What language is this?

Moderator:Ashucky

JakeC
What language is this?

Postby JakeC » 2014-02-19, 21:05

This is an ancient bronze lamp from Iran (probably Western Iran). There seems to be some writing on the top. Can anyone tell me what alphabet this is? Is it Aramaic?

I can try to upload more pictures if the quality of these is too low.

księżycowy

Re: What language is this?

Postby księżycowy » 2014-02-19, 22:59

At first glace it doesn't strike me as Hebrew script at all. I'm not exactly sure what that is myself. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with reading artifacts will pop by.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2014-02-20, 1:39

I think it might be a form of Imperial Aramiac script, or, more likely, one of the scripts of one of the old Iranian languages that derived from the Aramaic script. It looks heavily stylized so it may be hard to be an exact ID of which language it is without an expert opinion.

JakeC

Postby JakeC » 2014-03-17, 22:46

Thanks for the feedback. I did some research and found some similar-looking lamps on Google, but they are listed as being "12th Century." If the language is Aramaic I would think that the lamp is much older than 12th Century. Wouldn't the script be Arabic if it were 12th century? Also there is a bird on the handle, it's my understanding that Muslim art never has animals. The material is bronze.

Here are two more pictures. There are two lamps. These pictures are of the other one and might be clearer:

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”