Norrœnt mál (Old Norse)

Moderator:Ashucky

Remis
Re: Norrœnt mál (Old Norse)

Postby Remis » 2011-08-11, 4:18

Whoops, hi guys. I haven't been on Unilang in ages and as such had more or less forgotten this thread.
Nice to see that I'm not the only one crazy enough to attempt Old Norse, haha.

Speaking of, thanks to my friend's dad I now own a PDF of An Introduction to Old Norse by E.V. Gordon. If anyone's interested in it, I could probably figure out a way to upload it (MegaUpload or something similar)?
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-08-11, 5:02

Remis wrote:Whoops, hi guys. I haven't been on Unilang in ages and as such had more or less forgotten this thread.
Nice to see that I'm not the only one crazy enough to attempt Old Norse, haha.

Speaking of, thanks to my friend's dad I now own a PDF of An Introduction to Old Norse by E.V. Gordon. If anyone's interested in it, I could probably figure out a way to upload it (MegaUpload or something similar)?

Yes, please do! :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-05-22, 17:52

A ton of downloadable pdfs, including a 3 volume textbook set, and plenty of original texts:
http://www.vsnrweb-publications.org.uk/

Remis

Postby Remis » 2012-05-24, 11:46

A New Introduction to Old Norse (aka the 3 volume textbook set) is awesome, just sayin'. I have it in physical form and it's pretty much "the" Old Norse textbook(s). :P

As for the "old" Introduction to Old Norse, if anyone still wants a download for that for some reason, PM me; I've got the link now, and I'm pretty sure I can't share it on the board due to copyrights :?. (It is different from the "New" set, though I'm not sure how many/how important the differences are. I do know that the New 3-volume set was £12.99 per book, while the old one [one volume] was £80, despite both versions being paperback and the old one being the same size as the New volume 2 only.)
Sorry for being so late with that, guys. I don't think I've checked the "Other Languages" subforum in half a year. :(
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-05-24, 12:19

Remis wrote:A New Introduction to Old Norse (aka the 3 volume textbook set) is awesome, just sayin'. I have it in physical form and it's pretty much "the" Old Norse textbook(s). :P

I agree totally! :mrgreen:
I've been looking over the pdf forms, and they are fantastic!
I hope to pick up a physical copy soon, if they ever get back to me! :P

Price wise, they do tend to sell the three as a set at a discounted price. (For the US, the individual volumes are about 20$ a pop, the set is [i]about[i] 45$)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-05-25, 21:26

księżycowy wrote:I hope to pick up a physical copy soon, if they ever get back to me! :P

On it's way! Woohoo! :whoo:

First time I've ever used that smiley. :P

Shad

Postby Shad » 2012-06-23, 21:42

I'd rather learn Icelandic first but bloody helvete, is Old Norse cool!

I would feel like a demigod if I could speak it :P

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2012-07-04, 17:35

Well, after having had Old Norse for about a year, I can at least say, that for me as a native Faroese speaker, the grammar of Old Norse is pretty much a piece of cake, so if you want to learn Old Norse, you might be well off by learning Faroese and/or Icelandic first.

Vocabulary though is turning out to be much more difficult though, although I'm hanging in there, and well, since I always have problems with vocabulary other people might staunchly disagree with me on this point.

But so far, I think I'm getting a better grasp of norrǿna. :)
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Sekisei

Postby Sekisei » 2012-09-16, 23:48

By the way, are there any Old Norse sagas (or parts of them) written as a poetry?

Æren

Postby Æren » 2012-10-06, 18:30

Hey, everyone! :D

Just dropped by to say I'm using Valfells and Cathey's "Old Icelandic. An Introductory Course" which I find great so far.
Good luck and keep the fire :)
:<3: [flag=]pt [/flag] [flag=]es-ES [/flag] [flag=]fr [/flag]
:D [flag=]uk [/flag] [flag=]no[/flag] [flag=]lt[/flag] [flag=]de-AT[/flag]
:? [flag=]fa [/flag] [flag=]tl[/flag] [flag=]tr [/flag] [flag=]cs[/flag] [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]he [/flag]
:para: [flag=]ir [/flag] [flag=]hu [/flag]

Quasus

Postby Quasus » 2012-10-07, 9:07

Hi, Æren! Could you share any tips? :) I take a glance at V—C from time to time and I’m constantly scared away by the tons of grammar (which I am presumably supposed to get by heart :shock:) and lengthy wordlists, while texts are given little prominence. :( A most user-unfriendly textbook, I think.

