papiamentu language learning

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2005-11-03, 11:13

I'll attempt for a translation later.
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

toksave

Postby toksave » 2005-11-04, 0:38

thanks expug, feel free to translate :D

toksave

Postby toksave » 2005-11-04, 2:01

what do you guys think if i create a thread on the culture of the ABC islands, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao?

Sander

Postby Sander » 2005-11-04, 12:23

toksave wrote:what do you guys think if i create a thread on the culture of the ABC islands, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao?

Yeah sure, as long as you'll be soft on the colonial rulers :D

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2005-11-04, 13:57

I'll post both English and Portuguese, just in case my English messes it up:

My source:
http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org

toksave wrote:LIMA, - Mas o ménos mei mion di persona a bishitá santana “Nueva Esperanza” di Lima, un di e santananan mas grandi di Peru, pa resa dilanti di graf di nan famia ku a fayesé, kompañá pa serbes, bailenan i muzik.
“Dia di tur Santu”, selebrá ayera na Peru, a keda probechá pa habitantenan di Lima pa bishitá nan sernan kerí den e santana aki di 64 hèktar di ekstenshon, den distrito di Villa Maria del Triunfo, di e kapital.
E atmiradónan a sigurá ku tin 100.000 graf den e santana aki, for di dia di su fundashon na 1960.
Hendenan tabata sende bela pa honra memoria di nan sernan kerí i nan tabata bebe “chicha de jora” (un bebida di maishi).
Hòmbernan fuma tabata kana trompeká, miéntras nan tabata kanta pa nan famianan ku a fayesé.
Entre e orkestanan ku tabata brinda muzik p’e bishitantenan, por a skucha muzik típiko di provinsia Grau, di departamentu di Apurimac.
“Tur aña nos ta bini aki pa gana algun sèn pa toka pa e mortonan”, Juan Ramón Pumacahua, a bisa, kende ta direktor di e orkesta.

LIMA, - About 0.5 million people have visited the cemetery "Nueva Esperanza" in Lima, one of the largest cemeteries in Peru, in order to pray in at the tomb of their relatives who died, with beer, dances and music.

The "All Saint's Day", celebrated yesterday in Peru, was used by Lima's inhabitants for visiting their loved beings at this 64 hectares-long cemetery, in the Villa Maria del Triunfo district, in the capital.

The admirers assured that there are 100.000 tombs at this cemetery, E atmiradónan a sigurá ku tin 100.000 graf den e santana aki, since the day of its fundation in 1960.

People were sending candles in order to honour the memory of their endeared beings and were drinking "chica de jora" (a morning beverage).
The men were smoking ??? kana trompeká, , as they sung to their deceased relatives.

Among the orchestras that offered their music to the visitors, one could hear the music which is typical of the province Grau, at the department of Apurimac.
"We've been coming here every year to play for the dead people and earn some money", says Juan Ramón Pumacahua, the ochestra's director.

LIMA, - Cerca de meio milão de pessoas visitaram o cemitério "Nova Esperança" em Lima, um dos maiores cemitérios do Peru, para rezar diante dos túmulos de seus familiares que faleceram, acompanhadas de cerveja, danças e música.
Os habitantes de Lima aproveitaram o "Dia de Todos os Santos", celebrado ontem no Peru, para visitarem seus entes queridos no cemitério de 64 hectares de extensão, localizado no distrito de Villa Maria del Triunfo, na capital.

Os fiéis garantiram que havia 100.000 túmulos no cemitério, desde o dia de sua fundação em 1960.

As pessoas levavam velas para honrarem a memoria de seus entes queridos e bebiam "chica de jora"(uma bebida matinal).
Os homens estavam fumando ??? kana trompeká, ,enquanto cantavam para os seus familiares falecidos.
Entre as orquestras que brindaram os visitantes com sua música, pôde-se ouvir a música típica da província Grau, do departamento de Apurimac.
"Todo ano nós vimos aqui para ganhar algum dinheiro para tocar para os mortos.", disse Juan Ramón Pumacahua, que é diretor da orquestra.

