Does anyone know what "niihau" means in English? (Hawaiian)

Moderators: aaakknu, atalarikt

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2007-10-28, 20:09

Oddly enough, we may not have Hawai'inui in our stories (at least none that I'm aware of), there is Hawai'iloa, a navigator who settled on the island of Hawai'i and they say it was named after him.

Well we have Hawaiki Roa in our history, but that was the name of an island, not of a navigator as far as I'm aware. Maybe a connection? Or maybe a false friend?

I forgot the story of why Ra'iatea was named that. Had to do with the chief's daughter on that island.

Yeah, a couple called Rangi and Atea cohabited. Hence the name.

Niue's first ancestor was called Langiatea. I'm not suggesting that Tahitians sailed to Niue or that Niueans colonized Tahiti, but I find the idea interesting that their source or ancestor is Langiatea while ours is an island called Rangiatea (which is more properly known as Hawaiki Nui).
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2007-10-29, 1:42

riki wrote:
Oddly enough, we may not have Hawai'inui in our stories (at least none that I'm aware of), there is Hawai'iloa, a navigator who settled on the island of Hawai'i and they say it was named after him.

Well we have Hawaiki Roa in our history, but that was the name of an island, not of a navigator as far as I'm aware. Maybe a connection? Or maybe a false friend?

The story I'm looking at now mentions Hawaiiloa the chief mentions how he was active in his fishing excursions, sometimes gone for mos. during which he'd roam about the ocean in large waa. "The Big Island" which was an island he landed on found to be very fertile and he named it after himself. He and his people lived there for a long time and returned to their native country intending to come back to Hawaii nei (the Hawn. islands) which they preferred to their own country. He and the other travelers such as navigators, steersmen, shipbuilders, etc. and got their wives and children and others and went back to Hawaiinei. It was because of this that Hawaiiloa was called the special progenitor of this nation. Hawaiiloa called the islands after the names of his children.

After he had spent time in Hawaiinei, he made another voyage to find his brothers and their families. He found one brother and both he and the brother sailed (further?) southward and found an uninhabited island which Hawaiiloa called after his own name and other smaller island which he called after his daughter "Oahu".

Ok, so that last paragraph, dunno really b/c they say that Oahu was a chief, son of Lua and Papa. The story wasn't specific after he found his brother Ki as to where exactly he found him, and then it mentions they went south. But where the origin point was, dunno. But I can see why other places could be named Havaii.

Niue's first ancestor was called Langiatea. I'm not suggesting that Tahitians sailed to Niue or that Niueans colonized Tahiti, but I find the idea interesting that their source or ancestor is Langiatea while ours is an island called Rangiatea (which is more properly known as Hawaiki Nui).

And these are all important to know. Even something as simple as these names, these cultural tidbids give you insight into the language, the change of sounds from one polynesian language to another or even in Hawaiian alone too.
He manao oiwi!

E hoi e pee i ke opu weuweu me he moho la. E ao o hai ka pua o ka mauu ia oe

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2007-10-29, 2:17

Is that story available online? And is it available in the Hawaiian language?

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2007-10-29, 14:14

riki wrote:Is that story available online? And is it available in the Hawaiian language?

Luckily I decided to look it up online. It seems to be not that much diff. than what I have in my book.

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~dennisk/voyagin ... iiloa.html

In the book that I have by Abraham Fornander, it says it is a compilation and condensed version of Kepelino and Samuel Kamakau. So I googled that and provided the link above. It also mentions Fornander.

But if you look under "other travels of Hawai'i Loa", you'll see what I mentioned, except they actually said Tahiti and Sawaii. Fornander's version is pages and pages long that begins with a genealogy (no surprise) going down to Hawai'iloa.

Also, I know that there is a book out on Kepelino's work. Unfortunately the Fornander version is in English, although the 3 huge volumed books that I have of Fornander are for the most part BILINGUAL. One side will have Hawaiian, then across on the other page is in English. But when it comes to some of the stories it ends up only being in English.
He manao oiwi!

huneegyrl

Ni'ihau

Postby huneegyrl » 2007-11-09, 2:57

According to Wewe.org, Ni'ihau means:Niʻihau i ke kīkū (saying), Niʻihau leans firmly back [the people of Niʻihau are independent]. Independent.
hope that helps...

huneegyrl

Postby huneegyrl » 2007-11-09, 2:59

sorry, I meant Wehewehe.org.... :?

Nohola

Re: Ni'ihau

Postby Nohola » 2007-11-09, 3:42

huneegyrl wrote:According to Wewe.org, Ni'ihau means:Niʻihau i ke kīkū (saying), Niʻihau leans firmly back [the people of Niʻihau are independent]. Independent.
hope that helps...

Actually that's just one of the common epithets to that particular island. Normally you hear Niihau a Kahelelani.
He manao oiwi!

Mamo

Re: Ni'ihau

Postby Mamo » 2007-11-09, 5:28

Nohola wrote:
huneegyrl wrote:According to Wewe.org, Ni'ihau means:Niʻihau i ke kīkū (saying), Niʻihau leans firmly back [the people of Niʻihau are independent]. Independent.
hope that helps...

Actually that's just one of the common epithets to that particular island. Normally you hear Niihau a Kahelelani.

Indeed. As you said, it is an epithet, not a definition for the name Ni'ihau. It would be like saying that the meaning of Kaua'i is Kaua'i o Manokalanipō, or that the meaning of Superman is "the man of steel."

TheManu

Postby TheManu » 2008-04-15, 0:31

Mamo wrote:The island Maui is named after the legendary Māui, but I am not sure of its meaning. One meaning for the Hawaiian word māui is "bruised, sprained." Still, his name persists throughout Polynesia, and for now, I'm not sure of what other meanings it may have in these other languages, nor what it originally meant in reference to his name.

