Old Norse

Moderator: Ashucky

Bijlee

Re: Old Norse

Postby Bijlee » 2013-06-30, 5:23

księżycowy wrote:I've been curious to know what Viking Language 1 is like. I almost bought it when I learned it came out, but I held off.

Well if you're still interested, I'd recommend it. It seems more geared at teaching than A New Introduction to Old Norse, which I think seems more like it is a description of the language. Each chapter has a culture section and a reading(which gets broken down into vocabulary and grammar parts). Most have sections which talk about runes. There's exercises for the chapters too.

That's about the limit to my describing abilities... :oops:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-06-30, 11:32

I'm most interested in the sections on runes. Are there any readings in runes?

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-06-30, 14:18

They're readings off of runestones. It'll give you a picture of the stone, then write out the runes and give a transliteration and the standardized version. Then there'll be a vocabulary list, like with all the readings. I'll just take a picture for you....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-06-30, 18:40

So it's not bound to just Old Icelandic then, I would assume. Cool, I might pick up a copy in a little while. I've been interested in Old East Norse for a while now.

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-06-30, 23:17

While some of the runic readings are in different dialects than Old Icelandic, the books won't be teaching you any of them. I wouldn't recommend this for other dialects.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-06-30, 23:54

Ah, so it's runic text in Old Icelandic?

Still cool. I just like runes in general. :P

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-07-01, 0:15

Well I haven't gotten through the whole book yet, but they definitely tried not to stray from the standard. At least a majority are in Old Icelandic. Certainly you won't be learning the East Norse dialect either way :(
But yup, runes are awesome :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-01, 0:20

Ah, no loss. I'm sure I'll have enough fun with Old Icelandic.

It is a shame, though, that most textbooks (if not all) are for Old Icelandic and not anything for Eastern Norse. But if things go like I want them to for Norwegian/Swedish/Danish, I'll be able to get things from there. Or maybe even German.

Anywho, thanks for all the info on the book. I think I will get around to getting a copy.

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2013-07-05, 3:57

A very tempting buy, I must say.

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”