Questions:

1. Where does santana, for cemetery, come from? It reminds me from the Portuguese/Spanish surname "Santana", a contraction of Santa + Ana (that is, Saint Ana).
2. "den e santana aki" is that a common usage for saying "in this cemetery (here)"? I mean, that usage with definite article before the noun and then adverb of place after the noun acting like a demonstrative.
3. "for" , i don't quite get it, is it a preposition like Dutch voor, before?
4.Tabata is the past tense of ta?
5. sende means to send, to take?
6. "Hòmbernan fuma" is fuma an adjective or a verb? Does it mean drunk, intoxicated or just smoking men (=men who smoke)
7. What's the meaning of "kana" and "trompeká"?
8. Is nan both a subject and a possessive pronoun, besides being a plural marker? Does it mean they, theirs?
9. "por a eskuchá" - verb without subject pronoun + passive particible makes a passive voice here. is it enough just to use the verb without subject, in order to make the passive voice? or is there usually the need of some impersonal pronoun?

Huh, a tough text! i hope i've learned a lot from it!
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

toksave

Postby toksave » 2005-11-04, 20:01

expug, thanks for posting your translations in both english and portuguese. :D

Questions:

1. Where does santana, for cemetery, come from? It reminds me from the Portuguese/Spanish surname "Santana", a contraction of Santa + Ana (that is, Saint Ana).
2. "den e santana aki" is that a common usage for saying "in this cemetery (here)"? I mean, that usage with definite article before the noun and then adverb of place after the noun acting like a demonstrative.
3. "for" , i don't quite get it, is it a preposition like Dutch voor, before?
4.Tabata is the past tense of ta?
5. sende means to send, to take?
6. "Hòmbernan fuma" is fuma an adjective or a verb? Does it mean drunk, intoxicated or just smoking men (=men who smoke)
7. What's the meaning of "kana" and "trompeká"?
8. Is nan both a subject and a possessive pronoun, besides being a plural marker? Does it mean they, theirs?
9. "por a eskuchá" - verb without subject pronoun + passive particible makes a passive voice here. is it enough just to use the verb without subject, in order to make the passive voice? or is there usually the need of some impersonal pronoun?

answers
1. i'm not sure of the origin of "santana", but i guess it must be a name dedicated to a ship, since some papiamentu words are names from portuguese ships.
2. "aki" is treated like the word "this" in many cases,but you got it.
3. since papiamentu has dutch origin, i would guess that "for" comes from "voor", (for di) means "from" just like you used it.
4. "tabata" is the past tense of "ta" its like spanish "estaba" or english "was".
5. "sende" means "to light" (lighting candels).
6. "hombernan fuma" means "drunk men" and "to smoke" is "huma" with h.
7. "kana" means "to walk", but i really have no idea what "trompeka" is.
8. "nan" is "they, them, their" and also the plural marker.
9. from what i have seen in not just papiamentu but also other creoles, you can add the verb without the pronoun before it.

i hope you enjoyed it i'll do this again soon

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2005-11-04, 22:16

Oh, sende is just like Portuguese "acender" then, meaning the same :shock:

perhaps trompeka would come from portuguese "tropeçar" (to strumble)which I even hear as "tropicar" in informal/regional language. That makes sense for drunk men :D , like they were walking and strumbling.

I googled a bit, and found some results for trompeka:

...ku ne kuidou pa bo no trompeka kai...
which didn't care for you not to stumble and fall
que não cuidou para você não tropeçar e cair

mi ta cana bon riba sapato halto anto trompeka
i was walking fine on tall/high shoes until (or before) i stumbled
eu estava andando bem em cima de um sapato alto até (ou antes de) tropeçar...

I love this language :D

toksave

Postby toksave » 2005-11-05, 20:18

i will start to edit some parts of previous lessons
i will do this in this colour, the new details will showup un red

toksave

Postby toksave » 2005-11-06, 4:41

lesson 1.5
days and months

days of the week/dianan di siman
djaluna = monday
djamars = tuesday
djawebs = wednesday
djarazon = thursday
djabierns = freiday
djasabra = saturday
djadomingo = sunday

awe = today
ayera = yesterday
mañan = tomorrow

months/luna
januari = january
februari = february
maart = march
april = april
mei = may
juni = june
juli = july
augustus = august
september = september
oktober = october
november = november
december = december

note: the months in papiamentu are the same as in dutch

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2005-11-10, 10:39

Time for posting another article, toksave! :D

toksave

Postby toksave » 2005-11-11, 14:44

sorry i've been away for so long, but my father was sleeping in my room for the past week.

i'll bring in another article

toksave

Postby toksave » 2005-11-13, 18:01

international news from "la prensa" a papiamentu news engine.

