Hawaiian Discussion

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2008-01-02, 12:48

Aleco wrote:Yeah, I think those are right :oops: :lol:

Ok, since that is what you were trying to say, I'm going to write how I'd say it.

He 'ōlelo hawai'i hana nui - Not sure if you're trying to say that the Hawaiian language is a lot of work?
He hana nui ka 'olelo Hawai'i.

Kala mai ia'u, akā 'a'ole kōkua au - are you trying to say that you couldn't (or can't) help?[/quote]
kala mai ia'u, aka 'a'ole i hiki ia'u ke kokua "hiki" means "to be able to" and is constructed a different way.
He manao oiwi!

E hoi e pee i ke opu weuweu me he moho la. E ao o hai ka pua o ka mauu ia oe

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2008-01-02, 16:27

Thank you very much! :D
Last edited by Aleco on 2008-01-04, 6:27, edited 1 time in total.
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-01-03, 16:49

He puke wehewehe 'ōlelo maika'i kēia

Yes, that is correct Aleco.

Although I could have answered your statements a few months ago at the time I didn't want to just "rush in".

In terms of saying that Hawaiian is a lot of work, what you are really saying, is that it is very difficult to learn the Hawaiian language.

Remember when you're going to translate from English into Hawaiian Aleco, you have to consider what you are really saying in English That means if you're using an English idiom you should think about what it means before translating into another language. I'm sure you already understand this.

I'm sure if Mamo's heart was really into this, he wouldn't let a fight with me to stop him from coming back.
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2008-01-04, 0:45

riki wrote:In terms of saying that Hawaiian is a lot of work, what you are really saying, is that it is very difficult to learn the Hawaiian language.

Remember when you're going to translate from English into Hawaiian Aleco, you have to consider what you are really saying in English That means if you're using an English idiom you should think about what it means before translating into another language. I'm sure you already understand this.

Wow, definitely a sign. Aleco, riki is right about this. I overlooked the meaning behind that sentence - The Hawaiian language is a lot of work. But I mentioned how this is a sign because as I have my Word document open on my favorite 'Olelo No'eau (Hawaiian proverbs), I see on the screen is this:

Kani ke 'o, he ihona pali

One may shout with joy, as this is a going downhill.

This was said whene the hard work that was being done was finally over. And from now on, it'll be easy. Granted that's not what you were trying to say, but just something to take into consideration if anything is of "he hana nui". So, maybe the Hawaiian language can seem like it is a lot of work, such as learning all these peculiarities of the language that differs from your own native tongue, just think that once you learn them...kani ke 'o, he ihona pali!
He manao oiwi!

Nohola

Postby Nohola » 2008-01-04, 0:45

Aleco wrote:Thanks you very much? :D

Oops, maybe I should've replied to you rather than riki if i wanted to address you. Sorry about that.
He manao oiwi!

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Hawaiian Discussion

Postby Multiturquoise » 2014-06-23, 16:32

I'm looking forward to learn Hawaiian ;) I wish there were more learners of Hawaiian...

I already have enough resources. Hope they will help me.

http://wehewehe.org/
I use that website to learn the Hawaiian definitions of words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_g ... b_creation
http://www.memrise.com/course/82704/basic-hawaiian/
http://www.memrise.com/course/107644/ba ... aiian-2-2/
Those are to practice Hawaiian grammar.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

kahihi'o

Postby kahihi'o » 2014-11-05, 9:09

I've been gone for a very long time because I've been really busy, but I'm still available to anyone who has questions. Just shoot me a PM.
I nui ke aho a moe i ke kai, no ke kai kā hoʻi ua ʻāina.

Teango

Postby Teango » 2014-12-21, 18:50

Aloha kākou!

I've been learning Hawaiian at UH Mānoa for a semester, and have already eagerly signed up for Haw 102 next year; I simply love the language! Although the Hawaiian threads look a little quiet, I remain hopeful that things will pick up, and I look forward to chatting and comparing notes with other members here on the forum who know, study, or are interested in Hawaiian. :)

A hui hou,
Teango

cjibhstcszjb

Postby cjibhstcszjb » 2015-05-19, 1:54

There are 12 monolingual speakers, all elderly and living on Ni`ihau, according to a tour guide from my vacation to Hawai`i.

Kekāne‘āhē

Postby Kekāne‘āhē » 2015-12-11, 5:10

cjibhstcszjb wrote:There are 12 monolingual speakers, all elderly and living on Ni`ihau, according to a tour guide from my vacation to Hawai`i.

WAY more than that. Even back when the immersion schools started, there were about 1500 to 2000, and that number has grown since then (I've read that it's more like 8000 now. And 24000 people use it at home according to the last census, though since that's self-reported, that number may be too high)

Kees

Postby Kees » 2016-03-07, 4:45

Aloha! I was hoping someone could help me. If I wanted to say something like "I pick locks" (as in, picking them open with a lockpick).... How would that go? My closest guess for the verb would be ‘ōhiki. Keeping in mind I'm not well versed in sentence construction yet, I think it might be "‘ōhiki au i nā laka." Am I close?

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-27, 1:55

Spoken Hawaiian from Ulukau: The Hawaiian Electronic Library
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”