Learning Tahitian

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

kman1
Re: Learning Tahitian

Postby kman1 » 2010-07-09, 8:55

Formiko wrote:(I took a semester in almost every language out there

That would take you forever to finish! lol!

But on the subject of your background/education, I do often wonder what it is that you do since almost every time I look at your profile, you are always listed as being in some exotic location in the world. I read in one of your posts that you are in the IT field but I wonder what exactly do you do and why you travel so much...? I know it's off-topic and I would have sent you a PM but I'm curious and I thought maybe others were curious as well or at least would be interested. :)

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-07-09, 9:31

kman1 wrote:
But on the subject of your background/education, I do often wonder what it is that you do since almost every time I look at your profile, you are always listed as being in some exotic location in the world. I read in one of your posts that you are in the IT field but I wonder what exactly do you do and why you travel so much...? I know it's off-topic and I would have sent you a PM but I'm curious and I thought maybe others were curious as well or at least would be interested. :)

Hehe..no I'm from the US, I just change my location to see who asks me about it! I have a PhD in Linguistics specializing in American Indian languages and I did my dissertation on Tlingit. I also am an ordained minister, having gone to seminary so I have an M. Div. as well. I was an adjunct professor off and on every 2 years I would leave academia to go back to the IT field where the real money is. I've been a missionary every few years. I've been to Tibet, Burma, and Nigeria. I believe I'm well traveled. But now I'm on disability because I have multiple sclerosis, but I have my own business where I fix computers out of my home so I always make money. I'm never dead in the water. I've been married going on 18 years, I have a lot of kids and I'm not gay :) And I'm 40 years old. And no,I'm not available :)
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2010-07-09, 14:06

Formiko wrote:I'm not gay :) And I'm 40 years old. And no,I'm not available :)

Huh? I'm not sure what prompted you to state your sexuality stance but I didn't mean interested in that sense. :? I simply noticed on your personal profile page that two different members, who left you scraps, remarked about your location. (namely 'Stawrberry' & 'densou')

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-07-09, 16:16

kman1 wrote:
Formiko wrote:I'm not gay :) And I'm 40 years old. And no,I'm not available :)

Huh? I'm not sure what prompted you to state your sexuality stance but I didn't mean interested in that sense. :?

It was sort of a joke, since 90% of this site is gay, except me and maybe 2 other people.
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2010-07-09, 20:58

Formiko wrote:It was sort of a joke, since 90% of this site is gay, except me and maybe 2 other people.

I guess that was yet another joke because it obviously isn't true: :?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29400

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-07-10, 2:54

kman1 wrote:
Formiko wrote:It was sort of a joke, since 90% of this site is gay, except me and maybe 2 other people.

Well, it sure feels lonely out here :)
In no particular order

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-07-11, 6:39

kman1 wrote:

No worries kman, it's a bit of a Unilang joke that it's filled with gays who hit on every guy (available or not!) I've done my fair share of Unilang hitting-on myself actually! And Formiko, where were courses in many Polynesian languages available? I'm not interested in getting into linguistics, but Journalism is offered everywhere, and I'd love to learn some Tahitian and Niuean while I was at it :D
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2010-07-11, 6:52

ILuvEire wrote:No worries kman, it's a bit of a Unilang joke that it's filled with gays who hit on every guy (available or not!) I've done my fair share of Unilang hitting-on myself actually!

Oh!! My apologies, I didn't know that that was a common joke circulating here... :oops: I haven't been around as much as I'd like since I have been so occupied with my university studies.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2010-07-20, 21:59

kman1 wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:No worries kman, it's a bit of a Unilang joke that it's filled with gays who hit on every guy (available or not!) I've done my fair share of Unilang hitting-on myself actually!

Oh!! My apologies, I didn't know that that was a common joke circulating here... :oops: I haven't been around as much as I'd like since I have been so occupied with my university studies.

'Oia, 'e raverahi te mau mahu tei haere mai i teie webpage (oops ua 'aro ia'u te parau tano hehe) paraparau ai no ni'a i te mau tumu mahu...

Homosexuality is a completely different concept in most parts of Polynesian from the way the West understands it. I've gone into it before but I think alot of non-Polynesians either think Polynesian men are in denial or they think our understanding of it is naive. Paradise Bent (a documentary) is an example of people not understanding the fa'afafine in Sāmoa I would say.
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2010-07-21, 7:24

Interesting ariki, please continue. How do you feel homosexuality is different among Polynesians? I haven't noticed anything particularly unusual about the attitude towards it here in Hawai'i...

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-07-23, 3:22

kman1 wrote:Interesting ariki, please continue. How do you feel homosexuality is different among Polynesians? I haven't noticed anything particularly unusual about the attitude towards it here in Hawai'i...

