The missionary teachers substituted the "r" sound

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Boki
The missionary teachers substituted the "r" sound

Postby Boki » 2007-06-23, 1:41

Maia's comments on the book "Children of the Rainbow" by Leinani Melville, published in 1969

I recently devoured this marvelous book from cover to cover. In it, Mr. Melville opens the door to the translations of the ancient chants from the ancient Hawaiian perspective, which understandably differs from the missionary Christian view-point of previous semi-translations, which the missionaries considered to be heathen superstitions. Nor could the missionaries really understand the Hawaiian language all that well. They were given "crash courses" in order to be able to basically communicate one thing to the people of Hawai'i, and that was their Christian beliefs.

To begin with, Melville shares with the reader what some other Hawaiian authors have pointed out: the missionaries changed the pronunciation of certain words through their own faulty understanding of it when they created a written language for the indigenous people of Hawai'i. The missionary teachers substituted the "r" sound with "l", the "t" sound with "k" and the "v" sound with "w". Consequently, "Honoruru" became "Honolulu", "tahuna" became "kahuna" and "Havai'i" became "Hawai'i." "Haleakala", which means "House of the Sun" is actually "Hare A Ta Ra". "Ra" and not "La" was the true pronunciation of "sun" for the ancient Hawaiians, as it is was for the ancient Egyptians.

To me, the most expanded information Melville offers in "Children of the Rainbow" are the translations of the ancient Hawaiian chant which is their Story of Creation--The Tumuripo. Through this story and other attendant ones, we learn that the original Motherland, of which these Islands are remnants, was known by several names: "Havai'i-ti-Havai'i". "Havai'i" meaning "the streaming terrain over which moisture rained". Also "Land of Rua" which means "growth and development from fire"; and "Tahiti Na" meaning "the tranquil land of dawn". The progenitors of the human races began there and thus the Hawaiian people are the first descendants of these progenitors, known as the "Mu". According to the Hawaiian Story of Creation, the Land of the Mu came to a violent and explosive end with huge volcanic eruptions, which broke apart most of the continent and sent the pieces to the bottom of the sea. The few mountain tops which remained form the Hawaiian islands as well as most of the other islands in the South Pacific, including Easter Island and possibly New Zealand (this based on the shared creation stories of these islands) Certainly this picture fits with my akashic vision of the destruction of Lemuria/Mu, as well as that of other visionaries and researchers, such as James Churchward.

Melville writes about the irony of the Hawaiians being asked by the missionaries where they were from, responding "from Tahiti-Na." Of course the missionaries immediately assumed that they mean the island of Tahiti, when they were actually speaking of the "Tranquil Land of Dawn"--the continent of the Mu. The author explores the migrations from the remnants of the Motherland to other parts of the world, and how certain segments of these peoples later journeyed to Hawai'i in hopes of returned to the original continent of their ancestors.

The Story of Creation tells about the "Forty Planetary Lords" who came to earth in the Motherland. These Lords were described as having "yellow hair, the color of gold-red". The Venusians who enter this planetary sphere tend to have this coloring of hair (according to my akashic insights of the past). From my insights, the Lord Melchizedek came to Mu via Venus. Later other "Lords" of the same Melchizedek linage followed him. All coming from Venus (with Orion genetics as well), they were all fair with red-gold hair. Could these be the "Forty Planetary Lords" mentioned in the Creation chant?

"Ra'i Ra'i is the name given in the Tumuripo Story of Creation for the divine progenitress of the Hawaiian people (the People of Havai'i). According to Melville, "Ra'i Ra'i was chosen, by royal command of the Goddess of the Sun, Lady Ra, to perform a mission of transfiguration. She was sent to deliver into being upon this earth the human beings who were soon to blossom as branches of the Tree of Life in Po." (the Celestial Realm of the Gods) The place which Ra'i Ra'i established for this creation was the "Garden of Sunshine" in the Land of Rua (Mu). There to help her in the Garden where the Menehunes, whom Melville equates to "Brownies". He states that the little people who populated Hawai'i in the early period of the islands were "Manahunes" and were simply a human dwarf race, not related to the Menehunes. My akashic insights see it somewhat differently. The Manahune race were a product of human and nature devic congress, while the Menehunes where the pure nature devas.

