Coptic/Egyptian

Moderator:Ashucky

ILuvEire
Re: Coptic/Egyptian

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-01-13, 0:28

Karavinka wrote:@ILuvEire: After about six months of indecision, I picked up an iPad. It gives you a more "screen-like" view since it's an LCD, rather than Kindle's e-ink. Zoom is easier on iPad as well, but it's a bit heavier (more than twice the weight compared to Kindle DX), so you might want to consider that as well. Some old book scans will crash or appear as blank (esp. ones from the Internet Archive), but for the most of the time, you'll be fine.
Yeah, the big reason I don't like the iPad is because it's too heavy, and it's an LCD. I don't really want a tablet, I want something that will make it easier for me to read things that I would normally read online, because my eyes quickly get too tired. I can't read any of the German novels I bought in PDF form, because I just can't stare at the screen for that long.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-13, 22:13

ILuvEire wrote:
KingHarvest wrote:Kindles and their ilk are an abomination before God, I refuse to buy one.

Why? I'm debating on buying one, but I can't decide. I'd mostly just use it for books that I couldn't afford to buy real versions of and use it to read PDFs on.

Mostly for aesthetic reasons, and my annoyance with modern society trying to make everything easy and immediate.

But for practical reasons they must be hell for doing research on.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-13, 22:15

Karavinka wrote:@KingHarvest: Oh yes, I came across that link as I was searching for Coptic stuff as well.. but living on a small flat, I already had more books than I could handle anyways so I didn't really consider it. The series has texts in other languages as well, like Syriac..

Yeah, I only accidentally found the Scriptores Coptici because I had been looking for a scholarly series of Syriac writers!
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Pelje

Postby Pelje » 2011-01-13, 22:30

The lyrics + translation for Nyarlathotep by Darkest of the Hillside Thickets can be found here:

http://lyrics.wikia.com/The_Darkest_Of_ ... arlathotep
2 Timothy 3:5

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2011-12-02, 8:01

http://khazarzar.skeptik.net/books/nhs/index.htm

Nag Hammadi Studies! Bilingual Coptic-English texts from the Nag Hammadi Library. Unfortunately, they're in facing pages so you'd better print them out if you want to compare easily. But between buying these individual volumes and printing out...

http://coptica.ch/223222/index.html

coptica.ch has some awesome new resources now. You can find the New Testament in various bilingual column combinations: Bohairic, Sahidic, Middle Egyptian (in the sense of central Egypt), Greek (NA27) and English KJV. Since you can see two languages in columns, it's easy to read them on a tablet, or even just on a regular monitor.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-12-02, 15:56

Yeah, the stuff over at copitca.ch is awesome. I found that site a few weeks ago. Forgot all about posting the link here though. It'll go a long way to boosting my Coptic studies. :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-12-19, 16:42

Anyone have any good spots online to get some Middle Egyptian (in the sense of Hieroglyphic Egyptian) texts?

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2011-12-26, 13:10

I got Lambdin's Coptic manual shipped on the 24th... yeah, I gave myself a little Christmas present. Out of 30 lessons, I'm pushing units 9/10. My first impression is that it's much easier and learner-friendly than Layton's Coptic in 20 Lessons, and although Lambdin's exercises are kind of overwhelming at times, they pay out in the end. I think it's going to take some serious amount of time before I really "get" the complex prepositional structure in Coptic. As Yoda said, "do it, or not, there's no try."

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-12-26, 19:21

Actually, he said: "Do. Or do not. There is no try."
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-16, 1:28

Been quite a while since this thread saw some action. I've found this interesting pdf that goes over how the draw/write Hieroglyphic Egyptian:

http://www.gizapyramids.org/pdf%20libra ... graphy.pdf

In other news, I've noticed just today that the U of California has put out an introductory text for Middle Egyptian now. I wonder how that stacks up with Allen's text, which is my current favorite.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-02-03, 9:37

Hello, I am resurrecting this thread because lately I got interested in Coptic. I think this could be because I am now studying Egyptian Arabic, and well, Coptic is also Egyptian :hmm:

I studied about 2 years of Ancient Greek in school, so I am able to read in the Greek alphabet. I have taken a look at Coptic alfabet and it’s not very different from Coptic.

So the question is, what about the vocabulary? Do you go directly for a dictionary? Do you make translations of texts like in Latin? Does Coptic vocabulary resembles (looks like :hmm: ) any other known language apart from the Greek loan words?

What is your experience about it?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-03, 10:32

I certainly can't answer all of your questions, but I can direct you to some good resources if you wish.

I personally have the textbook Introduction to Sahidic Coptic by Lambdin, but there is also 20 Lessons in Coptic by Layton (while I usually don't partake in advocating this kind of thing, you can find both rather easily in pdf format, just google them).

There are also some resources for Bohairic Coptic (which is still spoken as at least a liturgical language by Copts today). So You Want to Learn Coptic? and A Study in Bohairic Coptic come to mind.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-02-03, 10:39

księżycowy wrote:I certainly can't answer all of your questions, but I can direct you to some good resources if you wish

Thank you! I appreciate any help. I am very curious about this language :yep:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-03, 10:57

Happy to help in anyway I can!

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-03-09, 19:12

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”