hawaiian music

Moderators: aaakknu, atalarikt

kman1

hawaiian music

Postby kman1 » 2009-06-11, 2:42

Can someone recommend some good Hawaiian music to listen to? Hawaiian NOT local music. I already some of that and i need to keep practicing my Hawaiian.

For Hawaiian music, I like music that has A LOT of feeling and by this I mean music in which the singer really gets into and gives it their all (i.e. african american gospel) and/or music similar to 80’s/90’s love songs (i.e. earth wind and fire, luther vandross, etc.) Currently I only have one Hawaiian song on my iPod which "henehene kou aka" by Israel Kamakawiwo`ole. Being that I live here in Hawai'i, I have heard some beautiful Hawaiian slow jams that I really like but I can't write down the name of them since I don't understand Hawaiian that well. Anyway here are some of my favorite local jams to give you an idea of what kind of music I like:

The One & nothing to hide - Rebel Soljahs
One night stand - kekai boyz
i'm too shy - laga savea
let's get it on - j-boog
take me away - laga savea
who you with - katchafire <- (my jam!)
unconditionally - kohomua
stuck on you - ekolu
know that - the next generation

Hopefully you list songs that I can find on the internet and sample. Thanks!

ILuvEire

Re: hawaiian music

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-04-03, 2:33

Ι've never heard of those songs you've mentioned, but try listening to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (if you're even still interested in Hawaiian :P ). I just adore him, he's been one of my greatest motivations to learn Hawaiian.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2010-04-03, 7:39

Ι've never heard of those songs you've mentioned, but try listening to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (if you're even still interested in Hawaiian :P )

If you don't live here in Hawai'i then you wouldn't know those artists. They are local groups. My question here was directed towards locals or those who have resided in Hawai'i for any extended period(s) of time. And as long as I'm here in Hawai'i, my interest in the language will remain strong! :)

But yeah, I know Bruddah Is. hehe

kahihi'o

Postby kahihi'o » 2010-04-03, 9:38

There is some new stuff being produced in the Hawaiian language. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CX1mLAfIvs
I nui ke aho a moe i ke kai, no ke kai kā hoʻi ua ʻāina.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2010-04-03, 17:22

kahihi'o - I know that you're a fluent speaker of Hawaiian and that you live here in the islands. There aren't any websites that specifically have a wide variety of local AND Hawaiian language music available that I can download for free or I'll pay for it. Or even websites that list the names of famous songs that I can search for the audio on the web. Here on O'ahu there is one Hawaiian language radio station which is, I believe, 940 AM. Sometimes, I listen to that radio station and I hear a ton of good songs in the Hawaiian language but I don't know the name of the song so I am never able to search for the song or download it off the net. The hula songs that my niece dances to are very nice.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”