He Minuke

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Ariki
He Minuke

Postby Ariki » 2006-10-12, 6:25

Ku'uwehi has just moved into a new neighbourhood where everyone speaks Hawaiian. She sees a wahine in the yard watering her ti leaves and wants to say hello. Play the part of Ku'uwehi, don't forget to greet the wahine, introduce yourself, ask how she is and where she is from (she may be from another islands).

Now play the part of the person who Ku'uwehi has just met. Do your best to show the value of ho'okipa don't forget its not what you have to offer, its all in the way you share, its good old Hawaiian hospitality.

Ku'uwehi: Hui e!
Wahine: Aloha! Pehea 'oe?
Ku'uwehi: Maika'i au, pehea 'oe?
Wahine: Maika'i ho'i au, wela oe?
Ku'uwehi: 'Ae, wela loa au
Wahine: Komo mai, e inu kaua.
Ku'uwehi: He hale maika'i keia.
Wahine: Mahalo. No hea mai 'oe?
Ku'uwehi: No Honolulu au, no hea mai 'oe?
Wahine: No Kaua'i au.
Ku'uwehi: Pehea ka ulu'ana o ke ti?
Wahine: Maika'i no, makemake oe he mea'ai?
Ku'uwehi: Makemake au he mea'ai, pololi loa au!
Wahine: Maika'i, e hele aku kaua i Mac Donalds, 'ai ai. Na'u e ku'ai!
Ku'uwehi: Mahalo no kena. E hele kaua!
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Mamo

Re: He Minuke

Postby Mamo » 2006-11-15, 7:29

riki wrote:
Ku'uwehi has just moved into a new neighbourhood where everyone speaks Hawaiian. She sees a wahine in the yard watering her ti leaves and wants to say hello. Play the part of Ku'uwehi, don't forget to greet the wahine, introduce yourself, ask how she is and where she is from (she may be from another islands).

Now play the part of the person who Ku'uwehi has just met. Do your best to show the value of ho'okipa don't forget its not what you have to offer, its all in the way you share, its good old Hawaiian hospitality.

Ku'uwehi: Hui e!
Wahine: Aloha! Pehea 'oe?
Ku'uwehi: Maika'i au, pehea 'oe?
Wahine: Maika'i ho'i au, wela oe?
Ku'uwehi: 'Ae, wela loa au
Wahine: Komo mai, e inu kaua.
Ku'uwehi: He hale maika'i keia.
Wahine: Mahalo. No hea mai 'oe?
Ku'uwehi: No Honolulu au, no hea mai 'oe?
Wahine: No Kaua'i au.
Ku'uwehi: Pehea ka ulu'ana o ke ti?
Wahine: Maika'i no, makemake oe he mea'ai?
Ku'uwehi: Makemake au he mea'ai, pololi loa au!
Wahine: Maika'i, e hele aku kaua i Mac Donalds, 'ai ai. Na'u e ku'ai!
Ku'uwehi: Mahalo no kena. E hele kaua!

This is extremely good. Your knowledge of Māori NZ and Māori CI has given you a good base for understanding Hawaiian. There are only two tiny things that I would change:

1. In the sentence "Pehea ka ulu'ana o ke tī?" I would separate the words "ulu" and " 'ana." 'Ana was attached to the nominalized verbs in older writings but is not done anymore. It is a nominalizing particle rather than a suffix. 'Ia, the passivizing particle, was also attached to passivized verbs in older writings, but it, too, is not a suffix.

2. In the sentence "Maika'i, e hele aku kāua i Mac Donalds, 'ai ai." I would not pause the sentence with a comma before " 'ai ai." I would also put "e" before the verb. It would look like this:

Maika'i, e hele aku kāua i Mac Donalds e 'ai ai.

The pattern you used appears to have been carried over from Māori CI and NZ. Just remember that the pattern is fine, as long as you remember not to pause at that part of the sentence and to place "e" before the verb, making e verb ai.

Ua holo au i Maui e he'enalu ai - I went to Maui in order to surf.

Ua 'e'e au ma luna o ka 'oneki e māka'ika'i ai - I went aboard deck in order to sightsee.

E uho'i kākou i ka hale e ho'omaha ai. - Let's go home in order to rest.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”