huarākau vs. hua

Moderators: aaakknu, atalarikt

zeme

huarākau vs. hua

Postby zeme » 2010-08-06, 22:12

Both are fruit, right? What's the difference?

I'm subscribed to kaitiaki@kupu.maori.nz. I received the following translations in my inbox yesterday and this morning:

huarākau: fruit

Ko te panana tāku tūmomo huarākau pai rawa.
Banana is my favourite type of fruit.
- this is an example of a definite sentence

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
hua: fruit, egg, product

He hua reka tēnei.
This is a delicious egg.
- this is an example of an indefinite sentence
The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.

hashi

Re: huarākau vs. hua

Postby hashi » 2010-08-06, 23:38

'huarākau' appears to be the more collective word for fruits, while 'hua' is a specific fruit? But they use it to mean egg?? :S I dunno, sorry.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-08-09, 5:37

hashi wrote:'huarākau' appears to be the more collective word for fruits, while 'hua' is a specific fruit? But they use it to mean egg?? :S I dunno, sorry.

In Hawai‘ian at least, hua is used to mean fruit in the metaphorical sense as well as literal produce. So eggs are seen of as the fruit of a chicken, in the same way as babies are the fruit of women (hua can be used as a verb to mean "bear children" as well). Frequently in Hawai‘ian, one may say hua ‘ai to distinguish between hua in general and specifically fruits (‘ai meaning food plant, used a lot to distinguish between vegetables and fruit, and meats), and then you can say hua moa to refer to chicken eggs (moa meaning chicken, other kinds of eggs use the name of the animal they came from, so hua lopine = robin's eggs).

Hopefully this helps a little, Hawai‘ian is very similar to Māori :)
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

zeme

Postby zeme » 2010-08-09, 15:12

It makes sense. :partyhat: Thanks ILuvEire.

Also, huawhenua supposedly means vegetables, so clearly "hua" seems to be the root words for all fruits
in the metaphorical sense as you wrote.
The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.

kahihi'o

Postby kahihi'o » 2010-08-11, 9:55

ILuvEire wrote:
hashi wrote:'huarākau' appears to be the more collective word for fruits, while 'hua' is a specific fruit? But they use it to mean egg?? :S I dunno, sorry.

In Hawai‘ian at least, hua is used to mean fruit in the metaphorical sense as well as literal produce. So eggs are seen of as the fruit of a chicken, in the same way as babies are the fruit of women (hua can be used as a verb to mean "bear children" as well). Frequently in Hawai‘ian, one may say hua ‘ai to distinguish between hua in general and specifically fruits (‘ai meaning food plant, used a lot to distinguish between vegetables and fruit, and meats), and then you can say hua moa to refer to chicken eggs (moa meaning chicken, other kinds of eggs use the name of the animal they came from, so hua lopine = robin's eggs).

Hopefully this helps a little, Hawai‘ian is very similar to Māori :)

That was an extremely accurate analysis. I'm very impressed. :D
I nui ke aho a moe i ke kai, no ke kai kā hoʻi ua ʻāina.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-08-11, 21:54

zeme wrote:It makes sense. :partyhat: Thanks ILuvEire.

Also, huawhenua supposedly means vegetables, so clearly "hua" seems to be the root words for all fruits
in the metaphorical sense as you wrote.

I was kind of surprised that I didn't know the word for vegetable in Hawai‘ian off the top of my head, so I looked it up. Turns out, there really isn't an easy word for vegetable like Māori, just work arounds like mea ulu (growing thing) or my favorite lā‘au palupalu (flexible tree :D )

kahihi'o wrote:That was an extremely accurate analysis. I'm very impressed. :D

Mahalo :D
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2011-01-02, 10:39

Tēnā tātou,

Interesting analysis Iluveire.

The difference between hua rākau/huarākau and hua is that hua refers to any non-human off spring. Hua can mean fruit by itself however it is more specific to say huarākau as hua can also mean 'seed'.

An egg is usually referred to as a hua manu, literally, an off spring of a bird.
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”