Coptic/Egyptian

Moderator:Ashucky

mōdgethanc
Re: Coptic/Egyptian

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-01-03, 1:34

All right man, I apologize. You can learn 53 languages if you want.
Talib, I think it's a bit rude to tell someone what they can and cannot learn. Sure, księżycowy could use some more focus but <s>ing off someone else's wishlist isn't terribly nice either.
Wow, yours could use a bit of work too!
A decent knowledge of Biblical Hebrew can transfer back to (or maybe "forward" to!) Modern Hebrew and vice versa, so it wouldn't be useless should he decide to take on some Modern version as well. Biblical vocab is much smaller than Modern one, of course and this is a boon as well. There are lots more study editions of Biblical Hebrew texts than Modern Hebrew texts as well.. so even from a learner's perspective it wouldn't be a terrible idea. (And I'm using both modern and biblical textbooks)
This is true and a major reason why learning Biblical Hebrew is not as hard as it seems at first. After a relatively short period of study, you can begin studying texts.
And after all, what would be wrong even if there was no Modern Hebrew and the language was entirely liturgical? You're on the thread "Coptic/Egyptian" and that's worse than Biblical Hebrew... :p
True, but I have no interest in learning either of those.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-01-03, 1:43

Talib wrote:All right man, I apologize. You can learn 53 languages if you want.

As I said, I probably won't get to all of them (it's called a wish-list for a reason). But ultimately no hard feelings on my end.

Now, back to Coptic/Egyptian . . . .

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-01-05, 23:40

Tulaib, be nice! I'm going to beat you with a stick.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-01-06, 3:25

Who or what is Tulaib?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-01-06, 7:04

It was my attempt at an Arabic diminutive. Maybe I forgot how to do it.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-01-06, 7:30

Don't use diminutives with me, boy.

And at least use the vocative particle.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-01-07, 14:04

Just found an answer key to Lambdin's Coptic textbook:
http://www.arts.uregina.ca/bill-arnal/lambdin-key

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2011-01-08, 13:13

although I don't have an interest in egyptology professionally, this is certainly an interest that I would be passionate about as a hobby so these languages (anywhere from ancient egyptian through middle egyptian with heiratic/demotic up to modern coptic) would be awesome to learn more about... besides, what could be more fun than writing with a bunch of birds, feet, and little people doing random things :lol:

I already have support for coptic writing available on the tools section of wikilang (tools.langwiki.info I believe it is) and there is supposedly utf-8 support for hieroglyphs but I still haven't been able to get them to render correctly for me... as for hieratic and demotic, I don't think those are supported yet... if anybody knows of a way to input any of these scripts on a computer, I would love to know...
Если хочешь говорить со мной по скайпу, мой скайп нейм - jaakuuta
If you want to speak with me on Skype, my Skype name is jaakuuta

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2011-01-10, 4:16

Well, I can use Hieroglyphs on my computer, but this forum fails to post them. Just an error pops up...

I must say that it would take some major tweaking of a computer system to be able to use these. If I were an Egyptologist...I'd be pretty keen to translate my Linux system to Ancient Egyptian! :D

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-10, 5:25

Does anyone know where to find actual texts in Coptic? I've been searching around a bit on Amazon, Oxford's website, and Abebooks, and I've managed to find basically nada. Some Bibles and some Shenute are obviously high priorities.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2011-01-10, 5:48

KingHarvest wrote:Does anyone know where to find actual texts in Coptic? I've been searching around a bit on Amazon, Oxford's website, and Abebooks, and I've managed to find basically nada. Some Bibles and some Shenute are obviously high priorities.

http://remenkimi.com/
http://coptica.ch/
http://sahidica.warpco.com/

Just a few that come to my mind right now... Coptica has a bilingual Coptic-Greek Gospel of John, which I find highly useful. Sahidica has bilingual Bible text as well, but for some reason all the Greek is in capitals.

For the printed books, "Q-Thomas Reader" has the Coptic text of Thomas. Bentley Layton has a Gnotic Coptic reader and there is a (very pricey..) collection of Nag Hammadi texts in Coptic. I'm yet to see a Sheoute myself. :(

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-10, 5:57

I was afraid of that.

Partly because I'm a massive snob and partly because I have terrible vision, I can't really deal with reading long texts on a computer.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2011-01-10, 6:34

I can't really help the snob factor, but you could use an e-reader for the pdf texts, either an iPad or Kindle DX. It's quite a nuisance to read a pdf file (which is mostly in portrait) on a computer screen (which is mostly landscape). I found myself reading more electronic texts that I wouldn't have otherwise read after I got one.

Samsung's Galaxy Tab or small Kindle versions are not really that useful for reading devices (imo) but iPad and Kindle DX offer the screen size of an actual book. iPad has a clear LCD but Kindle's e-ink is easier on the eyes.

BTW, are you studying Coptic? Fantastic!

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-10, 19:44

Kindles and their ilk are an abomination before God, I refuse to buy one.

BTW, are you studying Coptic? Fantastic!

I'm deciding between Coptic and Persian to teach myself to read next month when I have money again. Looks like I'm leaning towards Persian if I'm going to need a university research library just to read anything in Coptic.
-A.E. Housman

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2011-01-11, 4:25

KingHarvest wrote:Kindles and their ilk are an abomination before God, I refuse to buy one.

We have 3 kindles in the house now. One has completely taken place of the magazine rack in the bathroom :)
I can lies back in bed and read now...amazing stuff I tell ya
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-11, 6:36

Why can't you lie back in bed and read a book?
-A.E. Housman

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-11, 20:03

For anyone interested, I have found the series Scriptores Coptici in the Corpus Scriptorum Christianorum Orientalium published by the University of Leuven that features a fair number of works in Coptic. Where there are two volumes of the same work, one is the original text and the other is a translation into French, English, German, or Latin.

This is the link for the catalogue, and you can order directly from them:
http://www.peeters-leuven.be/search_ser ... asp?nr=240
-A.E. Housman

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-01-12, 23:37

KingHarvest wrote:Kindles and their ilk are an abomination before God, I refuse to buy one.

Why? I'm debating on buying one, but I can't decide. I'd mostly just use it for books that I couldn't afford to buy real versions of and use it to read PDFs on.

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2011-01-12, 23:46

@KingHarvest: Oh yes, I came across that link as I was searching for Coptic stuff as well.. but living on a small flat, I already had more books than I could handle anyways so I didn't really consider it. The series has texts in other languages as well, like Syriac..

@ILuvEire: After about six months of indecision, I picked up an iPad. It gives you a more "screen-like" view since it's an LCD, rather than Kindle's e-ink. Zoom is easier on iPad as well, but it's a bit heavier (more than twice the weight compared to Kindle DX), so you might want to consider that as well. Some old book scans will crash or appear as blank (esp. ones from the Internet Archive), but for the most of the time, you'll be fine.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-01-12, 23:51

Karavinka wrote:@KingHarvest: Oh yes, I came across that link as I was searching for Coptic stuff as well.. but living on a small flat, I already had more books than I could handle anyways so I didn't really consider it. The series has texts in other languages as well, like Syriac..

They definitely have some good stuff!
Now I just need money . . . :whistle:

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”