Sumerian Study Group

Moderator:Ashucky

dEhiN
Re: Sumerian Study Group

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-02, 22:15

Antea wrote:I think I will have finished by tomorrow. This week had been a madness, I had a lot of work, and now I am just exhausted :? . So tonight I will take it easy, just some reading, but not too complicated :whistle:

And by reading, I take it you mean language study reading? You know you're a language nerd when...*

*Didn't there used to be a thread where you could write things that made you know you're a language nerd? :hmm:
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-04, 6:20

Antea wrote:This week had been a madness, I had a lot of work, and now I am just exhausted :? .

Same. This right here is why I've posted so uncharacteristically little over the past few days.
dEhiN wrote:Didn't there used to be a thread where you could write things that made you know you're a language nerd? :hmm:

Well, there still is a thread called You know you're obsessed with languages when..., but I suspect you're probably thinking of You know you're a unilanger, which has much more recent posts.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-04, 18:00

So, since it's Sunday, how's everyone doing? Were we all able to read up to the end of section 2.1?
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 18:38

Honestly? No. I didn't even get around to working on Cayuga, Aleut or Japanese yet! :P

But don't worry about me catching up.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-04, 21:52

księżycowy wrote:But don't worry about me catching up.

Ok, no worries. Hopefully Vijay, Antea, and Eril were able to finish. If not, we can extend things by another week.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-04, 21:57

Yeah, I finished it five days ago and posted here that I did. :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-04, 22:17

vijayjohn wrote:Yeah, I finished it five days ago and posted here that I did. :)

Oh right, I totally forgot! Well, let's wait a day or two and see if Antea and Eril get back to us. If not, then we could go ahead with section 2.2.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-06, 22:24

So it's been a couple of days, and no word from the others. I looked at Section 2.2 and it's 4 pages. Because of this, I was thinking to wait until next week to start it. I changed the due date for Section 2.1 to this Saturday (November 10), allowing anyone who hasn't caught up to do so.

księżycowy, if you have the time, why don't you read Section 2.1 (plus the intro paragraph to Lesson 2)? Honestly, there's nothing in Lesson 1 that will really slow you down if you haven't read it. At least, not if you have been following this thread, since I've explained roughly what's in Lesson 1, and Vijay has helped answer some questions on terminology.

If we don't hear anything from Antea and Eril by the end of this week, then it might just be you, VIjay, you, księżycowy, and myself. Because Section 2.2 is 4 pages, I suggest we either do is over 2 weeks, or try to do one page per week (so over 4 weeks). Browse through Section 2.2 and let me know what you guys think.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-07, 4:38

I think I'm fine with anything, even just doing that section in one week. (That being said, I have a bunch of things to get done in the other study groups, so I may be speaking too soon :P).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-07, 10:18

vijayjohn wrote: (That being said, I have a bunch of things to get done in the other study groups, so I may be speaking too soon :P).

Naprawdę.... :pff:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-07, 18:11

So, I just skimmed through lesson 2.

My God.....this guy likes to ramble on and be super technical. Geez. Just give the the basics and build from there.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-07, 19:36

księżycowy wrote:So, I just skimmed through lesson 2.

My God.....this guy likes to ramble on and be super technical. Geez. Just give the the basics and build from there.

Lol :D

I wonder what his classes were like? This pdf is basically a collation of his class notes.

ETA: I just realized why I had so much trouble with 2.2 the first time I went through it. I tried to follow along and understand everything he talked about. I think when we start 2.2, I might have to skim through or skip some of the examples. (Or perhaps we could break them down on here?)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-11-07, 20:57

Please, just continue at your own pace. It’s still a madness, here. I have to work, all day long and part of the night. I have things that need to be finished on due date. And unfortunately it will continue like that until next week :roll: I am just coming from time to time to check posts and let my imagination fly...

Edit: I suppose I will catch you sometime in the near future :roll:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-07, 21:10

Personally, I think Foxvog would have been a better choice. But I'm fine with continuing with this text if that's what everyone else wants.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-08, 1:50

Antea wrote:Please, just continue at your own pace. It’s still a madness, here. I have to work, all day long and part of the night. I have things that need to be finished on due date. And unfortunately it will continue like that until next week :roll: I am just coming from time to time to check posts and let my imagination fly...

Edit: I suppose I will catch you sometime in the near future :roll:

Thanks for letting us know. Sorry you're so busy, but hope it's a good busy. (Also, I would sat "finished on time" or "finished by the/their due date"; saying "on due date" sounds a bit off to me.)

księżycowy wrote:Personally, I think Foxvog would have been a better choice. But I'm fine with continuing with this text if that's what everyone else wants.

Why do you say that? We're not that far in. If Foxvog is clearer and/or simpler, then I'm for switching.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-08, 9:51

I'm pretty sure he is clearer and simpler, but let me double check. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-08, 15:14

My vote for Foxvog after looking at it again. But everyone else take a look and see what you think.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-10, 5:55

I don't understand what y'all are talking about. What is this Foxvog thing? Foxvog's Introduction to Sumerian Grammar? I don't see how to get access to it.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-10, 10:04

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-10, 20:31

I skimmed through The Sumerian Writing System section, and I already like what I see far better than Zólyomi. I'm alright with switching to Foxvog. That first section is pretty lengthy though, so what type of pace would you guys want to use?

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”