Sumerian Study Group

Moderator: Ashucky

Eril

Re: Sumerian Study Group

Postby Eril » 2019-05-19, 16:29

Great! I haven't continued yet - I guess let's just start with the exercises next and see how fast it goes?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-05-19, 16:32

Sure!

Eril

Postby Eril » 2019-06-10, 19:01

Started a bit on the exercises today.

I took a short look at 4.3 but came to the conclusion that I don't find any patterns of sign-usage through time quickly and don't care to look more closely.

Then I did 4.4. It's a really good exercise, I think, finally something to put into practice what one learned.
Took a break half-way-through, which might be actually helpful to better internalize how the syntax works.
Those genitive constructions are quite counter-intuitive - for such exercises I can do them without too much hassle, but if I were to actually use that in spoken language... arghh, or rather ak ak ak ;)

I found a few mistakes in the solutions however (missing words, mainly). Seems like the author is also getting confused xD
And he does not mention that when one has a genitive as a modifier and an adjective as a modifier, the genitive comes before the adjective - but that's how he writes it in the solutions. Semantically it makes sense, though.

I started with 4.5 but only did a-d thus far.

There were also some words required but not provided that had not occurred in any examples before. But I could find all of them by searching the PDF for the meaning in question.

Eril

Postby Eril » 2019-06-17, 18:44

No further updates yet - but I guess you might have overlooked this one again?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-06-17, 18:55

No, I didn't, actually. I've just been kind of busy lately. :)

Eril

Postby Eril » 2019-06-17, 19:18

No problems!
I'll be on a business trip the next 2 weeks, so I'll also not do much studying then (except during the traveling perhaps), but then I'll be on vacation and will certainly have opportunity to continue.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-06-26, 6:00

Okay, I kind of rushed through 4.4 just now and got everything wrong. :para: I'm very puzzled by the new words in this exercise...they're all nouns, so why do they have TAM markers on them? :? Also, why does (a) have a plural marker on it? The son and the king are both singular...

I guess I need to find some way to take some time and internalize the syntax, too. :shock:

Eril

Postby Eril » 2019-07-10, 10:12

Hi! How are things going?

I finished all but the last of the exercises (the last involves reading cuneiform - but I read the transliteration and translation) and started reading the next chapter, which is on pronouns.

And yes, there are some mistakes in the solutions, that plural marker being one of them. But TAM-markers? Those are only on the adjectives, aren't they?

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”