Latin or Ancient Greek?

Latin
58%
Ancient Greek
42%

Total votes: 52

Sectori

Postby Sectori » 2007-09-14, 2:00

ego wrote:I will try to be objective :lol: .

Ancient Greek is the coolest language I have seen. The grammar is so sophisticated and the expressions so elegant and it's amazing you can say so many things using just 2-3 words..

I never liked Latin but everyone who has studied it says it's much more easy than ancient Greek

Latin is a cheap imitation of Greek. Although I suppose a cheap imitation is better than nothing.

As an aside, Sanskrit also pwns Latin, and is on par with Greek for coolness by virtue of having awesome grammatical analyses built in by the old Sanskrit grammarians.
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

HerrFraeulein

Postby HerrFraeulein » 2007-09-16, 15:58

Makrasiroutioun wrote:Res ipse loquitur, sumus certus!

Fluent Latin....hmmmm....Distinguo!

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2007-09-16, 17:11

Sectori wrote:As an aside, Sanskrit also pwns Latin, and is on par with Greek for coolness by virtue of having awesome grammatical analyses built in by the old Sanskrit grammarians.

Sanskrit is merely a conlang!
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

@Emandir

0stsee

Sansekerta

Postby 0stsee » 2007-09-16, 17:14

Emandir wrote:
Sectori wrote:As an aside, Sanskrit also pwns Latin, and is on par with Greek for coolness by virtue of having awesome grammatical analyses built in by the old Sanskrit grammarians.

Sanskrit is merely a conlang!

I thought Sanskrit were well preserved in writings. :?:
Ini tandatanganku.

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2007-09-16, 17:30

Sanskrit has been made up by grammarians from the Indian languages that were then spoken as an attempt to reach the "perfect language" (sanskrit means perfect.)
It has then been use to (re)write the books of Hinduism and thus has been preserved.
But nothing like Sanskrit has ever been spoken by people as a common language.

@Emandir

0stsee

Sansekerta

Postby 0stsee » 2007-09-16, 17:43

Emandir wrote:Sanskrit has been made up by grammarians from the Indian languages that were then spoken as an attempt to reach the "perfect language" (sanskrit means perfect.)
It has then been use to (re)write the books of Hinduism and thus has been preserved.

Wow, that was pretty genius of them.
You're right. If that's the case then Sanskrit can be called a conlang.
Any comparison in other languages, where you pick different languages in attempt to create a "perfect" one? Other than conlangs in a sense we'd understood today (In a sense that Sanskrit is different because even though it was "made up", it had huge impacts on other languages, including the Indian languages themselves. A bunch of Southeast Asian languages were also affected, including Indonesian. One can't really say the same of Esperanto or Ido.).

Btw, here's a link to a thread about Sanskrit.
Ini tandatanganku.

Sectori

Postby Sectori » 2007-09-16, 20:45

Emandir wrote:But nothing like Sanskrit has ever been spoken by people as a common language.

False.
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

Nero

Postby Nero » 2007-09-16, 22:11

Emandir wrote:Sanskrit has been made up by grammarians from the Indian languages that were then spoken as an attempt to reach the "perfect language" (sanskrit means perfect.)

The world is also controlled by the freemasons. OH NOES

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2007-09-17, 8:23

Sectori wrote:
Emandir wrote:But nothing like Sanskrit has ever been spoken by people as a common language.

False.

Sure! And I have heard about people who speak daily Esperanto with their family! :shock:

Nero wrote:The world is also controlled by the freemasons. OH NOES

So what? It's easy to say someone's wrong without giving any evidence! That's the thing I hate most!
I don't pretend to know everything. I just say what I've read. If you think it's wrong, well, prove it, I'd be happy to know the "truth"! :?

@Emandir

Nero

Postby Nero » 2007-09-17, 10:25

I thought it was just a proven fact that Sanskrit existed and has been around for a couple thousand years - to question it is like saying the sky isn't blue :shock:

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2007-09-17, 10:44

Emandir wrote:
Sectori wrote:

False.

Sure! And I have heard about people who speak daily Esperanto with their family! :shock:

Yeah, sanskrit is spoken in a village of india as the native language. Also, although Sanskrit as most languages have a special form for poetry, it was spoken in a daily basis in the days of old (just like latin, did you expect anybody spoke latin like then one in Virgil's Eneid?).

http://opd.tamu.edu/seminar-materials/seminar-materials-by-date/nsf_sbe_bcs_cultural-anthropology-sample-proposal-6.pdf
Not available

0stsee

Sansekerta

Postby 0stsee » 2007-09-17, 13:37

renata wrote:
Emandir wrote:
Sectori wrote:

False.