In addition to the Menehunes, the other nature beings in the Garden of Sunshine are the following. I am giving Melville's comparisons to western names for them as well as their Hawaiian counterparts. These western comparisons may or may not be entirely accurate in my estimation. The descriptions come from Melville's translations of The Tumruipo chant.

a) eepas (elves) b) tup'ua (fairies -- tiny winged creature, feminine in shape who lived above the ground in the blossoming branches) c) mo'o (water nymphs--shaped like mermaids)

Beyond the "Garden of Sunshine" dwelt the monsters whose descriptions in the Tumruipo obviously describe various known species of dinosaurs, as well as some unknown. From my akashic insights I see the "Garden" as being in a removed vibration from the primal world, until a later age when the two merged. (see Thoth on the Evolution of Earth Within Multiple Realities)

The Tumruipo also describes the races of humanity in order of their appearance in Havai'i-ti-Havai'i: first child: fair, red-gold hair; second child: copper-colored skin; third child: brown skin; fourth child: fair, red-gold hair

I see the E'mu as being of the "fourth child", the Manahune coming from the "third child" and the Menehune.

One of the most exciting sections of "Children of the Rainbow" Leinani Melville saves for last: "Picture Writing of the Tahunas". Here he has simple black and white drawings of the ancient symbols of creation which were handed down through the ali'i Hawaiian linage from the original Mu. While these symbols are simple, they are most certainly powerful. Readers of the James Churchward "Mu" books will find them familiar, as he drew upon these symbols among others, to reveal the picture language of Mu.

Melville also writes about the Holy Cross of Light: "a red cross of light the shade of flame" - this is the cross of the God Tane (Kane) who was actually known as the son of the Father-God. The Holy Cross of Light was a fixture of Hawaiian belief long before the Christian missionaries came to their islands.

The Tumruipo also describes the races of humanity in order of their appearance in Havai'i-ti-Havai'i: first child: fair, red-gold hair; second child: copper-colored skin; third child: brown skin; fourth child: fair, red-gold hair

I see the E'mu as being of the "fourth child", the Manahune coming from the "third child" and the Menehune.

One of the most exciting sections of "Children of the Rainbow" Leinani Melville saves for last: "Picture Writing of the Tahunas". Here he has simple black and white drawings of the ancient symbols of creation which were handed down through the ali'i Hawaiian linage from the original Mu. While these symbols are simple, they are most certainly powerful. Readers of the James Churchward "Mu" books will find them familiar, as he drew upon these symbols among others, to reveal the picture language of Mu.

Melville also writes about the Holy Cross of Light: "a red cross of light the shade of flame" - this is the cross of the God Tane (Kane) who was actually known as the son of the Father-God. The Holy Cross of Light was a fixture of Hawaiian belief long before the Christian missionaries came to their islands.

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2007-06-23, 9:30

This is a repost of the same text in another thread on this forum. This may be regarded as spam.

As it has been stated before, the missionaries did not substitute the R sound with the L sound. Rather, since the pronunciation of R or L in a word did not change the meaning of the word, and since there was free variation between the two, the letter L was chosen. However, the letter L came to represent both the L and the R sound.

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2007-10-24, 13:41

What sucks is that people who come up with these books and write whatever they'd like, may be (depending on their background/education) seen as the only truth. At least until there is another publication disputing the author(s)' theory.
He manao oiwi!

E hoi e pee i ke opu weuweu me he moho la. E ao o hai ka pua o ka mauu ia oe

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2007-10-25, 4:25

New Agers suck.
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Boki

Postby Boki » 2008-01-05, 5:51

Mamo wrote:This is a repost of the same text in another thread on this forum. This may be regarded as spam.

