Coptic Study group

Moderator:Ashucky

księżycowy
Re: Coptic Study group

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 8:56

I feel like we kind of stole this group from Antea. :lol:

So, shall we actually do something, or was that all talk?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-16, 18:56

Maybe we can wait for Antea.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 18:58

I'm fine with that. :)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-11-16, 19:49

Sorry, I am here, kind of. It has been a terrible week with lots of work, and I was a little bit stressed. But now it’s better. Have you picked up a resource? I was using that really old compendium book that I posted sometime ago in the Coptic thread (ancient and extinct languages), but I don’t know if that’s the most adequate. :hmm:

There are also some videos available in YouTube.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-11-16, 19:51

I am also watching this (from Egyptian Arabic dialect to Coptic)

https://youtu.be/T87eB-CA_TU

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 20:04

I think we've picked Introduction to Sahidic Coptic by Lambdin. Keyword think.

What pace do you guys want to go at?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-16, 22:00

I think I've asked this before in another study group in response to the same question, but what pace would you like to go at? :P
Antea wrote:I am also watching this (from Egyptian Arabic dialect to Coptic)

Huh, that's pretty interesting! Thanks! :)
księżycowy wrote:I think we've picked Introduction to Sahidic Coptic by Lambdin. Keyword think.

That's my understanding as well.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 22:09

Well, since I keep having to be the one to figure out the pace, how about the whole book by the end of the month?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-16, 22:20

:lol:

Okay, how about we start next week with the alphabet? Is everyone in this group sort of familiar with the Greek alphabet? :hmm:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 22:43

Ok, how about the Introduction (pages vii-xvii) by either next week (11/25) or the week after (12/2)?

EDIT: I wouldn't mind bi-weekly check-ins, rather than weekly, myself.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-17, 4:00

Either way is fine for me.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-11-17, 8:15

I already know the Coptic alphabet, it’s like the Greek but with some letters more (but usually there are no fonts).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-17, 20:35

vijayjohn wrote:And I learned that there are efforts to revive the Coptic language inside the church, but also that there is an entire political party in Egypt called the Liberal Egyptian Party whose goals include the revival of the Egyptian language and/or Coptic and recognizing Egyptian Arabic (instead of Modern Standard Arabic) as the official language of Egypt.

The revival efforts are, from what I remember reading, based on another dialect of Coptic than what we will be studying. Also, that political party apparently dissolved in 2011 and merged with another party to form a third party. I didn't look into the ideal of the newly-formed party, though.

księżycowy wrote:Ok, how about the Introduction (pages vii-xvii) by either next week (11/25) or the week after (12/2)?

EDIT: I wouldn't mind bi-weekly check-ins, rather than weekly, myself.

I'd prefer to try for bi-weekly as well, especially if we're going to try and do the full Introduction by then. It's been a while since I last did Koine Greek, and though I remember the alphabet for the most part, depending on how different the phonology is with Coptic, the Introduction won't simply be a review. Plus, there is also things like the part about stress, etc.

Antea wrote:I already know the Coptic alphabet, it’s like the Greek but with some more letters more (but usually there are no fonts).

Do you think you could update the first post with each weekly (or biweekly) assignment? You don't have to, but I find it helpful.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-17, 23:27

Did I suggest too much? :P

I was thinking it should be mostly a quick read.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-18, 5:30

I personally don't think you suggested too much. :hmm:
dEhiN wrote:The revival efforts are, from what I remember reading, based on another dialect of Coptic than what we will be studying.

Yeah, modern revival efforts are based on Bohairic (from Lower Egypt), not Sahidic (from Upper Egypt).
Also, that political party apparently dissolved in 2011 and merged with another party to form a third party. I didn't look into the ideal of the newly-formed party, though.

I didn't know that, but yeah, the new party doesn't seem to have any clear linguistic policies/goals FWICT.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-18, 6:09

I don't think you suggested too much either. Reading all of this plus the stuff in the Old English group will be a bit challenging, but the 10 pages for this group is doable.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-18, 7:13

I'm having the darnedest time trying to wrap my head around the alphabet for some weird reason. :lol:

EDIT: OK, I'm reading the part about the alphabet in the book after having tried to read about it on Wikipedia, and now, it's not so weird anymore. I think I just needed a bit of time to get over some of the Coptic-specific characters (including some of the Greek-derived ones!). :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-18, 7:31

vijayjohn wrote:I'm having the darnedest time trying to wrap my head around the alphabet for some weird reason. :lol:

EDIT: OK, I'm reading the part about the alphabet in the book after having tried to read about it on Wikipedia, and now, it's not so weird anymore. I think I just needed a bit of time to get over some of the Coptic-specific characters (including some of the Greek-derived ones!). :P

So would you recommend I check out about the Coptic alphabet on Wikipedia first, and then try the book?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-18, 7:53

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I'm having the darnedest time trying to wrap my head around the alphabet for some weird reason. :lol:

So would you recommend I check out about the Coptic alphabet on Wikipedia first, and then try the book?

You might find it helpful especially if you're kind of frustrated, like I was, about the letters being so fucking small in the book. :P Wikipedia (this article, in this particular case) has a good habit of presenting each symbol in each script in a nice, large font.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-18, 9:53

Break out the magnifying glasses!

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”