Latin
58%
Ancient Greek
42%

Total votes: 52

TaylorS
Re: Latin or Ancient Greek

Postby TaylorS » 2008-11-26, 5:39

I like both, but I prefer the "feel" of classically-pronounced Latin, I find the Ancient Greek pitch accent to actually be rather annoying at times, and I have great difficulty pronouncing the pitch accent and the contrast between aspirated and unaspirated stop consonants, while Latin pronunciation and stress is very straightforward for an English speaker with exposure to Spanish and Italian. I also find Ancient Greek inflectional grammar intimidatingly complex, while with Latin the verbal inflections are familiar through my knowledge of Spanish.

Here is a wonderfully recited example of Classical Latin, part of one of Cicero's speeches.

http://www.rhapsodes.fll.vt.edu/cicero.htm
Native: English
Learning: Spanish, Latin

Linguistic Interests: Historical Linguistics, Typology, Phonology, Phonetics, Morphology.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Latin or Ancient Greek

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-14, 16:30

Okay, I find Latin a lot easier than Greek, but I don't particularly prefer one or the other, and:
Sectori wrote:Latin is a cheap imitation of Greek.

This is just wrong. It's like saying English is a cheap imitation of French.
Emandir wrote:
Sectori wrote:As an aside, Sanskrit also pwns Latin, and is on par with Greek for coolness by virtue of having awesome grammatical analyses built in by the old Sanskrit grammarians.

Sanskrit is merely a conlang!

All of this is also wrong. It's like calling every single written language in the world a conlang. :roll:
Emandir wrote:Sanskrit has been made up by grammarians from the Indian languages that were then spoken as an attempt to reach the "perfect language" (sanskrit means perfect.)
It has then been use to (re)write the books of Hinduism and thus has been preserved.
But nothing like Sanskrit has ever been spoken by people as a common language.

And so is all of this. It wasn't "made up by grammarians" anymore than written French or English was.

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”