As it has been stated before, the missionaries did not substitute the R sound with the L sound. Rather, since the pronunciation of R or L in a word did not change the meaning of the word, and since there was free variation between the two, the letter L was chosen. However, the letter L came to represent both the L and the R sound.

you are wrong and I don't know where you're getting your information. stop perpetuating lies. You are disrespecting ancient Hawaiian language. If you read any history book of Hawaiian language it will tell you this. The missionaries themselves told us that they changed the language because they could not differentiate between the sounds. They chose L but Hawaiian comes from Tahitian and Nukuhivan which both use the letter R so common sense tells you the R is the correct pronunciation.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-01-05, 5:59

Actually boki, Nukuhivan changes its liquid to "glottal stop". Only the Ua Pou dialect preserves "r" in a few words. The "r" in Marquesan only occurs in borrowed words, from French and Tahitian.

Boki

Postby Boki » 2008-01-05, 6:08

riki wrote:Actually boki, Nukuhivan changes its liquid to "glottal stop". Only the Ua Pou dialect preserves "r" in a few words. The "r" in Marquesan only occurs in borrowed words, from French and Tahitian.

let's discuss pre-European Polynesian. I'm not here to discuss post-European bastardising Polynesian languages. You live in aotearoa. You should know this better than anyone.

Boki

Postby Boki » 2008-01-05, 6:10

Boki wrote:
riki wrote:Actually boki, Nukuhivan changes its liquid to "glottal stop". Only the Ua Pou dialect preserves "r" in a few words. The "r" in Marquesan only occurs in borrowed words, from French and Tahitian.

let's discuss pre-European Polynesian. I'm not here to discuss post-European bastardising Polynesian languages. You live in aotearoa. You should know this better than anyone.

and furthermore give me some links with evidence to your assertions. I don't trust any of you European hybridizing Polynesian language supporters

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-01-05, 6:12

I am talking about pre-European Polynesian. Very hard to mistake a clear "r" sound for a "glottal stop". Sure, the Europeans who came our way may not have been the sharpest axes in the tool shed, but they weren't that blunt.

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2008-01-05, 13:50

Boki wrote:
Mamo wrote:This is a repost of the same text in another thread on this forum. This may be regarded as spam.

you are wrong and I don't know where you're getting your information. stop perpetuating lies. You are disrespecting ancient Hawaiian language. If you read any history book of Hawaiian language it will tell you this. The missionaries themselves told us that they changed the language because they could not differentiate between the sounds. They chose L but Hawaiian comes from Tahitian and Nukuhivan which both use the letter R so common sense tells you the R is the correct pronunciation.

'A'ole pilikia ko'u na'au i kau mau 'olelo pua'ohi ma 'ane'i nei. I mea wale no kau ho'okuanea e ho'akaka ai i ka 'oneoneo o ka waihona no'ono'o e noho nei ma loko ou. Pono 'o 'oe ke ho'oki i kau ho'olaha 'ana aku i kena mau ho'opunipuni, o ho'ohilahila hou 'ia auane'i 'oe. Ua koho ka po'e mikionali i ka leka K a me ka leka L, aka, 'a'ole i puana 'ia ua mau leka la a i 'elua e like me ia ma ka 'olelo haole, e like me kau e kuhihewa nei :lol: .

Kohu mea la, ua huikau 'oe. Ke hilina'i nei 'oe, e, 'oiai ua koho 'ia ka leka R i ho'ailona no ia kani ma ka 'olelo Tahiti a me ka 'olelo Nu'uhiwa, a 'oiai he pili ka 'olelo Hawai'i i ia mau 'olelo 'elua, no laila, 'o ka leka R ka pololei, 'a'ole 'o ka huapalapala L. Aka, i hewa kena mana'o i kou punia i ka 'olelo Pelekane. Ina kakou e lawe i ia mau leka 'elua me ka puana Pelekane a me na 'olelo e ho'ohana nei i ka pi'apa like, a laila, ua hewa ka L a me ka R kekahi, no ka mea, 'a'ole ku ka puana o ka 'olelo Hawai'i i na 'olelo 'Eulopa. He mea 'ole ka leka i koho 'ia, no ka mea, ua lilo i ho'ailona no kekahi kani o ka 'olelo Hawai'i, 'a'ole no kahi 'olelo i kama'aina ia 'oe ;).

