to know whether you're still going to translate them or not!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-15, 12:22

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Not the Seediq lessons, though. (Not yet, anyway!).

So, are you going to do them, or not? I don't care when, I just want to know whether you're still going to translate them or not!

It depends. I may not need to if you try your own hand at it first, which was what you were saying you wanted to do, right?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-15, 12:25

You confuse me at every possible turn Vijay. I swear to gawd.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-16, 1:04

księżycowy wrote:You confuse me at every possible turn Vijay. I swear to gawd.

I can't help it that I'm just so smart.

Seriously, though, let me try again:

Didn't you want to translate those lessons?

If you don't, I'll do it eventually.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”