Æren

Postby Æren » 2012-10-07, 11:57

I give myself all the time I need. I mean, I make the grammar drills first and then read the text slowly, checking the words till I get used to them, and simply learn them by reading. Then I make the translations from English.
The tons of grammar you mentioned are actually pieces of the whole system, scattered around the book. Thus, actually, you are preserved from the strike of meeting the long paradigmas at once (though this method also has its cones).
:? [flag=]fa [/flag] [flag=]tl[/flag] [flag=]tr [/flag] [flag=]cs[/flag] [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]he [/flag]

Quasus

Postby Quasus » 2012-10-07, 20:58

Actually it would be a decent language textbook if the lessons started with glossed texts followed by grammatical comments. Apparently I’ll have to do that myself if I ever take it up. :( My problem is that I’m not sure how much grammar I should assimilate per lesson and how much of it I can safely forget till later, and how should I arrange the grammar concentrically. It seems too hard without a tutor. A textbook is one thing and a grammar reference book is another, but who cares? :(

Æren

Postby Æren » 2012-10-08, 12:51

I think this can't be used as a grammar reference book, though there're concluding pages where the paradigmas are given fully.
The situation with the texts is a bit hard, though, but it's the same with every other old language, I think.
Have you tired the lessons in utexas? http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/norol-0-X.html

Æren

Postby Æren » 2012-10-09, 13:21

Last night I put the New Introduction to Old Norse on my e-reader and today read a part of it.
It seemed to me a bit boring at first, because it was giving hints all the time how to escape mis-recognizing of the forms. Old Icelandic. An Introductory Course seems to have a better approach in my view, because it gives the thematic vowel of the noun and thus solves the problem of certain forms in the paradigma.

Today New Introduction to Old Norse almost convinced me to switch to the modern pronunciation.
Which one do you, learners of Old Norse, prefer and use? :)

Sekisei

Postby Sekisei » 2012-10-09, 17:56

What's 'modern pronunciation'? Do you mean that you read Old Norse as Icelandic? :shock:

Æren

Postby Æren » 2012-10-09, 18:11

Yes, it's written that lots of teachers and scholars read the old Norse texts with a modern Icelandic pronunciation. Which is not bad as an idea, though the differences are clear for everyone.

Sekisei

Postby Sekisei » 2012-10-09, 18:18

sounds like profanation to me

Quasus

Postby Quasus » 2012-10-09, 21:53

Æren wrote:Last night I put the New Introduction to Old Norse on my e-reader and today read a part of it.
It seemed to me a bit boring at first, because it was giving hints all the time how to escape mis-recognizing of the forms. Old Icelandic. An Introductory Course seems to have a better approach in my view, because it gives the thematic vowel of the noun and thus solves the problem of certain forms in the paradigma.

Today New Introduction to Old Norse almost convinced me to switch to the modern pronunciation.
Which one do you, learners of Old Norse, prefer and use? :)

The New Introduction implies I should read the grammar reference first. Over my dead body. :shock:

Generally, I’m astonished how rudimentary is the teaching methodology of Old Norse even compared to Latin and Classical Greek. And how scarce grammar books are. E. g. I managed to find a detailed treatment of the article syntax only in Nygaard’s Norrøn syntax, but I don’t understand Danish. :(

The lessons on utexas seem too specific. Linguist-oriented, I’d say.

If I ever take up Old Norse seriously, I’ll use the ancient pronunciation in the same way as I use the classical pronunciation for Latin.

Sekisei

Postby Sekisei » 2012-10-09, 23:20

I agree that Norrön is to be pronounced the way it's written rather than using modern Icelandic reading rules.

Btw, it would be fun to have a small Old Norse phrase book, just like I have this Gothic Phrase Book. Would anyone be interested in translating the same sentences into Old Norse?
(Old English is also tempting in this respect.)

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”