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2008-01-06, 1:26

Boki wrote:

It's not wrong! The whole WRONG vs. RIGHT is ridiculous and if anything, THAT is a Haole concept since that way is always about being correct.

Both sounds, as Mamo mentioned did exist but for whatever reason, those in charge of writing the language with the L. According to Elbert and Pukui's book - Spoken Hawaiian, there is an entry in there about Liholiho choosing the L over the R since initially he was taught to spell his name with an R, but later he preferred the L. Both sounds existed and it seems that Hawaiian, unlike other Polynesian languages, tend to preserve both sounds, with the exception of what riki just explained with the languages in Hiva. These are perfect examples too of how not always languages change as we may thought they do when it comes to particular sounds, but sometimes they preserve both sounds. Look at the samples of words or definition for "bay" in the names of places in all the islands. You can see how one group of islands tend to use hana over the others that tend to use hono. Then you have an island that shows both hana and hono that is actually in between the 2. These are variances and every language have them.

That's like saying that lanalana is correct versus nanana or hikina is correct over na'e.

Although those may be a bit extreme examples since we're talking sounds, but the point is the same. One isn't necessarily correct over the other. Especially since the pronunciation of the L and R have the same thing going on, but I won't waste my time trying to explain the mechanics of what goes in within your mouth when pronouncing each sound, consonant and vowel.

People tend to make it up with the T and K too, or worse, say there's a G in the language but that the missionaries changed those too. What would be really nice is if these same people would actually learn how to PRONOUNCE the sounds of Polynesian languages correctly and less Haole-like, then they'll probably understand why those letters were confused by outsiders.
He manao oiwi!

Atama'i Havai'ian

Re: The missionary teachers substituted the "r" sound

Postby Atama'i Havai'ian » 2008-09-15, 7:09

Maia's comments on the book "Children of the Rainbow" by Leinani Melville, published in 1969

I recently devoured this marvelous book from cover to cover. In it, Mr. Melville opens the door to the translations of the ancient chants from the ancient Hawaiian perspective, which understandably differs from the missionary Christian view-point of previous semi-translations, which the missionaries considered to be heathen superstitions. Nor could the missionaries really understand the Hawaiian language all that well. They were given "crash courses" in order to be able to basically communicate one thing to the people of Hawai'i, and that was their Christian beliefs.

To begin with, Melville shares with the reader what some other Hawaiian authors have pointed out: the missionaries changed the pronunciation of certain words through their own faulty understanding of it when they created a written language for the indigenous people of Hawai'i. The missionary teachers substituted the "r" sound with "l", the "t" sound with "k" and the "v" sound with "w". Consequently, "Honoruru" became "Honolulu", "tahuna" became "kahuna" and "Havai'i" became "Hawai'i." "Haleakala", which means "House of the Sun" is actually "Hare A Ta Ra". "Ra" and not "La" was the true pronunciation of "sun" for the ancient Hawaiians, as it is was for the ancient Egyptians.

To me, the most expanded information Melville offers in "Children of the Rainbow" are the translations of the ancient Hawaiian chant which is their Story of Creation--The Tumuripo. Through this story and other attendant ones, we learn that the original Motherland, of which these Islands are remnants, was known by several names: "Havai'i-ti-Havai'i". "Havai'i" meaning "the streaming terrain over which moisture rained". Also "Land of Rua" which means "growth and development from fire"; and "Tahiti Na" meaning "the tranquil land of dawn". The progenitors of the human races began there and thus the Hawaiian people are the first descendants of these progenitors, known as the "Mu". According to the Hawaiian Story of Creation, the Land of the Mu came to a violent and explosive end with huge volcanic eruptions, which broke apart most of the continent and sent the pieces to the bottom of the sea. The few mountain tops which remained form the Hawaiian islands as well as most of the other islands in the South Pacific, including Easter Island and possibly New Zealand (this based on the shared creation stories of these islands) Certainly this picture fits with my akashic vision of the destruction of Lemuria/Mu, as well as that of other visionaries and researchers, such as James Churchward.