Yeah, sanskrit is spoken in a village of india as the native language. Also, although Sanskrit as most languages have a special form for poetry, it was spoken in a daily basis in the days of old (just like latin, did you expect anybody spoke latin like then one in Virgil's Eneid?).

An interesting comparison is German.
Written Hochdeutsch was originally also made up from German dialects in the Middle and South of Germany. It is hard to say that no one spoke it that way.

In the Arabic world and Indonesia, nobody in daily life speaks MSA or Indonesian the way it's written. I really asked myself at times, where written Indonesian came from. It must've been spoken somewhere at some time. Or perhaps it's comparable to the nascency of Hochdeutsch. :?:
Ini tandatanganku.

0stsee

Re: Sansekerta

Postby 0stsee » 2007-09-17, 14:52

0stsee wrote:

Wow, that was pretty genius of them.
You're right. If that's the case then Sanskrit can be called a conlang.
Any comparison in other languages, where you pick different languages in attempt to create a "perfect" one?

I found the answer to my own question again. :oops: The language I spoken most often today is one example: Hochdeutsch. :oops:
Ini tandatanganku.

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2007-09-17, 15:50

Nero wrote:I thought it was just a proven fact that Sanskrit existed and has been around for a couple thousand years - to question it is like saying the sky isn't blue :shock:

Excuse-me if I'm rude, but that's the stupidest argument ever! You may have said as well "it is like saying that Jesus is not the son of God"! :shock:

renata wrote:Yeah, sanskrit is spoken in a village of india as the native language. Also, although Sanskrit as most languages have a special form for poetry, it was spoken in a daily basis in the days of old (just like latin, did you expect anybody spoke latin like then one in Virgil's Eneid?).

Can't you people read what we write instead of what you want to read? :roll:

Of course Sanskrit is not a conlang in the way it has not been made up ex nihilo!
It is the "rationalization" of an Indo-Arian language (that we don't know!) by grammarians (best known is Panini).
The fact that some people tried to make it a living language doesn't change anything to this fact: those attempt have been made long after Sanskrit was made.

Wikipedia wrote:The oldest surviving Sanskrit grammar is Pāṇini's Aṣṭādhyāyī ("Eight-Chapter Grammar") dating to circa the 5th century BC. It is essentially a prescriptive grammar, i.e., an authority that defines (rather than describes) correct Sanskrit

You can't compare Sanskrit with Latin which is more like modern French, that has a fixed form for writing when the spoken one evolves by his one.
Sanskrit is more like Modern Hebrew, which has been made up, upon Biblical, when the State of Israel has been created and needed a language.

Now, again, if you think I'm wrong, I'll be glad to be set stright...

@Emandir

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-09-17, 16:24

Emandir wrote:Of course Sanskrit is not a conlang in the way it has not been made up ex nihilo!
It is the "rationalization" of an Indo-Arian language (that we don't know!) by grammarians (best known is Panini).
The fact that some people tried to make it a living language doesn't change anything to this fact: those attempt have been made long after Sanskrit was made.

That’s what I remember reading about it myself.

Isso é o que eu me lembro de ter lido também.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

0stsee

Made up languages

Postby 0stsee » 2007-09-17, 17:37

Emandir wrote:Sanskrit is more like Modern Hebrew, which has been made up, upon Biblical, when the State of Israel has been created and needed a language.

So the languages that were more or less "made up" are:
Sanskrit
Hebrew
Indonesian
:?:
Hochdeutsch/German
(Classical) Latin

I don't really know what's the background of MSA. So I don't know if it could be included there.
Ini tandatanganku.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2007-09-17, 17:41

scholars agree that the arabic that appears in preislamic poetry and in the quran was never spoken as it appears, being it a "consensus" between speakers of the numerous dialects of a arabic that existed in teh arabian peninsule,
Not available

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2007-09-17, 17:51

And now the poll has come to a draw :D

loqu

Postby loqu » 2007-09-17, 19:49

I think it's Latin who pwns Ancient Greek rather than the other way round. But I am of course biased.

MarK, you love making lists, don't you? :P
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

0stsee

Si

Postby 0stsee » 2007-09-17, 22:21

Yes I do, Antonio Daniel.
Ini tandatanganku.

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”