Kaurna (revived Aboriginal language)

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

MillMaths
Kaurna (revived Aboriginal language)

Postby MillMaths » 2013-01-23, 0:22

An Aboriginal language crushed under the weight of European colonisation in Australia has been revived, thanks to the dedication of researchers and the vision of 19th Century German missionaries.

The Kaurna language once thrived and was spoken by the original inhabitants of Adelaide. But it began to disappear from daily use in South Australia as early as the 1860s.

Ivaritji, an elder who was thought to be the last fluent speaker of Kaurna, died in the late 1920s. More than 80 years later, its unique sounds have been brought back to life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20066624

PS: I'm not sure if this topic is better in this subforum or the General Language Forum; if any mod thinks it's better in the other subforum, please feel free to move it. 8-)

johnklepac

Re: Kaurna (revived Aboriginal language)

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-25, 18:03

Nah, I think it's fine here.

I'm always excited by language revivals, but then again, we can't revive 'em all, at least not if we expect each one to attract a sizable number of speakers.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2013-12-02, 21:12

Anything is better than participating in the sea of drab monolingual Anglo-Saxonness that Australia has become - but I feel sort of like if the language died 90 years ago it's more of a construction of something new than an actual revival. Then again any efforts on this are certainly laudable.

Also I don't agree with this;

"It is also very important symbolically that indigenous languages are maintained in Australia as they are part of our national fabric."

They're not part of our national fabric. They have been supplanted by and forced into our national fabric. Forced to participate in our "national" culture as outsiders, while losing their own voice.

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2014-03-12, 19:56

I don't think revived languages are allowed in any forum except the Ancient, Classical, and Extinct languages forum. That's the vibe I got before...
Please, correct my errors. S'il vous plaît, corrigez mes erreurs.
C2: [flag=]en[/flag] B1: Focusing on: [flag=]fr[/flag] (A2), [flag=]got[/flag]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-03-13, 1:26

Really? :? I'm not saying you're wrong, but what (specifically) gave you that idea?

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2014-03-13, 17:06

Well, I once tried to make a topic about the revival of a Celtic language in the Celtic forum... not well received. They probably misunderstood. They said it should be moved, and it became a big fight. Obviously, I was right, but who wants to admit that I can do anything without wrength?

So, rather than complain here, I'd like to add something valuable to the thread:
It's a shame that the language died out. If I'm not mistaken, Adelaide is a big city, so while there are many opportunities to have bilingual signs, it may not be revived. Plus, the population of natives of that tribe may be too small. I'm not, however, against having all (or most) inhabitants of that area learn it.
Please, correct my errors. S'il vous plaît, corrigez mes erreurs.
C2: [flag=]en[/flag] B1: Focusing on: [flag=]fr[/flag] (A2), [flag=]got[/flag]

Saim

Postby Saim » 2014-03-13, 23:12

Viridzen wrote:Well, I once tried to make a topic about the revival of a Celtic language in the Celtic forum... not well received. They probably misunderstood. They said it should be moved, and it became a big fight. Obviously, I was right, but who wants to admit that I can do anything without wrength?

So, rather than complain here, I'd like to add something valuable to the thread:
It's a shame that the language died out. If I'm not mistaken, Adelaide is a big city, so while there are many opportunities to have bilingual signs, it may not be revived. Plus, the population of natives of that tribe may be too small. I'm not, however, against having all (or most) inhabitants of that area learn it.

I'm not against it either. But if you were to propose it to the peopke of the area the vast majority of them would think it's absurd... :/

Oxonian

Postby Oxonian » 2014-06-27, 20:12

Viridzen wrote:Well, I once tried to make a topic about the revival of a Celtic language in the Celtic forum... not well received. They probably misunderstood. They said it should be moved, and it became a big fight. Obviously, I was right, but who wants to admit that I can do anything without wrength?

Language is about communication. Adelaide has 1.5 million people, and perhaps a few dozen at most speak Kuarna. Forcing the entire city to put up bilingual signs is, of course, ridiculous.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-06-27, 20:19

Viridzen wrote:Well, I once tried to make a topic about the revival of a Celtic language in the Celtic forum... not well received.

As I recall, the "revived" language was a straight-up conlang. You can only "revive" a language that was actually documented.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”