Melville writes about the irony of the Hawaiians being asked by the missionaries where they were from, responding "from Tahiti-Na." Of course the missionaries immediately assumed that they mean the island of Tahiti, when they were actually speaking of the "Tranquil Land of Dawn"--the continent of the Mu. The author explores the migrations from the remnants of the Motherland to other parts of the world, and how certain segments of these peoples later journeyed to Hawai'i in hopes of returned to the original continent of their ancestors.

The Story of Creation tells about the "Forty Planetary Lords" who came to earth in the Motherland. These Lords were described as having "yellow hair, the color of gold-red". The Venusians who enter this planetary sphere tend to have this coloring of hair (according to my akashic insights of the past). From my insights, the Lord Melchizedek came to Mu via Venus. Later other "Lords" of the same Melchizedek linage followed him. All coming from Venus (with Orion genetics as well), they were all fair with red-gold hair. Could these be the "Forty Planetary Lords" mentioned in the Creation chant?

"Ra'i Ra'i is the name given in the Tumuripo Story of Creation for the divine progenitress of the Hawaiian people (the People of Havai'i). According to Melville, "Ra'i Ra'i was chosen, by royal command of the Goddess of the Sun, Lady Ra, to perform a mission of transfiguration. She was sent to deliver into being upon this earth the human beings who were soon to blossom as branches of the Tree of Life in Po." (the Celestial Realm of the Gods) The place which Ra'i Ra'i established for this creation was the "Garden of Sunshine" in the Land of Rua (Mu). There to help her in the Garden where the Menehunes, whom Melville equates to "Brownies". He states that the little people who populated Hawai'i in the early period of the islands were "Manahunes" and were simply a human dwarf race, not related to the Menehunes. My akashic insights see it somewhat differently. The Manahune race were a product of human and nature devic congress, while the Menehunes where the pure nature devas.

In addition to the Menehunes, the other nature beings in the Garden of Sunshine are the following. I am giving Melville's comparisons to western names for them as well as their Hawaiian counterparts. These western comparisons may or may not be entirely accurate in my estimation. The descriptions come from Melville's translations of The Tumruipo chant.

a) eepas (elves) b) tup'ua (fairies -- tiny winged creature, feminine in shape who lived above the ground in the blossoming branches) c) mo'o (water nymphs--shaped like mermaids)

Beyond the "Garden of Sunshine" dwelt the monsters whose descriptions in the Tumruipo obviously describe various known species of dinosaurs, as well as some unknown. From my akashic insights I see the "Garden" as being in a removed vibration from the primal world, until a later age when the two merged. (see Thoth on the Evolution of Earth Within Multiple Realities)

The fake Hawaiians have still failed to show scientific evidence dispelling Boki's source. This is just another example of how they have been defeated by superior academics.

Nohola

Re: The missionary teachers substituted the "r" sound

Postby Nohola » 2008-09-16, 16:18

Atama'i Havai'ian wrote:The fake Hawaiians have still failed to show scientific evidence dispelling Boki's source. This is just another example of how they have been defeated by superior academics.

Not only do you not know our language, but you seem to have difficulty comprehending the English language. I have no idea what you are trying to infer about Boki (if you're not the same person) haven't been dispelled with scientific evidence, but my point was that in our language, there are dual sounds for the same written representation. Hence the L/R or T/K or even K/` and you can include L/N as in moko/mo'o, tuahine/kuahine, lanalana/nananana. People such as yourself can't understand why there was written by Haoles (pre-missionary) Hawaiian words with a G, to which some of these hawaiians who learned the language (rather than acquired it at birth as a manaleo) later in life say that the Missionaries changed the G to a K.
He manao oiwi!

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”