Gullah

PseudoSkull
Gullah

Postby PseudoSkull » 2016-12-13, 15:09

This is the main creole language of my state. I have 2 books on the language. Anyone else happen to be interested?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Gullah

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-11, 8:39

Sorry for the late reply. My advisor works on Gullah. There's a very conservative variety of it spoken not all that far away from where I live (that's the one he works on in particular).

If you don't mind me asking, what are the titles of these two books, and who wrote them? :)

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-02, 0:52

So I looked up for the language and found this.
To see the all the articles about Gullah language, check the Gullah section in the menu bar between the site's header and main display.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-02, 18:39

Thanks, atalarikt!

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-11, 2:40

I found this 4-minute YouTube video which provides the language's basic words and explains the etymological origins of some of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WZMrSj3pkU
You might want to activate the subtitle, as the audio quality isn't pretty good.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-14, 6:16

Thanks for sharing, atalarikt! :)

Return to “Creoles and Pidgins”