księżyc - Ἑλληνική

Moderator:Ashucky

księżycowy
księżyc - Ἑλληνική

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-03, 13:17

So, I'm moving my Classical/Koine Greek thread here. I originally had it in the Latin forum. I figure this is a better place. Plus I hadn't really used the other thread all that much. I'll ask questions, post things of interest, etc here.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2014-07-18, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Æren

Re: księży - Ἑλληνική

Postby Æren » 2012-07-03, 18:57

Great! :)
ἀγαθὴ τυχή!
:<3: [flag=]pt [/flag] [flag=]es-ES [/flag] [flag=]fr [/flag]
:D [flag=]uk [/flag] [flag=]no[/flag] [flag=]lt[/flag] [flag=]de-AT[/flag]
:? [flag=]fa [/flag] [flag=]tl[/flag] [flag=]tr [/flag] [flag=]cs[/flag] [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]he [/flag]
:para: [flag=]ir [/flag] [flag=]hu [/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-15, 16:39

I'm reviewing the first section from Reading Greek (1A). I really want to move on to the next section (1B and beyond) later this week. I just got to stick with it. :yep:

One thing that struck me back when I started was:
ἐν δὲ Βυζαντίω . . .
lit. in and Byzantine
and in Byzantine . . .

So it seems that the adverb (in) comes before the conjunction (and).

ἕπειτα δὲ πλεῖ τὸ πλοῖον εἰς Εὔβοιαν.
lit. then and sailed the ship into Euboia
And then the ship sailed into Euboia.

Again, we find 'and' after 'then' to create 'and then.'

Æren wrote:Great! :)
ἀγαθὴ τυχή!

Ἐπαινῶ
No idea if that's right. And sorry for the late response.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-15, 19:53

Well, as I've been on a grammar kick with my textbooks lately, I figured I'd do the same for Greek. So I did the unthinkable. I bought Introduction to Attic Greek by Mastronarde.

I still like the JACT course, so I figure I'll use them together. Which I'll rely on more has yet to be see (I don't even have Mastronarde's book yet), but we'll see soon enough.

Æren

Postby Æren » 2012-07-16, 11:21

The particle δέ never stays in the beginning of the sentece and introduces an opposition in a very light degree, more like as adding something addtinional. :)
:<3: [flag=]pt [/flag] [flag=]es-ES [/flag] [flag=]fr [/flag]
:D [flag=]uk [/flag] [flag=]no[/flag] [flag=]lt[/flag] [flag=]de-AT[/flag]
:? [flag=]fa [/flag] [flag=]tl[/flag] [flag=]tr [/flag] [flag=]cs[/flag] [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]he [/flag]
:para: [flag=]ir [/flag] [flag=]hu [/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-16, 11:31

It was just interesting to see the word order in the Greek. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-24, 0:44

I just got Mastronarde's Introduction to Attic Greek. I'm going to use that as my main grammar source. But I'm still going to use the JACT course for extra reading practice and exercises as I go through Mastronarde's book. I'm not exactly how I'm going to do it, but I'll figure it out as I go.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2012-07-24, 1:26

Have you heard of Athenaze? It's a really good book.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-24, 10:25

Yes, I've heard of it. It seems just like the JACT course to me really. I was mainly looking for a really good grammar textbook, so I think I'll stick with Mastronarde. And I'm not throwing the JACT course out either (not by a long shot), so I think I'm good.
Thanks though.

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2012-07-28, 10:26

Dobson's Learn New Testament Greek is probably the best "inductive" approach there on the market. Of course, it's the NT-Koine only, but much of the grammar that you learn in NT Greek can be transferred backward into Classical, which makes the work much easier when you want to get down to the grammar.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-31, 13:06

Karavinka wrote:Dobson's Learn New Testament Greek is probably the best "inductive" approach there on the market. Of course, it's the NT-Koine only, but much of the grammar that you learn in NT Greek can be transferred backward into Classical, which makes the work much easier when you want to get down to the grammar.

Is it just me, or is that book written in some odd transcription? I ask because it looks that way from the Amazon preview. If so, that would make the book very odd to me. :?

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2012-08-01, 0:35

Yeah, as far as I can see, it's not in Greek script but a transliteration. And they're using an ugly font for the transliteration to boot.

If you're wanting to learn ancient Greek, I don't really see the point of learning it in transliteration. But that's just my take.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2012-08-01, 0:58

That's a terrible idea to use such a transliteration. I agree with you ceid donn, it's much better to learn the script, so you can learn the diacritics too, which are necessary to learn.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-08-01, 14:08

I agree completely with you too. That's what puzzled me greatly about that book (and why I steered clear). The Greek alphabet isn't that hard at all, why the hell would anyone feel the need to write a textbook in transliteration?? :?

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2012-08-07, 5:09

No, no, no. That's just a technical problem with Amazon. I have a hard copy of it, and I can tell you the actual book has clearly printed Greek letters.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-08-07, 11:56

Good, cause otherwise that book would be crazy! :P

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2012-08-27, 2:45

Tell that to Routledge, and its publications on Mandarin using pinyin only. And TONELESS pinyin at that. :roll:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-08-27, 23:34

What publications would those be? :?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-09-01, 2:12

So, I'm working on Mastronarde's book right now. I'm going to go through the first few chapters before I read anything from Reading Greek (a.k.a. RG).

Chapter 1-2 is on pronunciation and accent, I'm kind of skipping over these two chapters as I've already got a good idea of Greek pronunciation from my previous work with RG. Though I will still read them just to make sure I don't miss anything new.

Chapter 3 is all about class o noun declension. Which is kind of a partial review from RG again, but RG only was working with the nominative and accusative cases thus far, and Mastronarde goes over them all! Nothing like a good noun declension chart to end a pretty good day! 8-)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-11-06, 12:33

Well, I'm still working on Ancient Greek. It's just slow going.
I'm reviewing the o noun declension and are moving on to the a declension.

I feel like I should post actual notes, but at the same time I feel that would be redundant as most of this is easily found online.

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”