The concept of a third gender, like in Southeast Asia, is very common. That's what fa‘afafine are. Hawai‘ians have a similar concept, called mahu (which is now a somewhat derogatory slang word for transgendered persons.) A third gender is basically people who were born as men, but decide at a young age to behave and live as women. There's a similar concept in Tongan culture, called fakaleiti, but they're much more prevalent than mahu, the mahu culture has died in Hawai‘i, much like many other parts of traditional Hawai‘ian life. :(

In any case, the situation in Ancient Hawai‘i (which I'm more familiar with) was much like modern homosexuality. The vast majority of relationships were made up of a "man" and a "woman" of the relationship. The "woman" would be a mahu, while the "man" would be called the aikane. It's pretty interesting.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2010-07-23, 11:18

Personally, I don't mind the mahus (is that the plural form?) here in Hawai'i but what I REALLY like are the Pilipino transgendered males who act like women! Oh my goodness!! They are the funniest and most fun people to be around! I love their company! Energetic, flirtatious, open, natural, confident, hilarious, sexy, are just some of their many wonderful traits!

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2010-08-11, 22:07

argh I was meant to reply to this ages ago and I didn't! My apologies!

the mahu culture has died in Hawai‘i

I would say that its on life support at the moment but I would agree that a lot of it has been supplanted by western homosexuality which doesn't slot neatly into traditional Polynesian culture (and certainly clashes with neo-Polynesian culture) but that could be because modern (western) homosexuality also to a degree accentuates to a large degree a lot of Western values. I'm not saying Western values are evil but you do get culture conflict e.g. individual vs. group, secularism vs. spirituality and all that fun stuff.

Anyway apologies again for not replying! At the time I was thinking this is quite a meaty subject [I first read it at work] so I was planning on replying when I got home and then plumb forgot!
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-08-12, 5:05

Ariki wrote:I would say that its on life support at the moment but I would agree that a lot of it has been supplanted by western homosexuality which doesn't slot neatly into traditional Polynesian culture (and certainly clashes with neo-Polynesian culture) but that could be because modern (western) homosexuality also to a degree accentuates to a large degree a lot of Western values. I'm not saying Western values are evil but you do get culture conflict e.g. individual vs. group, secularism vs. spirituality and all that fun stuff.
The Western world is organized very differently from the rest of the world as well, I think that most foreign cultures are being shoe-horned into Western social mores, which just leads to confusion, misinformation and failure. The Japanese geishas would be a perfect example, they were entertainers, a well-educated group of entertainers, but the Western world sees them as nothing but prostitutes, because that's the closest concept we have in our society. I enjoy the Western world, don't get me wrong, but this kind of cultural imperialism really gets me steamed.

Anyway apologies again for not replying! At the time I was thinking this is quite a meaty subject [I first read it at work] so I was planning on replying when I got home and then plumb forgot!

It's no problem :)

Stevey7788

Postby Stevey7788 » 2010-09-16, 22:05

One of the best vocabulary resources ever. YOU can contribute too! http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Swadesh_lists

Imagine a site where you can view standardized word lists of every language on the planet. For free. Check out http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiVocab

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2015-04-15, 8:58

Darrell Tryon, Conversational Tahitian on Scribd:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/256020229/co ... hitian-pdf

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-25, 16:26

Conversational Tahitian is freely available for download (PDF) here:
https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu ... 885/114918

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2018-02-28, 22:58

A Tahitian dictionary (with audio!) in French is here:

http://www.farevanaa.pf/dictionnaire.php

Ruperupe Tahiti

Postby Ruperupe Tahiti » 2021-03-21, 16:36

Massimiliano B wrote:A Tahitian dictionary (with audio!) in French is here:

http://www.farevanaa.pf/dictionnaire.php

Thanks for the link. Still good and saved to favorites!

Ruperupe Tahiti

Postby Ruperupe Tahiti » 2021-03-21, 17:23

On page 24 of the book entitled Fatu-Hiva (Back to Nature) by Thor Heyerdahl, it states that the Tahitian Chief Teriieroo (circa 1936-1937) ceremoniously renamed Thor and his wife (Liv) because none of the Tahitians could pronounce their impossible tongue-twister Scandanavian names. Their new Tahitian names became "Teraimateatatane" (Mr. Blue Sky) and "Teraimateatavahine" (Mrs. Blue Sky), each phonetic component of the respective names being broken down as "Terai Mateata Tane" and "Terai Mateata Vahine".

Can anyone that knows Tahitian advise if these names contain any spelling errors? Other than the words "Tane" (Mr) and Vahine (Mrs), the other words "Terai" and "Mateata" return no results from any of the Tahitian on-line dictionaries thus far checked. It would seem that blue is usually "ninamu" and sky maybe "aore". I did find a Tahitian word "teatea" which can be used as an adjective to describe a "clear" sky as opposed to "blue" sky. The middle section of "Teraimateatatane" contains the letters "teata", very close to "teatea", but have no idea about the "terai" part. Can anyone advise if the spelling of these names is correct or did Thor Heyerdahl make a mistake in the transliteration? Something is getting lost in the translation since I'm probably being too literal in the attempted translations.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”