Hæjó, ancient greek ?

Moderator: Ashucky

Egein

Hæjó, ancient greek ?

Postby Egein » 2005-11-15, 0:15

Hæ.
I'm looking for some easy ancient greek texts the kind you would find in a grammar book for beginers/intermediate. Not big homeric poetry or stuff like that.

Takk.
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

ego

Postby ego » 2005-11-15, 0:39

I have found some really easy texts, or just proverbs, sayings etc, in the Teach Yourself ancient Greek. This book is accompanyied by a website with additional readings, exercises etc. So you could take a look at the additional texts of the first lessons. This is the webpage.
In general, the "easiest" of all the ancient writers is considered to be Aesop (Αίσωπος), as he used more colloquial language than Plato etc, and he wrote funny stories and not heavy philosophical texts.

Egein

Postby Egein » 2005-11-15, 2:17

takk takk egó.
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2005-11-15, 9:53

ego wrote:In general, the "easiest" of all the ancient writers is considered to be Aesop (Αίσωπος), as he used more colloquial language than Plato etc, and he wrote funny stories and not heavy philosophical texts.

I don't agree. One of Plato's great abilities was the colloquial form in which he wrote his dialogues. I could easily understand him, while with Aesopos, I had more trouble. Aesopos just isn't my 'thing' I guess, but it's not true Plato isn't very readible as well.

At school, the real literature (instead of the fictional stories, made by the authors of the method) starts with the Septuagintha. And that's very very simple Greek indeed. It is a great starting point, even though it's not the classical Greek which was spoken in Athens around 400 BC.

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2005-11-15, 17:03

I find Xenophon’s work quite easy, and very interesting.

Zoroa ;)
Deviens qui tu es !
Nietzsche "Ainsi parlait Zarathoustra"

Kyr

Postby Kyr » 2005-11-15, 22:27

You can try the original Gospel text first - also the Dialogues of Lucian Samosateus.

ego

Postby ego » 2005-11-16, 10:40

Indeed, how could I forget! I have all these Asterix and they are great, and indeed a good practice. It is a nice effort to show how ancient Greeks used to talk in everyday life, because we should not forget that philosophers' language was not so colloquial. In ancient Greece there was already a distinction between the colloquial and the written language. This is the most serious argument I have to face when I say to someone I want to learn "colloquial ancient Greek".

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2005-11-16, 14:17

About what period of ancient Greece are you talking, ego? Because I doubt whether this discrepantion was a fact concerning the Greek of classical Athens.

And especially concerning Plato. Because, maybe you don't know, but Plato did use colloquial language, ΄ο εστιν everyday talk, in his dialogues as much as he could - on purpose. When people try to make long sentences when talking, they mostly mess up the grammatical construction they had started. So Plato indeed puts anakolouths in their mouth. And there are a lot more examples that show that Plato's text represent every day talk pretty well.

But indeed, you shouldn't expect Aristoteles to have done so too. And not either does it mean that those Asterix's aren't a fine representation of Ancient Greek every day talk as well. I'd like to have them too. :D 8)

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2005-11-16, 14:20

By the way, a little offtopic, is it the forum or my computer which doesn't want me to see most of the Greek letters with accents, or characters of the IPA? (like ὁ εστιν, is that 'square estin' to you too?)

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-11-16, 14:28

Dminor wrote:By the way, a little offtopic, is it the forum or my computer which doesn't want me to see most of the Greek letters with accents, or characters of the IPA? (like ὁ εστιν, is that 'square estin' to you too?)

If you're using Internet Explorer, than you're out of luck—because of the very nature of how the forum's been designed, chances are you won't get to see polytonic Greek at all; if you're using other browsers (such as Firefox), than it's probably just a matter of fonts and/or configuration.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2005-11-16, 14:34

I am using Internet Explorer.. is there nothing I can do? :cry:

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”