WASHINGTON, - Polisnan di Merka ta buskando na estado di Virginia un dama ladron di bankonan ku un estilo hopi partikular: papiando animá i trankilamente na telefòn selular miéntras e tabata kometé e delito.

Imágennan di kámaranan di seguridat emití awe pa kadena di televishon CNN a mustra un hende muhé koló brùin di mas o ménos 20 aña i 1.60 meter di haltura ku su mannan hòrtando i telefòn pegá na su orea.

“Ta promé bia ku mi ta rekòrdá un krímen manera esaki, okurí miéntras e persona tabata usa un telefòn selular”, bosero di polis di kondado di Loudoun (Virginia), Kraig Troxell, a bisa.

Ela agregá: “E kuestion ta si ta’tin òf no hende n’e otro banda di e linea”.

E hende muhé a ataká otro tres sukursal di Banko Wachovia den kondadonan Fairfax i Prince William.

Pa e promé tres fechoria, e dama a entregá kaheronan un kaha di sapatu ku un nota ku ta informá nan ku ta trata di un atrako i e ke sèn, ounke polisnan ainda no kier a konfirmá kua tabata e mensahe eksakto.

Sin interkambiá mas ku un par di palabra ku e empleadonan, segun testigunan, e dama ladron tabata mas interesá den e kòmbersashon telefóniko. E muhé a aseptá e sèn i a bandoná e banko sin separá di su telefòn selular pegá na su orea.

Sinembargo, durante su di kuater aktuashon, dia 4 di novèmber último, e dama a yega mas leu i a apuntá un kahero ku pistol.

Polisnan no sa pa kiko ela ataká solamente sukursalnan di Banko Wachovia i ainda no a informá kuantu sèn e dama ladron a reuní den su kuater atrako.

hope you find it intersting

Hebertvs

Postby Hebertvs » 2005-11-27, 13:30

hello here!! a question,, here in unilang can i find a online course of this language?

toksave

Postby toksave » 2005-11-27, 20:09

Hebertvs wrote:hello here!! a question,, here in unilang can i find a online course of this language?

here in unilang, other than me, i don't think you'll find anything available since i'm the onlyone doing the vsl, i have tried to check for other courses but had no luck at finding them..

:D but i'll be glad to help with anything

Hebertvs

Postby Hebertvs » 2005-11-28, 11:59

toksave wrote:
Hebertvs wrote:hello here!! a question,, here in unilang can i find a online course of this language?

here in unilang, other than me, i don't think you'll find anything available since i'm the onlyone doing the vsl, i have tried to check for other courses but had no luck at finding them..

:D but i'll be glad to help with anything

ok thanks--- well I would like to know 1st the basic things about this langauge.. how can i pronunce it? :wink:

see you

toksave

Postby toksave » 2005-11-29, 2:06

i suggest you to start with the begining lessons,
lesson 1 tells you the pronounciation. well, to save you the trouble, papiamentu is pronounced just like spanish except it is more natural, example
"quien" = who would be written "ken" and pronounced the same way as its written, k as in kitten, e as in end, and n as in no.

Hebertvs

Postby Hebertvs » 2005-11-30, 15:59

toksave wrote:i suggest you to start with the begining lessons,
lesson 1 tells you the pronounciation. well, to save you the trouble, papiamentu is pronounced just like spanish except it is more natural, example
"quien" = who would be written "ken" and pronounced the same way as its written, k as in kitten, e as in end, and n as in no.

ok thank!! :D

toksave

Postby toksave » 2005-12-05, 16:09

i have been away for a couple of days, i think i will have access to internet today, i need to know if everyone is following this forum?

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2005-12-06, 14:49

i surely am, toksave!

I just need to get some time to do the 2nd article...

ladyskywalker

Postby ladyskywalker » 2005-12-18, 14:40

Just been checking out this language school. Looks very interesting and might consider following the course as I already have a good knowledge of most of the languages Papiamentu is derived from. :)

Look forward to seeing more lessons in future. :)

<a href="http://aspiringpolyglotblog.wordpress.com/" target="_blank"><b>Aspiring Polyglot</b></a> - A blog devoted to languages and language learning

<b>Languages I'm Learning -</b> Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Dutch, Italian
<b>Languages I'd Like to Learn -</b> Ancient Egyptian, Romanian, Georgian, Modern Greek, Indonesian, Tibetan, Persian

Return to “Creoles and Pidgins”