Please help identify this language

Moderator:Ashucky

jtatay
Please help identify this language

Postby jtatay » 2019-10-31, 15:34

Please, can someone identify this text language. I honestly don't even know if it's well oriented. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Linguaphile

Re: Please help identify this language

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-10-31, 19:03

It looks like Tibetan script, but oriented upside down in your image. The text starts with symbols shaped like this: ༄༅།, so orient the image in that direction so the those symbols are at the top. (Your second image has a nice close-up of this, but it should be at the top, not the bottom.)
However, Tibetan script is used to write several different languages and I can't read any of them, so I don't know specifically which language it is (Tibetan, Dzongkha, etc) or what the text says.
If no one who can read it sees your message here, you might try posting it in this thread: Tibetanབོད་སྐད་/Dzongkhaརྫོང་ཁ.

jtatay

Postby jtatay » 2019-11-01, 17:42

Thank you very much for your help Linguaphile.
It is true, it seems that the image is upside down! As nobody else has answered I will follow your advice and write in the thread: Tibetan བོད་ སྐད་ / Dzongkha རྫོང་ ཁ.
Thanks again.

jtatay

Postby jtatay » 2019-11-29, 17:14

Just a small update about my research. It seems to be a Mani stone from Tibet.
Mani stones are stone plates, rocks and/or pebbles, carved or inscribed with the six syllabled mantra of Avalokiteshvara[1] (Om mani padme hum, hence the name "Mani stone"), as a form of prayer in Tibetan Buddhism. I have found some pictures of very similar stones. So thanks again for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-11-29, 17:27

Thanks for the update! :D

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”