daily articles [Hawaiian]

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

kman1
daily articles [Hawaiian]

Postby kman1 » 2008-07-27, 21:25

Hello all, I have been studying Hawaiian for a while and I’m trying to test out and improve my knowledge base. I have done this by translating newspaper articles. As you can see, there are a lot of things that I’m not sure on so can you let me know what’s correct and incorrect. Thank you very much.

My goal for studying is to be able to talk to people on the street and to my friends. Please feel free to list any places where I can find and translate very colloquial Hawaiian articles, essays, etc.

Code: Select all

Ka Mōʻaukala o ke Kualono
        ?        name; ridge 

Ua hoʻokumu ʻia ke Kualono e ka Hale Kuamoʻo ma ka makahiki 1995, Ke
    beginning                 house  custom; name?   year
 Kulanui o Hawaiʻi ma Hilo e kākoʻo ai i nā kaiaulu ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi a puni ke ao.
 university       at         to support     community          controlled
 ʻOiai, ma ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi ka hapanui o nā ʻike, he mau palapala ʻōlelo
  while                        ?           to see       document
Pelekānia nō hoʻi ko loko no ka poʻe hoihoi i ke aʻo ʻ'ana i ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi a i ʻole
 British    to leave inside    people pleased  instruction                not
no ka poʻe hoihoi i ka hoʻonaʻauao ʻia no ka ʻōlelo ʻōiwi o Hawaiʻi nei a me ka
                    to educate                      native
holomua o ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi.
improvement

“The ___ of Kualono?
Kualono began at Kuamoʻo house in the year 1995, the univ. of Hawaiʻi at Hilo supported the Hawaiian language community and controlled ___. While ___ the Hawaiian language saw ___, British documents were left inside belonging to the pleased people? instructing Hawaiian not because of the pleased people to educate the native Hawaiians on improving Hawaiian. ”

Ariki

Re: daily articles

Postby Ariki » 2008-07-29, 22:35

Aloha kman1,

Just saw your post, I will be looking at it more indepth tonight.
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-07-30, 10:01

Ka Mōʻaukala o ke Kualono

Ua hoʻokumu ʻia ke Kualono e ka Hale Kuamoʻo ma ka makahiki 1995, Ke Kulanui o Hawaiʻi ma Hilo e kākoʻo ai i nā kaiaulu ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi a puni ke ao. ʻOiai, ma ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi ka hapanui o nā ʻike, he mau palapala ʻōlelo Pelekānia nō hoʻi ko loko no ka poʻe hoihoi i ke aʻo ʻ'ana i ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi a i ʻole no ka poʻe hoihoi i ka hoʻonaʻauao ʻia no ka ʻōlelo ʻōiwi o Hawaiʻi nei a me ka holomua o ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi.

Here is my translation (even though a pre-existing translation exists I thought I'd give it a go as well...)

The History of Kualono

Kualono was established by Ka Hale Kuamo'o in the year 1995, the University of Hawai'i, Hilo campus, to support Hawaiian speakers throughout the world. While much of the information is presented in the Hawaiian language, there are also pages in English for people who are interested in learning Hawaiian or for those interested to learn about the indigenous language of Hawaii and the advancement of Hawaiian language.
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2008-08-03, 10:13

kaiaulu – means ‘communities’ or ‘speakers’?

hapanui - ?

ʻOiai, ma ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi ka hapanui o nā ʻike

this actually says ‘while much of the information in the Hawaiian language’ so ‘is’ and ‘presented’ is implied, correct?

he mau – ‘there are’ (plural) ? Does ‘he’ alone mean ‘there is’ (sing.) ?

nō hoʻi - also ?

he mau palapala ʻōlelo Pelekānia nō hoʻi ko loko no ka poʻe hoihoi i ke aʻo ʻ'ana i ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi

ko loko - ?

hoʻonaʻauao ʻia – ‘to be taught’ or ‘to learn’ ?
Btw, thanks for the corrections. :)

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-08-03, 10:55

neokaiaulu - community/ies

this actually says ‘while much of the information in the Hawaiian language’ so ‘is’ and ‘presented’ is implied, correct?

Presented is implied. While the verb hō'ike is not used that's what it means because the information is "presented".

he mau – ‘there are’ (plural) ? Does ‘he’ alone mean ‘there is’ (sing.) ?

In answer to your question, yes.

ko loko - ?

Contained within.

hoʻi - also ?

Yes. Ho'i = also.

hoʻonaʻauao ʻia – ‘to be taught’ or ‘to learn’ ?

It means 'to enlighten' but first impressions mean everything and to imply that your audience is ignorant may not go down too well with some people.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-08-04, 0:50

Mamo sent this through to my email and I am posting it on his behalf. He is problems logging into his account.

Kualono was founded by Hale Kuamo'o in the year 1995, the University of Hawai'i at Hilo, in order to support Hawaiian speaking communities across the world. Although the majority of the information is in Hawaiian, there are English documents available for people interested in learning Hawaiian, or being educated about the native language of Hawai'i and the advancement of the Hawaiian language.

1. Ma ka 'olelo Hawai'i ka hapanui o na 'ike - much of the information is in the Hawaiian language.
This is a locational phrase. Often, the locational phrase is marked with "aia," as follows: "Aia ma ka 'olelo Hawai'i ka hapanui o na 'ike." However, aia is often left out. Also, yes, he is correct that "he" is used to show that something exists. He mau = there are; he = there is.
2. No ho'i = also.
3. Ho'ona'auao = to enlighten, to educate. It is passivized with 'ia.
4. He mau palapala ('olelo pelekania no ho'i) ko loko = Literally: Inside has some (English language) documents (as well). He ____ ko loko, is a common way of saying something is contained within. For example, Ho'oluliluli a'e i ka niu a ho'olohe ina he wai ko loko = Rattle the coconut and listen (to see) if there is water inside.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2008-08-04, 5:47

thanks for the corrections riki/mamo! I'm so glad to know that Mamo is still around! :burning: If you see this Mamo, I sent you a PM because I didn't know if you had left us or not. so you're here then. Awesome! :mrgreen:

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”