Hello Mamo, I really hate quoting wikipedia but I found this and was wondering what your thoughts are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81ui_ ... thology%29

His name should not be confused with the island Maui, even though some authors neglect to add the macron when writing his name.

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2008-04-15, 0:40

TheManu wrote:
Mamo wrote:The island Maui is named after the legendary Māui, but I am not sure of its meaning. One meaning for the Hawaiian word māui is "bruised, sprained." Still, his name persists throughout Polynesia, and for now, I'm not sure of what other meanings it may have in these other languages, nor what it originally meant in reference to his name.

Hello Mamo, I really hate quoting wikipedia but I found this and was wondering what your thoughts are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81ui_ ... thology%29

His name should not be confused with the island Maui, even though some authors neglect to add the macron when writing his name.

Cute that you quoted Wikipedia. Here is what Elbert had to say in Place Names of Hawai'i.

Maui. Second largest island in the Hawaiian group, 48 miles long, 26 miles wide, with an area of 728 square miles and a population in 1970 of 38,691. Wai-luku is the major town and county seat. Maui High School is in Ka-hului. The county includes Maui, Lā-naʻi, Ka-hoʻolawe, and Molokaʻi islands. Epithet: Maui o Kama, Maui of Kama (a famous ancient chief, also called Kama-lālā-walu). The island was named for the demigod Māui

And his explanation on the reason for reduction in vowel length.

Last edited by Mamo on 2008-04-15, 0:48, edited 1 time in total.

TheManu

Postby TheManu » 2008-04-15, 0:48

So Maui the island is without a macron.
Thanks for that Mamo. Do you have any hawaiian tradition text that says the island was named after Maui(macron Maui)?
Last edited by TheManu on 2008-04-15, 0:50, edited 1 time in total.

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2008-04-15, 0:50

TheManu wrote:So Maui the island is without a macron.
Thanks for that Mamo. Do you have any hawaiian text that says the island was named after Maui(macron Maui)?

I just gave it to you. Here's more from Place Names of Hawai'i.

TheManu

Postby TheManu » 2008-04-15, 0:59

Thanks Mamo, but that was just some little cute snippet from what looks like an encyclopedia. I was more interested in a recorded Hawaiian tradition of how Maui received its name. You got anything in the Hawaiian language from Abraham Fornander, Samuel Manaiakalani Kamakau, or David Malo?

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2008-04-15, 1:02

TheManu wrote:Thanks Mamo, but that was just some little cute snippet from what looks like an encyclopedia. I was more interested in a recorded Hawaiian tradition of how Maui received its name. You got anything in the Hawaiian language from Abraham Fornander, Samuel Manaiakalani Kamakau, or David Malo?

Hi Manu. I will not spoon feed you information on the Hawaiian language. You wouldn't be able to read it anyway. Look it up yourself. ;)

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-04-15, 2:36

You got anything in the Hawaiian language from Abraham Fornander, Samuel Manaiakalani Kamakau, or David Malo?

You're welcome to search the Hawaiian language newspapers available online. I must warn you though you need to be able to speak intermediate Hawaiian at least.

TheManu

Postby TheManu » 2008-04-15, 3:13

Mamo wrote:
TheManu wrote:Thanks Mamo, but that was just some little cute snippet from what looks like an encyclopedia. I was more interested in a recorded Hawaiian tradition of how Maui received its name. You got anything in the Hawaiian language from Abraham Fornander, Samuel Manaiakalani Kamakau, or David Malo?

Hi Manu. I will not spoon feed you information on the Hawaiian language. You wouldn't be able to read it anyway. Look it up yourself. ;)

I was actually asking you to back up your statement that Maui island was named after Maui(macron) the ancestor using Hawaiian tradition/mythology. It's understandable if you can't, much of Hawaiian history(or mythology) has been lost.

btw- I believe both Fornander and Malo provided translations in their work.

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2008-04-17, 13:59

TheManu wrote:Thanks Mamo, but that was just some little cute snippet from what looks like an encyclopedia.

That "cute little snippet from what looks like an encyclopaedia" was a screen capture straight from Place Names of Hawai'i, a landmark scholarly work by Samuel Elbert, Mary Kawena Puku'i, and Esther Mo'okini. They were the most recent leading authorities on the Hawaiian language during the 20th century, and their scholarly conclusions hold much more weight in academic circles than the publicly edited article on Wikipedia.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-04-30, 11:37

much of Hawaiian history(or mythology) has been lost.

:roll: And you know this how???

btw- I believe both Fornander and Malo provided translations in their work.

We're not Malo or Fornander. We're Mamo and Riki. If we got royalties for what we wrote sure we might provide translations for everything.

But since this is a free service there is only so much we can do.

You on the other hand are free to learn Hawaiian and read for yourself what the Hawaiian language newspapers say.

TheManu

Postby TheManu » 2008-04-30, 17:45

Mamo wrote:
TheManu wrote:Thanks Mamo, but that was just some little cute snippet from what looks like an encyclopedia.

That "cute little snippet from what looks like an encyclopaedia" was a screen capture straight from Place Names of Hawai'i, ...

I was looking for more of chant or something. I thought that would be the traditional Hawaiian way but it's understandable that there isn't because much of Hawaiian history(or mythology) and culture has been lost.

I guess we will just have to settle for the snippet.

Mahalo nui and have a good day my bruddah Mamo, may the Lord be with you and guide you on your way.

Atama'i Havai'ian

Re: does anyone know what Niihau means in english?

Postby Atama'i Havai'ian » 2008-09-15, 6:58

It's only to be expected. All of the fake Hawaiians ruling over these forums have been beaten into submission by superior academic arguments. I - the 4th Tahuna Nui of the Huna Church - claim aliiship over these barren lands.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”